THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Newbie with 2016 M235i

11-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
wichitagreg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Cabriolet

Newbie with 2016 M235i

So after looking around I can't find a "Welcome" thread so will just jump in.

Just picked up a 2016 M235i Convertible with 18k miles. Just had the oil changed at a 5 minute change place and I reset oil change indicator but the Information center says it needs a service since 07/2018. Still under factory warranty for another 12 months. I understand the services included for 4/50 are not transferable.

For the bad news, the left rear stop/turn/tail quit working today, second day I've owned it. I will take it back to the selling Chrysler dealer and they will fix it or take it to BMW to have it fixed.

My question is, if it goes to BMW, should I tell them to perform any needed service? I think at least brake fluid. Anyone care to give me a guess on the cost of a service?

I'm a Harley rider, and services are every 5,000 miles, and a simple fluid change and "inspect and adjust" runs around $400. More intense services can run $800. I'm willing to pay for this service and hope to be able to DIY after warranty runs out, just don't want to have to take out a loan to pay for this service.

This car is a toy/touring, like my Harley. Daily driver is an old F150, so I don't need to worry about loss of use or down time.

Thanks for your patience and I usually don't ask stupid questions but I need to decide by tomorrow to have the service performed.

Greg
Center Point Texas
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitagreg View Post
Just had the oil changed at a 5 minute change place and I reset oil change indicator but the Information center says it needs a service since 07/2018. Still under factory warranty for another 12 months.
If you didn't provide your own oil to the oil change place, I would ensure your oil change receipt shows an oil that meets the BMW LL01 specification was used, otherwise the warranty on the engine will be unlikely to be honoured if there is a failure and the oil was inadequate, as most quick change oil places are unlikely to have a suitable oil available. I would also confirm that they changed the oil filter, as it needs to be done at each oil change, and reset the oil change interval reminder.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Castrol Edge ACEA A3/B4 5W30
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Greg did u get a service maintenance manual booklet with your car ?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Greg did u get a service maintenance manual booklet with your car ?
No I didn't. I think when the selling dealer takes it in (to the BMW dealer) I will ask them to have whatever service is due done. On my nickel. Dealership is going to be handling getting the tail light fixes as I am headed out of town for two weeks.

Just trying to get a handle on how much to expect. Found some posts ranging for "all it needs is a $60 oil change" to a post from England with over 700 Pounds for just a service.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Kevinduma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I bought my M235i a few months ago, the dealership said they did a full service but when I got the car delivered(bought the car out of state), it also said I needed an oil change with a past due date. I took it to BMW Grapevine as they do a complimentary check and gave my car a full inspection and reset the service indicator.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Hijacking my own thread, does anyone know if any of the BMW Extended Service Contract (extended warranty) covers the convertible top and it's electrical and mechanical components?

Is $3189 for 2 more (6 year contract) and 75k miles on the BMW premium a good deal? Car has one year factory left with only 18k miles on the clock. Clearly a garage queen.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Congrats and welcome. Not sure I'm getting your situation, but especially why you would have the Chrysler dealer acting as middleman w/ BMW (or am I getting that wrong?). I have lots of trust issues, so it may just be my own quirks, but that would make me uneasy. If you aren't getting the free maintenance then I'd find a good reputable shop to do the routine work - as noted, it needs to be up to BMW specs. I think DIY is also OK, as long as you use OEM parts. Mike Miller (BMW CCA tech advisor) has good schedules for maintenance that are better than factory recc's. Unless you are good friends w/ the owner, I'd avoid those quickie oil change places - if s/t expensive happens BMW tests the oil, not the paperwork, and those places are notorious for subbing in cheaper parts and fluids than what they list on the invoices (along with not replacing drain plugs, etc.); even if you don't blow a motor, it probably shortens the lifespan significantly to run crap oil. The local indie import garage here also does free track inspections, which is a nice way to get a good lookover of all the suspension/brakes, etc. And IIRC, brake flush was about $100-120 w/ fluids - didn't want the dealer doing my pre-track work, just to be on the safe (paranoid?) side, but they did happily replace my totally roached out pads/discs at the end of the season w/o questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #9
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Thanks Maynard, let me expound...

I bought the car from a Chrysler Dealer in Tulsa on Saturday....had the oil changed on Sunday because the dash warning said due since 07/18 (paranoia). Also noticed on Sunday that left rear light group was not illuminating, so I called the selling dealer to get it fixed as I was to be out of town till Wednesday and going home to Texas on Thursday (time crunch).

So when I jockeyed it around to get my truck out on Monday the rear lights all worked so I figured when the selling dealer ran it through their car wash some water got in behind the lens (see BMW TSB on the ground).

So I purchased a 6/75 ESP today and have an appointment at Tulsa BMW tomorrow for 'any needed service'. I declined the Maintenance extension at $1600+.

I'm learning quickly. I will show my oil change receipt to the service writer and follow his suggestion if I should change it again. I will probably change every 5k miles. Will establish a relationship with my San Antonio BMW Service writer.

Greg
Appreciate 0