E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Pedal Tuner; anyone? what say you¿

11-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

BMS Pedal Tuner; anyone? what say you¿

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMS_PEDAL_TUNER

just noticed this product whilst searching for black Friday deals.

anyone used on a 335i or IS (preferably)? is it a gimmick or does it work¿ thanks!

11-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Why?

Too many other options available.

If your are curious, get the install instructions and look at the physical connections. You can learn the fact from fiction by looking at what signals it intercepts.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Why?

If your are curious, get the install instructions and look at the physical connections. You can learn the fact from fiction by looking at what signals it intercepts.
other options like what? the product says "The BMS Pedal Tuner Installs and removes in minutes and is fully independent from and compatible with other modifications including the JB4."

my biggest complaint of my 335is dct presently is that there is massive off the line lag. i still haven't read a fix for this, just a million and one recommendations that only seem to each make marginal if any differences. seems it is just a known issue of the 7sp DCT.

are you saying that there are other products that can possibly fix off the line lag, or maybe this product won't even address that issue, not entirely sure honestly...?
      11-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
Quote:
Why?

other options like what? the product says "The BMS Pedal Tuner Installs and removes in minutes and is fully independent from and compatible with other modifications including the JB4."

my biggest complaint of my 335is dct presently is that there is massive off the line lag. i still haven't read a fix for this, just a million and one recommendations that only seem to each make marginal if any differences. seems it is just a known issue of the 7sp DCT.

are you saying that there are other products that can possibly fix off the line lag, or maybe this product won't even address that issue, not entirely sure honestly...?
You might want to talk to bq about tuning your dct car...
      11-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Who is bq, and how do i get a hold of this glorious sounding entity? Is that their handle on here? Thanks,
      11-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Who is bq, and how do i get a hold of this glorious sounding entity? Is that their handle on here? Thanks,
Lol ********dotcom (had to write it out) he used to be a lot more active on here but I think he pissed off the mods at some point. he's a wizard at tuning dct's though.

Edit:: Oh look it got blocked! Beeequuuutuning hopefully you can figure out what I'm getting at with the address.
      11-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The pedal tuner is a lot of fun, gives you on the fly ability to change the gas pedal gain, like the newer F chassis vehicles have with comfort/sport/sport+ settings. For the low cost I can think of worse ways to spend the money. It's not for everyone though and won't make your car faster at full throttle.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The pedal tuner is a lot of fun, gives you on the fly ability to change the gas pedal gain, like the newer F chassis vehicles have with comfort/sport/sport+ settings. For the low cost I can think of worse ways to spend the money. It's not for everyone though and won't make your car faster at full throttle.

Mike
Mike, i get that it doesn't increase hp and i get why, but after reading through 100+ comments on youtube i didn't see anything about off the line acceleration. Will this improve off the line acceleration at all?

The biggest thing i miss about my old made in germany z4 os the immediate throttle response. No bull i would mash the gas at a green light and spin the tires into a very aggressive off the line sprint. My current 335is is nowhere close from the line. I mean from a roll it is more powerful, but from a dead stop it sits there thinking about moving for what feels like a second.

If this is just something to increase throttle once I'm already moving i don't feel it is necessary for me presently as my rolling power is pretty sufficient ATM. I just want more off the line responsiveness without having to use launch control to achieve it.
      11-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Mike, i get that it doesn't increase hp and i get why, but after reading through 100+ comments on youtube i didn't see anything about off the line acceleration. Will this improve off the line acceleration at all?

The biggest thing i miss about my old made in germany z4 os the immediate throttle response. No bull i would mash the gas at a green light and spin the tires into a very aggressive off the line sprint. My current 335is is nowhere close from the line. I mean from a roll it is more powerful, but from a dead stop it sits there thinking about moving for what feels like a second.

If this is just something to increase throttle once I'm already moving i don't feel it is necessary for me presently as my rolling power is pretty sufficient ATM. I just want more off the line responsiveness without having to use launch control to achieve it.
Try it, if you don't like it, you can always return it. I suspect you'll like the effect.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

If you mean Z4 3.0 is, you have made the exact same jump that I made, E85 to the E89 3.5IS.

I wrote my owe tunes for both the engine and gearbox on the E85 and yes without launch control the older car seems much quicker for the first 30 ft.

