F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > RTA advice
Extreme Powerhouse

10-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

RTA advice

Advice please wise members...
Other half’s car sideswiped on a roundabout today, 2 lane approach, 2 lanes on roundabout, both cars approaching, one in each lane.
car in left lane without indication continues past 2 exits and hits ns wing of our car which approached in right hand lane (signed and marked ok) with intention of coming off on 2nd exit (straight on).

Guy pulls over, very senile or confused (80yrs old according to his licence) taking wife to hospital, doesn’t admit fault but not really coherent and just wants to get to hospital.

Other half takes details, no witnesses unfortunately and lets him go. Damage to our car means that despite attempting to continue journey, is worse than expected and needs recovery to a friends garages. Expecting report tomorrow morning.

Contact made with other party this evening to ask: have you informed your insurer or police... answer no.
Do you wish to settle or go through insurance? Answer wait for damage report.
Again old guy not really with it and doesn’t seem to understand what’s happened.

To put into context, the car is a banger worth no more than £600 but our excess is £250 (plus another £200 if going to a non approved garage which we have).
We are fully comp but only because it’s a multi car policy.
Problem is, other half needs car for work and we don’t have a courtessey car on the policy so means taxi tomorrow or missing a day.

Therefore the claim if it went through would be loss of earnings or hire car plus the recovery cost and repair costs which may be uneconomical.
Also in my mind is the likelihood that the insurers will most likely go 50/50 as that’s the easy option which will mean declaring a non fault accident and paying increased premiums for the next 5yrs.

Sorry for the long winded post but any thoughts please?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

If your car is worth £600 with £250 excess id probably be inclined not to make a claim and just buy your wife a new car. Worth nothing from a scrap yard in current shape?

If the other party wants to put it through insurance then you will have to go down that route too.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

No way worth it. You'd lose minimum 250 with insurance plus price hikes in future and phone calls for 3 years about your none fault claim.

Trade it somewhere that is doing a scrapped car deal for a new one etc. or patch it up and flog it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks both, thinking of still trying to pursue the other party for costs without insurance involvement but obviously depends if he suddenly has a change of heart and involves his own insurers in which case im assuming we’re in the crap for not notifying ours?

If he gets funny and refuses to pay up I guess we have to put it down to experience but friggin annoying all the same. Wondering if regardless of outcome we need anything in writing to cover ourselves?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
This^^^^

Tell the old guy you'll settle for £500.
Yep , plus one on this , been there myself years ago , best option in the long run
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

I recently had this with someone I know. In fact it was a hit and run so the other party was unknown.

2 cars damaged and both written off. The interesting thing to note was, while their car was worth only £500, since the police was involved as well as the other car, the claim was already noted by the insurers possibly through the police or the neighbour (other car). When they called the next day to notify insurance of the accident, they knew about it already and were told that regardless of claim or not, you will need to declare the accident for 3-5 years as this will go on the database. They ended up claiming.

Insurance is a scam. They may have been told lies by the insurer but that is how it was. Settlement was quick and they had money for the car in their account in 3 days minus the excess.

Moral: You could choose not to involve the insurance but if the other party has notified them already, you'll be worse off than if you had claimed. I'll repeat - insurance is a scam.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:17 AM   #7
Jimbob335DX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
I'll repeat - insurance is a scam.
You can say that again!
      10-31-2018, 04:49 AM   #8
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Wife had similar to OP on a roundabout, 2 lanes she in left, car in right decided not to look and pull to left lane on exiting the r/about, just about drove over her front wing.

Went via insurance and despite all the evidence, position of damage on both cars (wife front o/side other n/side rear door) etc as there were no witnesses it was 50/50 claim. £3,500 damage repair to wifes even though it was still driveable.

So I guess if your car is only worth £600 to repair the damage would cost far more & they would likely write it off. so best get other party to cough up & patch it up for now if you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:04 AM   #9
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I'm assuming you didnt have a dashcam or take any photos at the scene to indicate who was at fault?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #10
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Andy View Post
Thanks both, thinking of still trying to pursue the other party for costs without insurance involvement but obviously depends if he suddenly has a change of heart and involves his own insurers in which case im assuming we’re in the crap for not notifying ours?

If he gets funny and refuses to pay up I guess we have to put it down to experience but friggin annoying all the same. Wondering if regardless of outcome we need anything in writing to cover ourselves?
I'd forget costs but as others have said, get £500 to take care of the old car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all.
Pics taken at the time but without a dash cam, I think insurers will usually take the easiest option and go 50/50. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they did the same with dash cam footage as they’re generally a bunch of crooks.

Repair estimate from our friends garage came in approx £600 as the driveshaft was bent, broken wishbone, recovery to garage, wheel alignment and labour.

My main concern was if the other party started playing silly buggers but I’m pleased to say he’s coughed up.

I know I should be grateful but there’s a moral dilemma here playing on my mind as well...
Given recent events with the older caravan couple and a couple of days later a similar incident locally where another car went the wrong way down the A47, my thoughts turn to questioning whether this driver should still be on the road. If the worst happened today, tomorrow or in a months time we would have to live with that.
Or are we being stupid?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I think you are generalising a bit too much about the elderly driver. There are many many young and middle aged drivers who have accidents every day often due to their lack of attention or stupidity.

We all need to have eyes in every direction when driving and especially in the runabout scenario you describe and the position your car was in on the road.
Appreciate 0