Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel/Suspension problem

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 XI

Wheel/Suspension problem

Sup all, A couple of weeks ago My car lost control in the snow storm and hit a curb. The Rear wheel was pushed in and the alignment was all messed up. I took it back to the dealer. They charged me over $3500 dollars to replace the broken parts/wheel. I was expecting Bmw to repair it to the way it was prior to the accident. Since I have gotten my car back from them I've run into some bad luck. My car was hit in a car wash, My window post was dented, and now I still feel like the car pulls to the right and the wheel is still slightly pushed in. hardly noticeable to someone who hasnt examined this car like I have. Im getting sick of my dealer but I want my car fixed as it was before. If they charged me for all the parts they had to replace...wouldnt the wheel be straight again? And also the new wheel and tire isnt even balanced... The service guy said that since its a new wheel it doesnt need to be balanced. This makes no sense because all the other wheels are balanced! What's the next step I should take if bmw service isnt willing to fix the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedupcivic
Sup all, A couple of weeks ago My car lost control in the snow storm and hit a curb. The Rear wheel was pushed in and the alignment was all messed up. I took it back to the dealer. They charged me over $3500 dollars to replace the broken parts/wheel. I was expecting Bmw to repair it to the way it was prior to the accident. Since I have gotten my car back from them I've run into some bad luck. My car was hit in a car wash, My window post was dented, and now I still feel like the car pulls to the right and the wheel is still slightly pushed in. hardly noticeable to someone who hasnt examined this car like I have. Im getting sick of my dealer but I want my car fixed as it was before. If they charged me for all the parts they had to replace...wouldnt the wheel be straight again? And also the new wheel and tire isnt even balanced... The service guy said that since its a new wheel it doesnt need to be balanced. This makes no sense because all the other wheels are balanced! What's the next step I should take if bmw service isnt willing to fix the wheel?
Same happened to me except it wasn't snow but sand.

Insurance paid out and fixed everything.

Car feels better now on the road than it did when I first took delivery.

E90 M-Sport Package, Sapphire Black . Exterior
Logic 7 Sound, Sunroof , I-Drive, Sport Seats , Sat-Nav, Beige Dekota Leather , Aluminium Trim . Interior
Blacklines installed recently, Chrome exaust Tip, Mods :rocks: :rocks:
1999- April - E36 Special Edition 316i (Brilliant Red)
2004- April - E46 Sport Pack 318i (Alpine White)
2005- December- E90 M-Sport 320i (Sapphire Black)
Next- 2008 - E92 335i Coupe (Don't know yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep

Hey maybe in South Africa the service techs' aim for perfection. The way I've been treated at my dealer and repair center... I highly doubt some 19 yr old kid is going to take his time to do something right.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ofcourse a new wheel needs to be balanced

You also need to have a wheel alignment done
This will set the proper TOE and Camber so the wheel sits correct.

Do you have a good tire and wheel place near you that can check the alignment and wheel balancing ??
      03-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
3some
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E90 //M Sport 320i S/Black

Garage List
Well not to brag or anything, in South Africa we have all the car brands that are sold all over the world but year on year BMW wins in South Africa for best service and after sales sattisfaction. This information is compiled using surveys etc. And I even told my dealer after my small incident that it feels to me like they do repairs better than what the factory gives you when you first take delivery of a brand new car.

I swear my car feels and handles better after they replaced parts and readjusted my suspension after my small accident. Example. The day I recieved my car brand new, The steering wheel was not centre when driving on a straight road. After my accident and replacement of parts the car is 100% straigth on any road surface.

So yes we do have great service technicians.

And they do care about our comments and complaints because all our dealers are SHIT scared of BMW South Africa's head office.

E90 M-Sport Package, Sapphire Black . Exterior
Logic 7 Sound, Sunroof , I-Drive, Sport Seats , Sat-Nav, Beige Dekota Leather , Aluminium Trim . Interior
Blacklines installed recently, Chrome exaust Tip, Mods :rocks: :rocks:
1999- April - E36 Special Edition 316i (Brilliant Red)
2004- April - E46 Sport Pack 318i (Alpine White)
2005- December- E90 M-Sport 320i (Sapphire Black)
Next- 2008 - E92 335i Coupe (Don't know yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

How's it going, Coupedupcivic. You know, I've read your posts this past week about your misfortune with the scratch and your wheel alignment issue. I must say, I've had a similar experience with Park Ave BMW as well. When I got my 325xi three years ago, there was something wrong with my suspension. Brought it to Park Ave service and they had my car for a day or two. On the day of pick up, I noticed a gash on my rear bumper. I was really disappointed with them and told them that the scratch hadn't been there when I had brought it in. After a few minutes, they decided to take it in their own hands and get the bumper repainted.

