E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Missfires, No Power, Stuttering, 29E0, 29E1, 29CD, 2AAF [EDIT WITH LOGS]

11-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
Evac
Rep
Drives: 335xi n54 pos

Missfires, No Power, Stuttering, 29E0, 29E1, 29CD, 2AAF [EDIT WITH LOGS]

I need help indentifying an issue i'm currently having with my car. In the last few months I've been having some symptoms and codes that I can't quite pinpoint to one certain part.

So at first a few months back I was getting long cranks and rough idles, driving was otherwise fine. Long cranks have faded away, but now my car will randomly not make boost. After getting on the gas for a while and everything is seemingly fine, all the sudden it's like it's in limp mode. The RPM's will shoot up but it just feels like it makes no power. Then all the sudden its back and i'm making boost. Once my rpms flatline after a cold start it runs really rough for a minute then evens out. The motor always feels like it's vibrating when I get on it a little at like 1-3k rpm mainly noticeable around 15-30mph. There's a bit of hesitation in the throttle.

Over the last month I've had these codes:
29E0 29E1 2AAF 29CD

29E0: From my understanding is a fuel mixture control code.
29E1: Is this a bank 2 lean code?
29CD: It says cylinder 1 misfire I believe. (My reader is in german)
2AAF: Fuel Pump Plausibility?

Also got 2EFE which I think was the blower motor, but I just had the recall done and I can tell it's actually working now.

I did the plugs probably about 12k miles ago, coils about 8k.
The valve cover gasket does leak and when I changed my coils and plugs the last time the cylinder 1 plug and coil was by far the most soiled. I believe it's leaking the most in that area and possibly pooling around the plug tubes.
The HPFP was done at 40k miles on my car. I'm currently at 108k. I switched gas from a CITGO 93 to Shell v-power 93. I'm not tuned, stock all around. Should I try 91? I've never had this issue and always ran 93.

I really need help with this guys, any info is appreciated.
I'm not really sure how to check my logs for fuel pressure, sensor voltage, or any of that. If there's a DIY somewhere shoot me to it.

EDIT: JUST LOGGED TODAY 1/2/19
https://datazap.me/u/evacuate/1219-c...og=0&data=3-22
NEED FEEDBACK

Last edited by Evac; 01-02-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
iblue
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i 6MT

Have you ever swapped out the vanos solenoids? When those go out the car will run like absolute garbage, throw misfire codes, etc.
      11-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Evac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iblue View Post
Have you ever swapped out the vanos solenoids? When those go out the car will run like absolute garbage, throw misfire codes, etc.
I cleaned them the same time I changed the spark plugs, I guess I could check again.

Recent symptoms I'm also having are:

2DC3: Control clamp 15? No idea what this is
2E8D: for the battery IBS
I had 2DED a month or so ago, which is a power management code.

I also have random codes I believe to be unrelated.
MRS: OC3 for the passenger seat mat occupancy sensor which is bad.
FRM: Doesn't show codes for these just explanations in german but I have the adpative headlight warning on the dash and it's been that way since I've owned it in June 2017, the adaptive lights function fine however.
KOMBI: KL30g_f not sure what that is
MOSTGW: No code but two errors one says something about device monitoring and the other is something about error registry.

This car has seriously been a headache for me. I'm sure some of you can relate.

I checked my battery voltage after I drove it for a while and I had 12v with the car off and 15v while it was on positive to negative.

Maybe my issue is battery related? Since I had the blower motor wiring recall done i've noticed that the air from the vents isn't blowing as hard as it did before. The 'max' and 'rest' buttons no longer function as well.. The speed of the air is pretty intermittent it will be sort of soft then finally kick on full blast randomly. I didn't have this issue before the recall was serviced. The AC also doesn't get cold for a while, heat taking longer than usual. I turned the temp all the way down on max speed and the fan didn't kick on for a few minutes, same with heat. Not sure what's going on. I frequently get the low battery voltage indicator on the dash if I fill up with gas and leave the key in with the radio and nav screen on, lights for even a minute will drain it pretty good. It's never died on me however because I make sure everything is off. My car will randomly also reset the trip odometer if it sits overnight but this happens like a few times a month.

Could low battery voltage be a culprit for misfires and the fuel mixture code if the spark plugs aren't generating enough spark to burn the fuel being injected? I've read that the ecu can detect a weak battery and limit certain functions like my heat/ac air flow.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
iblue
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i 6MT

I was having random misfires and vanos codes, then I did plugs and cleaned the solenoids and the car ran like absolute garbage with misfires on nearly every cylinder. Swapped them out for brand new ones and it ran like a top. Hope you get it sorted.
      01-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Evac
Rep

I'm bumping this thread with my first ever log. Still experiencing all the same issues. Just got MHD monitor and was hoping someone could help me identify if theres a problem or break down the numbers for me. https://datazap.me/u/evacuate/1219-c...og=0&data=3-22
I logged LTFT, STFT Lamdas etc. Car was already warmed up fully before going WOT. Let me know what you guys think.
Appreciate 0