BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Akrapovic Review F90 M5 😢

10-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Arjgt3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Akrapovic Review F90 M5 😢

Let me start this of by saying that I love modding the exhaust on every single car I’ve owned. It’s a thing of joy for me...until now.

Bought the Akrapovic Evolution System for the F90 and surprisingly didn’t have to wait a Long time for the first set to be delivered in Asia. I bought it with the Akrapovic Carbon diffuser as well to complete the look.

For the first time ever, really, I am forced to admit that I’ve bought an exhaust for the public who see and hear my car from the outside and not me.

Let me explain, the F90 is incredibly well insulated. From outside the car, the exhaust sounds absolutely heavenly even with the valve closed. With it open, it sounds like The God of Thunder has taken up residence in the rear end of your M5. And it is glorious!

BUT, and it’s a fairly big BUT, from the inside, where you and I take up residence, it’s pretty much the same old situation....it barely sounds any different to the 1MA M Sports exhaust option that all of us could have spec’d on our cars from new. And to me, that’s very disappointing on what is a very expensive exhaust system.

Just to put it into context, I had an F10 M5 as well to which I fit the Akrapovic Evo system and the result was for more pronounced for some reason. I could actually hear the difference. On this F90 System, with the valves open, there’s not much of an improvement in aural quality within the cabin. You can hear the tiny micro explosions when you lift off the throttle mid gear with the valves open a little better, but so far, that’s it.

As for the supposed increase in horsepower and torque, well you were never really going to be able to feel the difference on a car that comes with 600 of those ponies stock.....I certainly haven’t felt anything significantly different worth reporting so far.

For the sake of fairness, I will admit I’ve only driven 500km with the Akrapovic on the car so I am willing to accept the fact that it needs some miles on it to open up. My Guess is however, that it’s not going to make a whole lot of difference.

I’m slightly disappointed with the end result but then again, I knew how well insulated the cabin was going into this. So the only way to really enjoy this very expensive exhaust is to drive with the aircon off and windows down, which given Singapore’s ambient hot and humid climate, isn’t ideal at all.

What I will say, positivity, is that the exhaust is a work of art, the Titanium finishing is really next level stuff & the rear diffuser is utterly gorgeous as it’s sits very differently on the rear bumper than the stock piece. This bit of it is worth the $$$$

In conclusion, I would say that if you intend to mod your car power wise down the line, do it. Can’t really go wrong.

However, if you’re buying the Akrapovic for an improvement in sound quality, only your neighbours will really appreciate it...or maybe not if they’re the conservative sort. I would stick with the M Sports 1MA exhaust option as it’s much cheaper with almost the exact same result, or go for a cheaper exhaust system from another company.

This is not really the fault of Akrapovic as it’s just down to the fact that the cabin is so well insulated. Oh well, I’ve bought it now, so I’m going to keep it. For those of you hovering on the fence, give it a good think through as it’s alot of money 💵 to spend for relatively little gain.

Once again, this is purely my own experience and there may well be others who have had a very positive experience with this system. I’m going to drive more to run mine in and hope that the situation, aurally, improves. Cheers 🥂
Attached Images

‘10 R35 GTR
‘01 R34 Skyline GTR V-Spec 2
Appreciate 5
soooma1373.00
Mcc420473.50
FTP2034.00
      10-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjgt3 View Post
Let me start this of by saying that I love modding the exhaust on every single car I’ve owned. It’s a thing of joy for me...until now.

Bought the Akrapovic Evolution System for the F90 and surprisingly didn’t have to wait a Long time for the first set to be delivered in Asia. I bought it with the Akrapovic Carbon diffuser as well to complete the look.

For the first time ever, really, I am forced to admit that I’ve bought an exhaust for the public who see and hear my car from the outside and not me.

Let me explain, the F90 is incredibly well insulated. From outside the car, the exhaust sounds absolutely heavenly even with the valve closed. With it open, it sounds like The God of Thunder has taken up residence in the rear end of your M5. And it is glorious!

BUT, and it’s a fairly big BUT, from the inside, where you and I take up residence, it’s pretty much the same old situation....it barely sounds any different to the 1MA M Sports exhaust option that all of us could have spec’d on our cars from new. And to me, that’s very disappointing on what is a very expensive exhaust system.

Just to put it into context, I had an F10 M5 as well to which I fit the Akrapovic Evo system and the result was for more pronounced for some reason. I could actually hear the difference. On this F90 System, with the valves open, there’s not much of an improvement in aural quality within the cabin. You can hear the tiny micro explosions when you lift off the throttle mid gear with the valves open a little better, but so far, that’s it.

