BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
TallGuyX5
2015 X5 M Sport MPPK & Coding
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 sDrive 35i M Sport

Deal breakers

Definitely planning to order a new G05. I'm reading things like you can't turn of the auto stop/start function. Hopefully we will be able to code it to default to off, but don't think we know that yet.

Any other features about the G05 that are not good and potential deal breakers for anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

There seems to be a button next to the start stop button to disable the auto start stop. This means you can at least turn it off per trip. Without coding this is how it is on the F15.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
maze446
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyX5 View Post
I'm reading things like you can't turn of the auto stop/start function.
For those that haven't checked out the other threads -- you can turn off the auto start / stop a number of ways. However, it appears that this needs to be done each time the car is started. I hear that this is codeable so shouldn't be a huge deal. Plus I always drive in sport mode which is one of the ways to turn auto start / stop off so it's not going to matter for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze446 View Post
For those that haven't checked out the other threads -- you can turn off the auto start / stop a number of ways. However, it appears that this needs to be done each time the car is started. I hear that this is codeable so shouldn't be a huge deal. Plus I always drive in sport mode which is one of the ways to turn auto start / stop off so it's not going to matter for me personally.
I can confirm that you can disable it per trip, but it doesn't remember the last setting like the F15 does. I always have it off on my F15, so it remembers to stay off. But, yes, apparently it is able to be coded to remember the last setting. It's also the case that it is off by default in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
spyderdoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d. 2016 Porsche GT4

No diesel option for USA. If they decide to release the G05 in diesel in the USA, I will certainly bite. For now, I will continue to enjoy my F15d and drive it until the wheels fall off of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post
No diesel option for USA. If they decide to release the G05 in diesel in the USA, I will certainly bite. For now, I will continue to enjoy my F15d and drive it until the wheels fall off of it.
Same here but I am going to wait till next late spring/early summer at the latest and if there is no diesel for the G05, I will turn in my F15 X5d and get the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:06 AM   #7
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

Does anyone know why there are no M badges on the side fenders with M-sport package. This is in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizfiend View Post
Does anyone know why there are no M badges on the side fenders with M-sport package. This is in Canada.
Pure speculation on my part. . . the marketers at BMW are trying to define tiers of sport/performance within their brand using M as a signifier. M Performance, M Sport, M, M Comp Series, and so on.

If this is right, at least in US and Canada, then I would see them reducing use on less sporty cars and trucks like the x5 40i and 50i.

I would expect the badge to be used on x5 m50i, when it appears in a year or so. Will they slap a side badge on or just on rear? Who knows. I would think so, but I heard they weren't using side badge on the x3 m40i, which they would do with the above logic.

Another factor that could be playing out in their marketers' brains is the desire to create more exclusivity with the M mark. Since they are extending up and down the sport product range, perhaps they want to down play it or use it more conservatively on the less sporty cars to avoid diluting its 'sport' brand value and credibility.

Why would they do any of this in US and Canada but not other markets? I would only attribute that to decentralized marketing orgs.

I could be 100% wrong on the above, just speculation.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyX5 View Post
Definitely planning to order a new G05. I'm reading things like you can't turn of the auto stop/start function. Hopefully we will be able to code it to default to off, but don't think we know that yet.

Any other features about the G05 that are not good and potential deal breakers for anyone?
What HP gain do you get out of the MPPK? How much was it (incl. install?)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I've ordered one but a couple head scratchers (if not deal breakers):
  1. The redistribution of the sunroof to make the back larger than the part near the driver seat (see 8:22 here). Why in the world they would make it bigger in the back is beyond me. It's a SAV, not a 7-series limo. It is now more oriented to the back passengers than to the driver, which is completely opposite of BMW's driver oriented designs. On top of bringing less light into the front of the car through the sunroof, they've now made the interior headliner all black as well. It really cuts down on the light coming into the car during the day.
  2. I don't understand why they replaced some useful dial switches with many more not-so-useful buttons. For example, they replaced the one light 4 or 5-way switch with what looks like 5 different buttons. Why replace the very convenient dial for temperature control with a rocker switch? It's not a deal breaker, but it is a UI head scratcher.
  3. What in the world possessed them to put the 12-volt socket right between the cup holders? Seems like a great way to go through fuses or worse.
  4. My lord, the pattern on the merino seats is beyond bad. Someone pointed out on the forums that it looks like it's straight off a mattress. He's right.
  5. You mentioned the stop/start default, which is another head scratcher.

I'm sure I'll find others, but all in all it looks to be a pretty nice new X5, and I'm excited to get mine in a couple months.
Appreciate 1
TallGuyX5138.00
      10-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBx540i View Post
Pure speculation on my part. . . the marketers at BMW are trying to define tiers of sport/performance within their brand using M as a signifier. M Performance, M Sport, M, M Comp Series, and so on.

If this is right, at least in US and Canada, then I would see them reducing use on less sporty cars and trucks like the x5 40i and 50i.
just speculation.
I understand if the m badge is not on the fender because this is not the m40i. Only the rims have the m badge and no m badge on the back either which is normal. Because the engine hasn't been tuned by m sport. But why does the European models have it on the fender.

