BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Front left temperature higher than all others?

10-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Front left temperature higher than all others?

I have noticed the front left (passenger side on RHD or drivers side on LHD) car is the same temperature when the tyres are cold, but after a run is anywhere from 3-5 degrees C (5-9 degrees F) higher than the other three tyres.

When I had the car in for its running-in service, I mentioned it and it was initially suggested it was because we drive on the left, so the camber of the road was causing it. The dealer said the sensor was at fault and was stuck at 20 degrees C, so I booked the car in again for this Friday to have it replaced as I've been away.

Since then though, I've noticed the paperwork and video said the front right sensor (opposite side) is the faulty one, but I've noticed it reading anywhere between 5 and 37 degrees C in the couple of weeks since the service, so it's not stuck, or apparently faulty.

I also spent some time over the last couple of weeks driving in Europe on the right hand side, so the road camber is opposite to that in the UK, but still the front left is showing hotter than the other 3 tyres confirming my suspicion that it was not road camber related.

I've found information on the F8x models that the front left tyre runs hotter due to the oil cooler being at that side and was wondering if other people have seen the same on the F90 as I really don't want them replacing something that isn't actually faulty and causing other issues - or damaging my rims!

Last edited by PaulT_M5; 10-24-2018 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Yup! It’s the oil cooler! Same on mine.. you can actually feel the temperature difference if you put your hand in whe wheel wells after a drive
Appreciate 1
PaulT_M5287.50
      10-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Thanks for the confirmation, the first job for me this morning is to cancel Fridays appointment.
Appreciate 0