Fine, I got it repainted, but the suspension problem was still there. After multiple attmpts to get it fixed at that service dept., I decided to take my car to another authorized BMW service dept. I went to Westchester BMW, and I must say, it was like night and day. They were much more organized, more personable, and actually got the suspension problem resolved.

Moral of story: Take it to another authorized BMW service dept. where you KNOW of other fellow bmw owners that have had positive results. Being that you're from NJ, Westchester BMW may be too far. I would ask some e90 posters that are from nj where they take their car to for service and had their issues resolved in a timely manner.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune- trust me, I was in the same boat. I really thought I got a lemon (thank god I leased it), but ever since I brought it to Westchester BMW, my car has been quite flawless...

Hope this helps and good luck, dude...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SP Arctic Metallic

Quote:
What bad luck, I sympathize.

A) Bring the car to a tire shop and have them put it on the wheel alignment lift and take measurements across each diagonal long axis. From the front right lowewr wheel knucle to the left rear and FL to RR. Both measurements should be close, very close.
B) Measure the height from any point of each suspension side for the front, to the lift floor, measurements should be very close for each front wheels and each back wheels (front and back can be different values as long as the left right match clodely).

If you get good results here, ther is no frame dammage, avoiding very costly and intrusive repair work.

C) Wheels definately need to be balanced, even when new, a technician that tells you different is bullshitting you or is stupid. It may not require much weights but it has to be spun to check out.

D) have the car aligned by an reputable tire shop and ask that they check all rubber insulators, gromets and knuckles, tighten if needed.

Assuming your dealer has replaced all broken parts and once all of the above is done, and corrected if needed, your car should be as close to it's original feel.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
ver.e90
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Oh, and as far as wheel balancing goes, it doesn't matter if the wheel is new. It needs to be put on the balancing machine regardless. Just b/c a wheel is new doesn't mean its perfectly balanced. The tire may cause a bit of off-balance on the wheel as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep

Hey thanks guys... But I think Im going to have to deal with park ave bmw on this matter because it was they who had repaired (not under warranty)my car. I dont think I can go to another dealer for this problem. Im going to heed pazzuzzu's advice and take my car to a shop to have them check it out first before i bring it back to Bmw. Thanks once again for your time guys. Ill try to post pics to see if you guys can see a difference between the rear wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep

Also when I first got the car back from the dealer...The car was pulling to the right. I brought it back to them and they said it was an alignment. For some reason the car's steering is not as stiff and still feels like the car is being forced to go in one direction. I hope they replaced the parts they needed to and didnt just lie and say they did.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
Pazzuzzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SP Arctic Metallic

Quote:
Also when I first got the car back from the dealer...The car was pulling to the right. I brought it back to them and they said it was an alignment. For some reason the car's steering is not as stiff and still feels like the car is being forced to go in one direction. I hope they replaced the parts they needed to and didnt just lie and say they did.

Good luck with the dealer Coupedupcivic :rocks:
The key to getting satsifaction with any dealer service is: don't take any bullshit.
Ask questions and if they try to dazzle you with abstract or sensless answers ask them to explain it differently until their talking their language. If they realize they can't F... withy you they'll stop trying.

Bring it back each time for everly little rattle or pulling etc...a and they'll get the message that you won't take .
You are the customer, the most powerfull individual at that location at that time...use the power wisely.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey thanks guys... But I think Im going to have to deal with park ave bmw on this matter because it was they who had repaired (not under warranty)my car. I dont think I can go to another dealer for this problem. Im going to heed pazzuzzu's advice and take my car to a shop to have them check it out first before i bring it back to Bmw. Thanks once again for your time guys. Ill try to post pics to see if you guys can see a difference between the rear wheels?
Why didn't your insurance pay for this? Did you not file a claim?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 02:24 AM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
sorry to hear this man. well, you should know that after an accident, a car will never be the same as before.

but should be damn close if dealer did things right. every wheel must be balanced.
I suggest you complain this issue and maybe get some inspection done. alignment included.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0