BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) DIY maintenance and trade in value

10-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Joshilling
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xdrive 28i

DIY maintenance and trade in value

When I bought my X1 and the finance guy was trying to sell me on a maintenance package. When I mentioned I planned on doing some things myself, he said it would kill my trade-in value. He told me that if all the maintenance wasn’t performed by BMW they would assume the car wasn’t maintained properly (no matter what records I kept) and couldn’t sell it as a CPO if I traded it in.

I figured this was all BS to get me to try to buy the maintenance package from them. Has anyone else run into this? Does changing your own oil and other DIY maintenance really kill the trade-in value?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

It's a bit of a moot point. No doubt you are as, if not more, competent as a dealer in undertaking maintenance on your car. The problem always is that the prospective second-hand car buyer doesn't know you, or have any sense of your competence and capability. The dealer (or authorised service garage) stamp/service record is thus a well-recognized proxy and — yes — second hand car buyers do value a well-authenticated service history. Doesn't mean you have to buy the plan...but I did because I figured it was good value.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

The plans in the UK are now more expensive than the service they offer, so I didn't bother with the plan and opted to pay each visit.

That said, I don't like taking the oil to 19k miles, so do my own oil and filter change at 9.5k with either shell or castrol BMW spec oil and an OEM filter.

Whilst the service costs are higher(£240 vs £90), you have the support of BMW should anything go wrong, equally I know my engine is being well looked after.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      10-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Maintenance for 4 years should be included in every new BMW, at least it was for the entire term of our lease.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

This from the Federal Trade Commision in USA:

"Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual."
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Joshilling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
Maintenance for 4 years should be included in every new BMW, at least it was for the entire term of our lease.
They only include 3 years now. Some things are included, but a lot isn’t (e.g. tire rotation, fluid top off). But what bothered me was that they were essentially forcing me/trying to trick me into doing all the service with them. There is a good independent BMW mechanic in my town and I’ve heard from several coworkers that the prices are much better.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Joshilling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
This from the Federal Trade Commision in USA:

"Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual."
Thanks. I thought this sounded borderline illegal, but I wasn’t sure. I’ve never dealt with this dealer before and the whole process was fine until I got to the finance guy. He left a bad impression and when he pulled that i was tempted to walk away.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Ridin'Dirty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '93 'Beemer' R100r, '17 X1(S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshilling View Post
I’ve never dealt with this dealer before and the whole process was fine until I got to the finance guy.
My situation exactly when I picked up my factory order; so much up-selling - from financing (I'm sitting there with the check in my hand), wheel and tire protection, etc. Wasn't impressed with their Genius either especially after I asked him where the fuse panel was and he couldn't tell me. Would have also liked to have picked out my own "dealer freebies" instead of them just installing wheel locks and doing a nitrogen fill for the tires before asking. I know, "sour grapes" but I still like the car.
Appreciate 0