BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Question Has anyone gone aftermarket with the stereo?

I’ve put a couple of subs spare tire area, but now I’m unhappy with the rest of the speakers (HK system). I find the tweeters quite harsh and I’m unable to resolve thst with the built in equalizer. After a few months, I’m finally looking to go after market. My local shop has some big apirations of things they want to do:
  • Focal PS165 F3 (3 way components)
  • Some simple rear fill TBD
  • The above (plus existing sub amp) running through a jl VX800/8i (75x8rms + DSP)

I’m aware of the few bmw-specific aftermarket systems but not 100% sold without being able to listen. So, questions:
  1. Anyone have any experiences to share with replacing speakers? What worked? What was fitment like? Did you do anything custom? I would like to keep the look 100% stock and be able to fairly easily put everything back to stock.
  2. Has anyone added any controllers (eg remote for dsp) or knobs (eg sub volume control)? If so, where did you mont them? I’ve currently got a bass volume knob mounted inside the sunglass/change compartment to the left of the steering wheel which is at least hidden, but I’m not sure you could put a screen of sorts in there.

Appreciate any feedback or experiences.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Goose619
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I’ve heard good things about bav sound. It looks like quality stuff and cheaper too.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

edmiston had a multi-part thread that was worth a read for anyone considering this and wanting to get an idea for someone else's thought process.

First post is here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537088
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
edmiston had a multi-part thread that was worth a read for anyone considering this and wanting to get an idea for someone else's thought process.

First post is here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537088
Appreciate the link. When I first started reading I was too confused about all the separate links but he appears to have consolidated a bit.

I appreciate his struggle too. I’ll have to reply or subscribe to that thread to hear the outcome.

Doesn’t seem like many people are doing much other than replacing the 4” mids or 1” tweeters through out the vehicle. Maybe I should take note that this is for a reason?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I think the stock HK system sounds great
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50
      10-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
Appreciate the link. When I first started reading I was too confused about all the separate links but he appears to have consolidated a bit.

I appreciate his struggle too. I’ll have to reply or subscribe to that thread to hear the outcome.

Doesn’t seem like many people are doing much other than replacing the 4” mids or 1” tweeters through out the vehicle. Maybe I should take note that this is for a reason?
You can just click on his name and click through to his other posts.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

My gf bought me the Bavsound underseat subs a few weeks ago. I have yet to install them. Ill give you guys a review after installation.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Step ahead of you. It’s too bad he didn’t go down putting together his own system but he/you did help me with the correct search terms to come across some other bmw forums and discussions on aftermarket stereos.

One of the better items I came across is: http://www.focal-america.com/installs/bmw-x5/

I was already convinced that placing a 5.25” or 6.5” speaker in the door wasn’t an option (without modifications) and the only option was a 4”. My concern was properly bridging the gap between bass and mids. The video above reminded me of the under seat subs and how they could likely be used to bridge that gap.

All the same the following components are on my latest list of interest:
  • Focal ES 100K for front doors
  • Focal ifbmw sub v2 or similar for underseat mid bass
  • Cheaper filler 4” coaxial/component set for rear doors
  • JL Audio VX800/8i to power it all

Online I’m told there’s allegedly a 4” mid and 1” tweeter in the D-pillar. I can’t imagine replacing those but I do mean to simply look for them. Sadly I keep forgetting this when I’m in/leaving my vehicle.

The investigation continues...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
My gf bought me the Bavsound underseat subs a few weeks ago. I have yet to install them. Ill give you guys a review after installation.
Turns out there are many underseat sub options. BAVsound is allegedly one of the better options. I would be curious to hear your feedback.

I don’t think replacing the sub alone will solve The cut out of bass at higher volumes but I still curious to hear how you say it sounds compared to stock!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Turns out there are many underseat sub options. BAVsound is allegedly one of the better options. I would be curious to hear your feedback.

I don’t think replacing the sub alone will solve The cut out of bass at higher volumes but I still curious to hear how you say it sounds compared to stock!
I tried the bavsound subs in my 235i. Found the sound was worse...muddled almost. Removed them after a week and returned them. That was about 18 months ago, so maybe they've improved them?

Ended up doing Focals all around and an add on (small) sub in the trunk. Worked out great.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
Clive83
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Step ahead of you. It’s too bad he didn’t go down putting together his own system but he/you did help me with the correct search terms to come across some other bmw forums and discussions on aftermarket stereos.

One of the better items I came across is: http://www.focal-america.com/installs/bmw-x5/

I was already convinced that placing a 5.25” or 6.5” speaker in the door wasn’t an option (without modifications) and the only option was a 4”. My concern was properly bridging the gap between bass and mids. The video above reminded me of the under seat subs and how they could likely be used to bridge that gap.

All the same the following components are on my latest list of interest:
  • Focal ES 100K for front doors
  • Focal ifbmw sub v2 or similar for underseat mid bass
  • Cheaper filler 4” coaxial/component set for rear doors
  • JL Audio VX800/8i to power it all

Online I’m told there’s allegedly a 4” mid and 1” tweeter in the D-pillar. I can’t imagine replacing those but I do mean to simply look for them. Sadly I keep forgetting this when I’m in/leaving my vehicle.

The investigation continues...
I am also looking for some speaker replacement, and lately 've been reading controvercial reviews about BavSound. A couple of days ago came across one guy on YT, Justin Buice. He made an install video for BimmerTech Alpha One speakers.

Not 100% sold on them, but right now surfing through the forums to see what people say.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I ended up going with:
  • Focal direct replacement 8" subs for under seat
  • Focal direct replacement 4" component set (stock locations)
  • JL VX600/6i powering (components, subs, rear doors) - active setup
  • Mobirdge M1000 MDA1 to help convert signals

I always struggle to compare things without being able to compare A/B and the speakers are all still fairly new, but the biggest impact has been the ability to tune the subs (previously installed JL TW3's). The speakers sound good, but i'm not convinced they sound amazingly better (yet). I took one try at tuning via the JL amps DSP, but failed miserably. I'm new to it, so I expect it to take a couple tries.

The above mentioned additions came with a hefty price tag. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the speakers/equipment, but I think I had higher expectations. Having said that, I don't think the initial speakers were bad nor the issue, but rather the processing (and maybe some lack of mid-bass - which also could have been partially processing). Regardless, I'm still happy, but I think some further tuning will drastically improve things!

I realize this doesn't at all help your debate, but it's my experience thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think replacing the sub alone will solve The cut out of bass at higher volumes but I still curious to hear how you say it sounds compared to stock!
I tried the bavsound subs in my 235i. Found the sound was worse...muddled almost. Removed them after a week and returned them. That was about 18 months ago, so maybe they've improved them?

Ended up doing Focals all around and an add on (small) sub in the trunk. Worked out great.
I think your approach of adding a larger sub with a dedicated amp in the back gives you the best bang for the buck.

Personally, I think the dual 8" under seat subs sound ok to my ears, but they do not give the tactile, earth moving base that one can 'feel' and it's probably what some people are missing from the stock HK system.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41912.50