As for the supposed increase in horsepower and torque, well you were never really going to be able to feel the difference on a car that comes with 600 of those ponies stock.....I certainly haven’t felt anything significantly different worth reporting so far.

For the sake of fairness, I will admit I’ve only driven 500km with the Akrapovic on the car so I am willing to accept the fact that it needs some miles on it to open up. My Guess is however, that it’s not going to make a whole lot of difference.

I’m slightly disappointed with the end result but then again, I knew how well insulated the cabin was going into this. So the only way to really enjoy this very expensive exhaust is to drive with the aircon off and windows down, which given Singapore’s ambient hot and humid climate, isn’t ideal at all.

What I will say, positivity, is that the exhaust is a work of art, the Titanium finishing is really next level stuff & the rear diffuser is utterly gorgeous as it’s sits very differently on the rear bumper than the stock piece. This bit of it is worth the $$$$

In conclusion, I would say that if you intend to mod your car power wise down the line, do it. Can’t really go wrong.

However, if you’re buying the Akrapovic for an improvement in sound quality, only your neighbours will really appreciate it...or maybe not if they’re the conservative sort. I would stick with the M Sports 1MA exhaust option as it’s much cheaper with almost the exact same result, or go for a cheaper exhaust system from another company.

This is not really the fault of Akrapovic as it’s just down to the fact that the cabin is so well insulated. Oh well, I’ve bought it now, so I’m going to keep it. For those of you hovering on the fence, give it a good think through as it’s alot of money 💵 to spend for relatively little gain.

Once again, this is purely my own experience and there may well be others who have had a very positive experience with this system. I’m going to drive more to run mine in and hope that the situation, aurally, improves. Cheers 🥂

Akra never really advertised increased HP and Torque for their system (it's so minuscule) and I also believe they meet the European noise rule, so it's not designed as a loud system.,
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #3
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, X5 M50d

I’ve had my F90 Competition Pack fitted with the Akra and rear diffuser for a couple of weeks and really love it. Akra are developing catted downpipes, which will open up the sound more and Eventuri are launching their intake at Sema in the next week or so. All together should be quite fun. Add a McChip DKR tune and next week my car has fitted KWV4’s (we are going to lower the car some more and maybe spacers.......) and look at turbos a bit later. Same as all the work I have had done on my M4....which delivers 640hp....

Last edited by 2187; 10-19-2018 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: Typo..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Arjgt3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Akra never really advertised increased HP and Torque for their system (it's so minuscule) and I also believe they meet the European noise rule, so it's not designed as a loud system.,
Yes they do claim a horsepower and torque increase. It’s right there on their website: + 11.3hp & 21.3Nm. Also I said it’s plenty loud outside the car but lacks the aural excitement from within. That was my point. If you’re buying an exhaust just for the volume factor, from inside the car it’s no different to the M Sport option which is a lot cheaper. Cheers
‘10 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Arjgt3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2187 View Post
I’ve had my F90 Competition Pack fitted with the Akra and rear diffuser for a couple of weeks and really love it. Akra are developing catted downpipes, which will open up the sound more and Eventuri are launching their intake at Sema in the next week or so. All together should be quite fun. Add a McChip DKR tune and next week my car has fitted KWV4’s (we are going to lower the car some more and maybe spacers.......) and look at turbos a bit later. Same as all the work I have had done on my M4....which delivers 640hp....
Wow! Looks like you’ve got a whole program for the car sorted. Awesome mate! I look forward to reading your reports on what your going to do. Sounds like a hell of a plan 👍👍👍
‘10 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yes they do claim a horsepower and torque increase. It’s right there on their website: + 11.3hp & 21.3Nm. Also I said it’s plenty loud outside the car but lacks the aural excitement from within. That was my point. If you’re buying an exhaust just for the volume factor, from inside the car it’s no different to the M Sport option which is a lot cheaper. Cheers
Yes I know they have a claim as I have it on my F10, which is why I said it's minuscule because it's not something you can feel.

Akra to me is refinement, a very high quality product but maybe overpriced. However, I see your car is in Singapore and mine is in Taiwan, where cars are very expensive, so a 8k system is all of sudden, only a small percentage of the price of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
Rep

I also have my car booked in for XPEL Stealth cover over my Donington Grey colour in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Should be pretty cool, as it will look very similar in colour to the M5 Comp launch ‘frosted’ colour at Ascari, but with far great depth of character. The thing with the ‘frosted’ paint is if it gets scratched, it’s fucked and you can’t polish it, so you’re in the shitter either way....sorry for my foul language!