You need to remember they are both 3 liter engines but the E89 as 500 lbs more mass. That's hard to overcome especially without a manual clutch or torque converter to assist the the RPM build and torque multiplication. The TC can multiple torque by 2.5 : 1.

Until the turbo's spool up the N54 is inferior to the N52. After spooling, it's a different ball game. I've called my car Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Maintenance, plugs, coils and walnut blasting will keep the delay to a minimum.

I good engine tune will tweak the waste gate settings and you need to be careful using any add on hardware that is designed to develop peak power at the expense of quick spooling.

There is a chance that someone has cracked the TCU within the DCT and has modified the clutch pressure/RPM ramps to allow more clutch slip under higher torque demand/low RPM. I'm guessing this will certainly limit the life of the clutches. Their might have separate maps for Comfort, Sport and Sport+. Frankly I find Sport+ pretty aggressive.

Just in case you have not verified this, I would log your "take off" to be sure the traction or stability control is not actually killing your take off. I've seen tires doing this with the E90 and E85 without illuminating the Traction control light.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you mean Z4 3.0 is, you have made the exact same jump that I made, E85 to the E89 3.5IS.

I wrote my owe tunes for both the engine and gearbox on the E85 and yes without launch control the older car seems much quicker for the first 30 ft.

You need to remember they are both 3 liter engines but the E89 as 500 lbs more mass. That's hard to overcome especially without a manual clutch or torque converter to assist the the RPM build and torque multiplication. The TC can multiple torque by 2.5 : 1.

Until the turbo's spool up the N54 is inferior to the N52. After spooling, it's a different ball game. I've called my car Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Maintenance, plugs, coils and walnut blasting will keep the delay to a minimum.

I good engine tune will tweak the waste gate settings and you need to be careful using any add on hardware that is designed to develop peak power at the expense of quick spooling.

There is a chance that someone has cracked the TCU within the DCT and has modified the clutch pressure/RPM ramps to allow more clutch slip under higher torque demand/low RPM. I'm guessing this will certainly limit the life of the clutches. Their might have separate maps for Comfort, Sport and Sport+. Frankly I find Sport+ pretty aggressive.

Just in case you have not verified this, I would log your "take off" to be sure the traction or stability control is not actually killing your take off. I've seen tires doing this with the E90 and E85 without illuminating the Traction control light.
i had a 2003 z4 3.0i (e85) in japan and moved to HI and bought a 2011 335is (e93). i know i shouldn't compare many things between the two but i didn't think the 0 to moving or first 60' in this IS would be so bad. my car just hit 33k so i wasn't really that concerned with the plugs and coils + walnut, but it is almost 8 years old so in the next few months I will be getting the plugs/coils/walnut blasting done. i still think it is something with the DCT and clutch that is causing it though, as it runs real clean, smooth, and powerful once i literally hit like 10mph.

it just seems like it doesn't want to let the clutch out very fast. i'm sure there are a lot of reasons for this, and i'm not sure it would be wise to have it dump the clutch on every take off either, but i sure miss that off the line reaction speed i had with my last z4. even my last two sedans in japan had really good off the line reaction speed; an 18 crown athlete (v6), and then an 18 3uzfe crown majesta (v8), and both of these cars had huge heavy ass vip wheels on em .
      11-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Well i npw have the latest 135is TCU flash on my 335is so now i can do launch control from 3500 rpm instead of 5000. ��������
      11-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Well i npw have the latest 135is TCU flash on my 335is so now i can do launch control from 3500 rpm instead of 5000. ��������
Are you running the M flash?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you running the M flash?
I put on zb8606072 which i believe is the latest 135is flash. if not the M, does the M have a 3500 launch control rpm setting? what are the pro's to the M over the latest 135 tcu flash zb8606072? thanks,
      11-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I was referring to this project

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467719

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qDN5ZgKqVUw
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M3 Drivelogic and M Drive on a non Mver2 (1).pdf (569.5 KB, 172 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
I put on zb8606072 which i believe is the latest 135is flash. if not the M, does the M have a 3500 launch control rpm setting? what are the pro's to the M over the latest 135 tcu flash zb8606072? thanks,
Running the M3(GTS) flash requires at a minimum, the M3 GWS, center console trim with center console and Drivelogic switches, and a FD within +/- 10% of the M3 FD of 3.15. Throw in some repinning of connectors and flashing and coding too, but it is a great upgrade for those willing to take the plunge.