E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Results of the 2.0D 177 BHP Remap

Closed Thread

07-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Results of the 2.0D 177 BHP Remap

Dyno testing has been carried out on the development car after a few thousand KM's has been put on it.

220 BHP and 437Nm Torque....

I know lots of people are waiting for this...just waiting for our new remapping tool to be delivered to us which should be about 2 weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Cool, is this the first remap for the 177BHP diesel? I know there's powerboxes, but to my understanding a remap is much better.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Cool, is this the first remap for the 177BHP diesel? I know there's powerboxes, but to my understanding a remap is much better.
The only results I am aware of. We should hopefully be one of the first if not the first company in the UK to offer this remap to customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
do you know the costs yet for this map, i have a friend thats having a nov 08 320d 177 and he may have it mapped
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
RCE
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d (E91)

This was made in Portugal as we can see by the test.

BMW 335d E91 Kit M-Sport in www.autofans.pt
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

That's good - the VAG PD170 remaps to about 205.

Was this an otherwise stock car?
      07-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe. Stock no more!

What's the score with these maps? Do you just buy them from this chap in Portugal and load them on via a laptop? I see you have photoshopped your name onto the plot, so is it a map that any tuner can buy, then load with the correct lead and software?

220bhp is a huge power hike for a 2 litre diesel. That's 110bhp per litre, which is a higher output than a CSL! Do you offer a warranty if anything goes wrong?

A 'tuner' who is local to me reckons he will be doing the 320d remap later this month, but I wouldn't trust him with my wheelbarrow. I had a bad experience with a company a few years ago who totally screwed up ecu on a 325i, then failed to sort it out. Strangely enough, when I type in their name on forums, the name usually gets blanked out.

My Sister is talking about getting hers done, but I told her to hang on until some good reviews start coming through. Her husband has sadly cancelled his order for a new M3, which I was really looking forward to comparing to my 335d.

Last edited by Yellow Snow; 07-12-2008 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy335 View Post
What's the score with these maps? Do you just buy them from this chap in Portugal and load them on via a laptop? I see you have photoshopped your name onto the plot, so is it a map that any tuner can buy, then load with the correct lead and software?
We share the development of the base tunes with a couple of companies across Europe so these companies will be the only ones that will have access to these maps. The test car happens to be in Portugal. We can then tweak the base tunes as required like we did on Jules car recently to great effect - one of the benefits of owning a well respected rolling road. I'm sure there will be a few tuners claiming similar power but we can always back up our claims on the rolling road.

It is quite obvious I have photoshopped our name onto the image so other people can not claim it as their own tuning as we have seen done in the past.

In September we should hopefully have a solution which will allow customers to switch between standard and remapped state themselves. More details on this next month.

Quote:
220bhp is a huge power hike for a 2 litre diesel. That's 110bhp per litre, which is a higher output than a CSL! Do you offer a warranty if anything goes wrong?
IIRC your car is tuned to a quoted 350 BHP. That is 116 BHP per litre which is even higher. Please let me know if I am missing your point and I will try to address it? You are comparing a NA car to a Turbo charged car. We have had 270 BHP out of a 1.8T VAG engine with standard internals. Thats 150 BHP per litre!

We are speaking to an underwriter regarding warranty at the moment but even Superchips recently lost their ability to offer a warranty which was underwritten by Firebond. Obviously any warranty would be reflected in the price. Most modders esp on this forum are savvy enough to know the situation with regards to warranty. I am sure it has been discussed many times.

In any event we are fully insured to specifically carry out ECU remapping and can show our insurance certificate to any customer who requires. I know for a fact that it is very difficult and very expensive to obtain such insurance and doubt most "tuning" companies have similar insurance due to the expense.

Quote:
A 'tuner' who is local to me reckons he will be doing the 320d remap later this month, but I wouldn't trust him with my wheelbarrow. I had a bad experience with a company a few years ago who totally screwed up ecu on a 325i, then failed to sort it out. Strangely enough, when I type in their name on forums, the name usually gets blanked out.
I have heard many similar stories - not good at all. I think a lot of people have been burnt by "mobile mappers" with no base or companies with bad reputations.

Quote:
My Sister is talking about getting hers done, but I told her to hang on until some good reviews start coming through. Her husband has sadly cancelled his order for a new M3, which I was really looking forward to comparing to my 335d.
Very wise to see how others are getting on first if you can resist temptation.