I have owned quite a few interesting cars in recent years, from 997 Turbo S with all manner of mods, from full on exhuast, intercoolers, Manthey Wheels, Big Pirelli rubber, KW competition, in fact only two kits made, one for me and one for grandson of Porsche founder, etc, etc, AMG C63 Black Series, E60 v10, E46 M3, current M4, McLaren 12c and 650S, Bentley Conti, Mustang GT 2016, with 850HP and this M5 I think will eat all of them when finished. Maybe with exception of 650S, which was mental, however I see times compared to McLaren Senna, modded F90’s are very close......the M5 is a bonkers car, full stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
scotty91ss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5, '15 X5M,'91Chev454ss

Thanks for the negative review. It does let people know the other side. I have a DGrey M5 wrapped in Stealth and love it. I also just ordered an Akra. I bought it to reduce weight and add horsepower. Some louder exhaust notes I prefer. If you add a Tune or Downpipes, you will change your exhaust sound and probably make it louder, if that doesn't work, roll down the rear windows.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

Try opening a rear section of the back seat so you can see into the trunk. That will allow more exhaust note into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
Rep

Scotty, you got it all right!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
ShockArrival
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Search

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Thanks for the review! If it's any consolation, the system looks outstanding on your car!
      10-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I think if you remove those M decals on the rear bumper, it'll sound better inside the car.
Appreciate 1
Mcc420473.50
      10-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Yep I have the Sports Exhaust and it sounds ok, as the car is so well insulated I would not wast Money on Exhaust systems, you will not here them.
But others will including PLOD (police) and they will be looking for you.
Another reason to "keep the noise down"
      10-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have posted in several threads about the insulation of this car and maybe its too good. With that being said, another member here has Akra because his Eisenmann Race was too loud. Maybe thats the route you go now but I do know how much money you shelved out.

I tried the back seat thing before I got a full Remus exhaust and while its louder I need the back seats from time to time and it just isnt practical to keep flipping it up and down.

My Remus is very loud and I get just the amount of inside cabin and tons of roar, pops, barks, and rumble on the outside too. It has very non restrictive cans and 80mm piping.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
josec704051.00
      10-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #15
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have posted in several threads about the insulation of this car and maybe its too good. With that being said, another member here has Akra because his Eisenmann Race was too loud. Maybe thats the route you go now but I do know how much money you shelved out.

I tried the back seat thing before I got a full Remus exhaust and while its louder I need the back seats from time to time and it just isnt practical to keep flipping it up and down.

My Remus is very loud and I get just the amount of inside cabin and tons of roar, pops, barks, and rumble on the outside too. It has very non restrictive cans and 80mm piping.
In my opinion Akropovic works best with full catless down pipes.
Yes Eisenmann race is too loud only because with my setup it's a straight pipe.
But Akra is something else, I heard it in person and it sounds
Like a roaring Lion .
Appreciate 1
shayan30118.50
      10-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

I'd be driving with the windows down anyways... Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
shayan30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I think this would be a review for nearly every aftermarket exhaust since the F90 is so well insulated however like shahin mentioned, throw in catless DPs.

My current setup is the Akra with catless DP's are its roars - its absolutely perfect IMO. Sound is also good enough inside that its not annoying to family when I have passengers (wife and a 15 month old). With windows down, its obviously another story and the sound is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
M5speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Garage List
Valid concerns with the cost factor. The cost is eye watering. Figure it would have been a $5000-$6000k option if it were offered as part of the build process.

If you want more sound, thats an easy fix also. Better to start slow and build your way up to the engine as your needs dictate.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #19
LonelyCupiD
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

... Crack open the rear windows. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #20
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

We have an akra going onto an F90 today that's fitted with full downpipes :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 04:27 AM   #21
Arjgt3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
We have an akra going onto an F90 today that's fitted with full downpipes :-)
Please post a video Jeff. What downpipes did you fit? Do Akrapovic make them by any chance?
‘10 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #22
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Please post a video Jeff. What downpipes did you fit? Do Akrapovic make them by any chance?
Shoot me your email in a PM and i'll send you a few videos.
The car is equipped with Keller Performance primary and secondary downpipes, Lusso Performance front mount intakes, Pure Turbos, JB4 + DME Tuning back end flash, full Akrapovic system. I have a revving video with valves open and closed as well.
Appreciate 1