BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Waze & carplay & wireless charger &&&...

11-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
BeastM5C
Rep
Drives: Euro_DG_M5C

Waze & carplay & wireless charger &&&...

First post and proud to be a full fledged member, as I anxiously wait for my DG M5C...Praying for a before xmas delivery
Have a multiple tech question on the wireless charger / waze / carplay functioning for an enlightened mind...
I am a Huge Waze fan and plan on sticking to that. I currently have a very practical iphone xs holder which grabs on nicely on my air vent which only requires me to have a simple skinny 3M magnet inside my cover.
So the questions are:
1- any big waze fans out there using it through carplay and having a good experience? Does it connect well, does it take a reasonable time to enter an adress/favorites etc, can you just throw the phone inside the wireless charger as soon as you walk into the spaceship or does it take time to connect idrive/waze and do you touch it frequently to get around to places? Not the most patient dude here.
2- the reason I Am asking is also because if the answer to the previous question is NO I will probably have to leave my phone in the vent holder again to use waze meaning I will also have to have a usb cable to charge it (waze=battery killer) and then the wireless charger becomes useless. Also, If I leave the magnet inside the iphone cover to be able to use the above mentioned iphone holder I will never be able to use the wireless charger because magnets and wireless chargers dont fall in love?
3- does someone have a magnet inside the cover and in that case are you able to still use the wireless charger?
4- can you charge the display key and iphone at same time?

#ARRGGHfirstworldproblems
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastM5C View Post
First post and proud to be a full fledged member, as I anxiously wait for my DG M5C...Praying for a before xmas delivery
Have a multiple tech question on the wireless charger / waze / carplay functioning for an enlightened mind...
I am a Huge Waze fan and plan on sticking to that. I currently have a very practical iphone xs holder which grabs on nicely on my air vent which only requires me to have a simple skinny 3M magnet inside my cover.
So the questions are:
1- any big waze fans out there using it through carplay and having a good experience? Does it connect well, does it take a reasonable time to enter an adress/favorites etc, can you just throw the phone inside the wireless charger as soon as you walk into the spaceship or does it take time to connect idrive/waze and do you touch it frequently to get around to places? Not the most patient dude here.
2- the reason I Am asking is also because if the answer to the previous question is NO I will probably have to leave my phone in the vent holder again to use waze meaning I will also have to have a usb cable to charge it (waze=battery killer) and then the wireless charger becomes useless. Also, If I leave the magnet inside the iphone cover to be able to use the above mentioned iphone holder I will never be able to use the wireless charger because magnets and wireless chargers dont fall in love?
3- does someone have a magnet inside the cover and in that case are you able to still use the wireless charger?
4- can you charge the display key and iphone at same time?

#ARRGGHfirstworldproblems
Thank you
I’ll answer question #1, which negates question #2. The Waze integration through CarPlay works great. I’ve used it multiple times in the last few weeks and can say I’m very pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
BeastM5C
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I’ll answer question #1, which negates question #2. The Waze integration through CarPlay works great. I’ve used it multiple times in the last few weeks and can say I’m very pleased with it.
Thank you. Do you open and acess waze through carplay or do you have to open waze on the iphone first etc? Is it a quick process? Wondering if I can just throw my iphone inside the charger compartment without having to use it at all...
      11-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

I'd say the waze integration is about the only reason to use carplay as it functions well. I actually turned off carplay as I like how idrive functions better for most of my use, but I don't use waze a lot.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastM5C View Post
Thank you. Do you open and acess waze through carplay or do you have to open waze on the iphone first etc? Is it a quick process? Wondering if I can just throw my iphone inside the charger compartment without having to use it at all...
All through carplay. You can just keep your phone in your pocket and it works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
rsalt333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90, 2024 X5 xDrive50e

Agree. Waze integration is smooth. Can search previous locations easily. As you know , no HUD.

With apple CarPlay. Text message play and respond is easy and effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
BeastM5C
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalt333 View Post

With apple CarPlay. Text message play and respond is easy and effective.
Thanks but...not really in my language
      11-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
afk8445
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Blk sp Metallic

I use Waze on CarPlay daily. I just drop the phone into the wireless charger, and its out of sight, CarPlay takes over immediately and waze is available within seconds i would say.
i usually enter address with voice to Waze, one touch and talk to Waze.
you can also report police/incidents from the iDrive screen very easily.

Not sure about the magnet and wireless charger, did not try.

Also, we don't get the display key here with the M5 so, can't answer this one as well, although i would say probably you can't charge both same time.
good luck with your delivery, post pics please.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk8445 View Post
I use Waze on CarPlay daily. I just drop the phone into the wireless charger, and its out of sight, CarPlay takes over immediately and waze is available within seconds i would say.

Also, we don't get the display key here with the M5 so, can't answer this one as well, although i would say probably you can't charge both same time.
I see your from Houston! I've seen a black w/ black wheels around my area a few times, wondering if it was a forum member... Do you go around the River Oaks/Greenway area much?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Lots of Houston guys here! I saw a twin of my car going down Bellaire Blvd in Bellaire just this weekend.
      11-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
dnippard
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by afk8445 View Post

Had exactly the same issue. Magnet messes with wireless charging (phone gets very hot and is flat after long trip). Without case and magnet, phone charges nicely but Waze also sucks a lot of juice. I plug mine in on a magnet to the vent and use Waze off of carplay. Only bad thing is calls override carplay and switch Waze off. And you can't touch the phone (check messages etc) without losing Waze from carplay.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
STi2M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG/SO M3 (on order)

Use waze everyday. Never take the phone out of my pocket. It's great. My only complaint is that I haven't found a way to see the list of turn by turn directions on CarPlay that you get if you touch the top banner on your iPhone screen.
      11-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #13
BeastM5C
Rep

Thanks everyone. I am getting the feeling that I wont be using waze integration or the wireless charger a lot (( if you cant take calls while using waze..that sucks big time
      11-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #14
afk8445
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
I see your from Houston! I've seen a black w/ black wheels around my area a few times, wondering if it was a forum member... Do you go around the River Oaks/Greenway area much?
West Houston mostly, Katy area...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
afk8445
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnippard View Post
Had exactly the same issue. Magnet messes with wireless charging (phone gets very hot and is flat after long trip). Without case and magnet, phone charges nicely but Waze also sucks a lot of juice. I plug mine in on a magnet to the vent and use Waze off of carplay. Only bad thing is calls override carplay and switch Waze off. And you can't touch the phone (check messages etc) without losing Waze from carplay.
Try utilizing Siri more, it helps move easier between apps
Appreciate 0