And remember, this is the oldest model in this whole generation of G05. There will probably be an X5 M40i in a couple years. Or M-sport package I and M-sport package II with increased horse power.

You can never keep up with technology.
And there's no point in always waiting for the next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
daveinct
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

1) I agree with Tlon - the reversal of the sunroof layout is baffling and certainly a step backwards. I have a 2016 F85 X5 M and one of the features I have always loved the most is how far the sunroof opens. I just wish it would auto-open all the way with one button press. Hard to comprehend that they took this away.

2) Leather quality in the rear seats is not on par with what I expect from a premium brand such as BMW. I saw many pictures on line, followed by seeing it first hand in a show room. This one is a deal breaker for me, and I hope that BMW fixes the problem. It especially stands out like a sore thumb when you are in the show room comparing all of the various vehicles.

3) I am a big fan of the concept of digital cockpit, but I am not impressed by BMW's execution in this vehicle. The oddly shaped gauges and backwards RPM display do not sit well with me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

Quote:
I understand if the m badge is not on the fender because this is not the m40i. Only the rims have the m badge and no m badge on the back either which is normal. Because the engine hasn't been tuned by m sport. But why does the European models have it on the fender.

And remember, this is the oldest model in this whole generation of G05. There will probably be an X5 M40i in a couple years. Or M-sport package I and M-sport package II with increased horse power.

You can never keep up with technology.
And there's no point in always waiting for the next best thing.
I have no idea why they keep the M side badge for Europe. I wish I knew, though I'm sure it's intentional, and BMW marketers were convincing to management that it makes sense in that market- - - though not in US and Can.

I would love to see more performance in years to come, and sure that it will occur. I just hope they offer up some of the performance goodies to 40i buyers like me. MPPK please.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Is no M40i option yet a deal breaker and just hold off until the M-sport package has increased engine performance.

But full m sport body kit + m exhaust + glass shifter + air suspension + carbon black + 22" 742M rims is just so tempting...

$1300 CAD / month
60 months
$25k balloon

What would you say to this deal.

Last edited by bizfiend; 10-31-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Is no M40i option yet a deal breaker and just hold off until the M-sport package has increased engine performance.
It's very simple. Going forward M performance for 1-2 series will be 4cyl and for 3-4 will be 6cyl and for 5-6 will be 8cyl and for 7 it seems to be 12cyl. 8 on the other hand is 8cyl so that's a bit weird but I guess uts really a 6 series that just got renamed by marketing?
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I’ve commented on the start-stop before. Blame the EPA for some of it since they actually think it creates better gas mileage. Actually it might now that the damn thing can’t be defeated with remembering to do something every start. Porsche and Audi have it also.

The seats/leather are a mystery when there are so many superb seats out there in competing vehicles.

Someone is already keeping an LCI list...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #17
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

When will there be carbon fiber or black front grille and m-style carbon fiber side mirrors!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #18
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:

"full m sport body kit + m exhaust + glass shifter + air suspension + carbon black + 22" 742M rims is just so tempting... "

That is exactly how I ordered mine, except black sapphire instead of carbon black.... don't like the fact that CB looks blue in direct sunlight!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
But full m sport body kit + m exhaust + glass shifter + air suspension + carbon black + 22" 742M rims is just so tempting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaria22 View Post
That is exactly how I ordered mine, except black sapphire instead of carbon black.... don't like the fact that CB looks blue in direct sunlight!
M exhaust? Is that included in the M Sport package? Or is it something completely separate?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #20
BigCactus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp F95

It's not included ( in M50d standard in Europe)- you have to add it additionally.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:58 AM   #21
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
M exhaust? Is that included in the M Sport package? Or is it something completely separate?
Probably something you can't get on your 40i since it is US spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #22
TallGuyX5
2015 X5 M Sport MPPK & Coding
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 sDrive 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
  1. The redistribution of the sunroof to make the back larger than the part near the driver seat (see 8:22 here). Why in the world they would make it bigger in the back is beyond me. It's a SAV, not a 7-series limo. It is now more oriented to the back passengers than to the driver, which is completely opposite of BMW's driver oriented designs. On top of bringing less light into the front of the car through the sunroof, they've now made the interior headliner all black as well. It really cuts down on the light coming into the car during the day.
  2. I don't understand why they replaced some useful dial switches with many more not-so-useful buttons. For example, they replaced the one light 4 or 5-way switch with what looks like 5 different buttons. Why replace the very convenient dial for temperature control with a rocker switch? It's not a deal breaker, but it is a UI head scratcher.
  3. What in the world possessed them to put the 12-volt socket right between the cup holders? Seems like a great way to go through fuses or worse.
  4. My lord, the pattern on the merino seats is beyond bad. Someone pointed out on the forums that it looks like it's straight off a mattress. He's right.

I'm sure I'll find others, but all in all it looks to be a pretty nice new X5, and I'm excited to get mine in a couple months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post

Thanks for your post. Please provide more of our observations about the differences between G05 and F15. Nothing sounds like real deal breakers but still not sure if I want to jump to the G05 just yet.
Appreciate 0