E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I am removing both turbos, what to check?

11-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

I am removing both turbos, what to check?

I have to remove my turbos to remove the head for a piston job. What should I check or adjust on them to make sure they are up to par?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
I have to remove my turbos to remove the head for a piston job. What should I check or adjust on them to make sure they are up to par?
Check for end float, that one looks like it isn't passing oil or your tubine wheel would be carbon'd up. as for adjustment there is nothing that is user adjustable without fucking it up, they have to be set up on flow rig.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Quote:
Check for end float, that one looks like it isn't passing oil or your tubine wheel would be carbon'd up. as for adjustment there is nothing that is user adjustable without fucking it up, they have to be set up on flow rig.
Yeah, I get that. One cylinder was misfiring so I will have extra carbon on one. I mean things like waste gate adjustments, etc. I know I can't mess with the cartridge with my caveman hands and do anything helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. One cylinder was misfiring so I will have extra carbon on one. I mean things like waste gate adjustments, etc. I know I can't mess with the cartridge with my caveman hands and do anything helpful.
No, if you mess with them you will get fault codes coming up relating to out of spec boost pressure's. you want more boost you have to re-map it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Quote:
No, if you mess with them you will get fault codes coming up relating to out of spec boost pressure's. you want more boost you have to re-map it.
Not thinking more boost, just checking for whatever the waste gate rattle problem is I have heard a lot about and fixing it if my actuator is too loose or whatever.
Appreciate 0