I look forward to to your questions when we release details of the 335i remap, now that we have answered your questions about details of the other remaps we have posted on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
do you know the costs yet for this map, i have a friend thats having a nov 08 320d 177 and he may have it mapped
We anticipate a RRP of £500 and will be offering discounts on group buys and forums.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe.Racer View Post
That's good - the VAG PD170 remaps to about 205.

Was this an otherwise stock car?
Hi Phil

Yes this was an otherwise stock car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE View Post
This was made in Portugal as we can see by the test.
I have seen some good BMW diesel tuning come out of Portugal recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Canard
Registered
Rep
Drives: Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Only two things I have to say to you Imran, 287bhp and 410 lbs/ft
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Nice one Imran and Sal. Awesome power out of a 4 pot diesel turbo.

WHat do you think the 123d engine can be tuned to in the future with a re-map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canard View Post

Welcome to the Forum Canard!

Please enlighten us to what car your talking about mate?

Carlos
      07-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
RCE
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Nice one Imran and Sal. Awesome power out of a 4 pot diesel turbo.

WHat do you think the 123d engine can be tuned to in the future with a re-map?

Carlos
In Portugal we already re-map 123d!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #15
RCE
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post

In Portugal, we have two of best chiptuners in the world!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #16
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCE View Post
In Portugal we already re-map 123d!
How much power an torque?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
RCE
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
How much power an torque?
450Nm but i don't know that chiptunner

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #18
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canard View Post
Now that does sound a bit too much for a 2 litre. Do you have any dyno charts for it.

@Imran. What I meant was 220bhp sounds like quite a hike for a 2 litre for everyday driving. My 335d is reputed to be 350bhp and 700nm which is, as you say around the same specific output as your 2 litre conversion. I just assume that the 335 is a much tougher unit, and can easily take it. I am more than happy with mine, but realise that I may have to have it re flashed at warranty time. I don't mind a bit of ducking and diving on these occasions.

My sister however just wants to jump in and drive a quicker car with no issues at all. I know that's difficult. She wants the best of both worlds. Do you think a tuning box would be a better option for her. Is it something that she can simply unplug if 'needs be'?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have always had mine mapped, and would never bother with a tuning box. I just don't want her moaning at me if things go wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:48 AM   #19
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Now that does sound a bit too much for a 2 litre. Do you have any dyno charts for it.

@Imran. What I meant was 220bhp sounds like quite a hike for a 2 litre for everyday driving. My 335d is reputed to be 350bhp and 700nm which is, as you say around the same specific output as your 2 litre conversion. I just assume that the 335 is a much tougher unit, and can easily take it. I am more than happy with mine, but realise that I may have to have it re flashed at warranty time. I don't mind a bit of ducking and diving on these occasions.

My sister however just wants to jump in and drive a quicker car with no issues at all. I know that's difficult. She wants the best of both worlds. Do you think a tuning box would be a better option for her. Is it something that she can simply unplug if 'needs be'?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I have always had mine mapped, and would never bother with a tuning box. I just don't want her moaning at me if things go wrong
That result was for an Audi 3.0TDi

The 320d unit is just as tough as any.

I think your sister should get a remap done. If she is really concerned then we can give her something a little more tame than usual. It will still make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #20
Yellow Snow
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think something around the 200bhp mark sounds more sensible for her. I just think she will be asking for trouble by putting 220bhp through a single turbo. Its only done 8.6k miles so its loosening up nicely, and we don't want any warranty issues.

She lives in Kenton. Just off the A1 near the A167 junction. Can you travel or does the car have to be brought to you?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Hi Smiffy,

We can make the file to be what ever power / torque you want. To do this we'd need to have the car on the dyno.

However, if we develop some maps before hand we'll know what each file is doing and it should be approximately the same accross all cars of the same model.

We can travel out but your a little far away. If you get 3-4 cars in for a remap at the same time it will not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
monkE90
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M SPORT (177)

I have provisionally booked in this Sat with Imran. Hoping they have the kit in the country by saturday.
I have had a spider tuning box and look forward to comparing results between remap and box,however I know in my heart of hearts that remap is the way forward.
Looks like an early start tho cos i,m 230 miles away!!
Still, It will keep me off the beer on Friday night....
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread