THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum After Warranty Plans

11-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

After Warranty Plans

Hello all!
Whats the thought about after warranty service plans? I am being quoted around 3.5K for 4 years. But that does include the brakes and the clutch. I am being told that the rotors will need to be replaced with the pads...is that true? Why? If thats the case, then 3.5 K wouldnt be a bad number.... thought? Comments?
Thanks as always!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
goover
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i Mineral Gray Met

I would like some thoughts on this as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I went with a 3rd party warranty for my car. It's a 2014 with 22k on it. I purchased a 4 year warranty that covers the car up to 100k miles.

Because it's not a BMW warranty, I am hoping it would be a little more lenient with mods, as I can take the car to other shops versus just the dealer.

I'm hoping I never have to use it.

Unlike the BMW warranty, it does not cover consumables, but in the grand scheme of things that is relative cheap.
      11-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post
I went with a 3rd party warranty for my car. It's a 2014 with 22k on it. I purchased a 4 year warranty that covers the car up to 100k miles.

Because it's not a BMW warranty, I am hoping it would be a little more lenient with mods, as I can take the car to other shops versus just the dealer.

I'm hoping I never have to use it.

Unlike the BMW warranty, it does not cover consumables, but in the grand scheme of things that is relative cheap.
Is this warranty equivalent to a BMW bumper-to-bumper? Meaning, let's say you have a squeaky seat, a clunking sound coming from your suspension, or NAV screen blacking out and rebooting randomly (which all have happened to me), will this all be covered?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidu View Post
Hello all!
Whats the thought about after warranty service plans? I am being quoted around 3.5K for 4 years. But that does include the brakes and the clutch. I am being told that the rotors will need to be replaced with the pads...is that true? Why? If thats the case, then 3.5 K wouldnt be a bad number.... thought? Comments?
Thanks as always!
Can you transcribe or post a picture of the Warranty description mentioning the brake and clutch replacement being covered ?

Deductibles mentioned or per-visit payments ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I don't see a warranty covering tear and items. I have little faith in 3rd warranties as they tend to not cover anything and will fight you on it and often want you to use non-OEM parts. BMW shops won't do that.

Save your money and put that $3,000 in an account for maintenance and repairs. Done.
      11-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
jooksingjai77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Save your money and put that $3,000 in an account for maintenance and repairs. Done.
THIS. I asked a friend who works at audi corporate and a fund manager friend and they both said the same thing. Save the money in an account. If the money isn't used go on a nice vacation or just save it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I think it really depends on the options in your car.

If it weren't for Nav, etc, I would have just gone for the gold warranty. But while most likely in the next few years, you are not going to break anything bad, the possibility is there.

I am glad I got the platinum warranty, and I am not even kidding, a month after I got it, my nav started acting up again. So if you have Navigation, I would recommend going with the platinum.

If you don't, just go save your money, but keep in mind you can also negotiate the rates for the warranty. Give Steve Thomas BMW a call, Francesca Ortiz helped me out, they gave me a pretty damn good price. Good enough that when I went to a local dealer to get a key readout the guy tried to sell me the warranty there, and when I told him what they were offering he was trying to convince me they weren't selling me the platinum warranty. (They did)
      11-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #9
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Is this warranty equivalent to a BMW bumper-to-bumper? Meaning, let's say you have a squeaky seat, a clunking sound coming from your suspension, or NAV screen blacking out and rebooting randomly (which all have happened to me), will this all be covered?
Yes, it mimics the OEM warranty.

It was sold to me by my friend who is the general manager of a BMW dealership. It's what they sell to customers who can no longer get a factory extended warranty.

Seeing how it's my friend, who has been with the dealership more than 10years, I don't foresee any issues with coverage.