F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on two repairs needed
GetBMWParts

10-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Elrond
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Advice on two repairs needed

Whats that saying, "When it rains, it pours"! Ok, in the grand scheme of things its not bad but its annoying when you take care of your things but others don't.

Anyway, I needed to get one repair but now I need two. So I'm just looking for some advice on how to proceed especially insurance wise for the second.

First one:

Got back to my car after work one week and noticed, well, couldn't really miss, this scratch. I don't know when or who did it so I'll have to swallow the cost

Name:  IMG_1435a.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  723.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1438.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  865.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1440.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  613.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1441.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  786.4 KB

I was thinking a company like Chips Away. Or should I go down another route?

Second one:

<Removed due to privacy>

Sorry for the long post. It's just that you don't seem to be able to have anything nice these days

Last edited by Elrond; 12-23-2018 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Abdul Karim
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

If it was my car I would insist that a BMW approved body shop is used. You may find that once the cost is known, your man will want to use the insurance. It won't be cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

So, insurance or not? The quotes I get may change his mind anyway so should I go to BMW or someone else? Is there a way I could kill two birds with one stone and get both repair at the same time but obviously with him only paying for what he did?

It looks by your post you don't know anyone in the trade to complete the repairs so I agree with the above poster regarding a BMW approved repairer Im sure they will complete both repairs and as mentioned above once the estimate is provided the guy responsible will want to go through his insurers also
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

The key mark will require respray, not a chip away style smart repair, as will the other damage. £750 ish per panel from bmw if another thread is anything to go by.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
dangerous_al
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i G01 2020

Not sure where you are, but my wifes Fiesta (dark blue metallic) was hit by bin wagon at Christmas. I asked a friend of mine who works in a paint shop where to take it and he recommended a local firm. They did a great job, fully guaranteed and not expensive. Painted the rear bumper, offside rear quarter and blended the rear door - £480. Last week, a neighbour on our street reversed into it, same corner on rear bumper, this time no panel damage but broken fog light. £270, of which £35 is for the fog light. Just goes to show you don't have to pay through the nose for a decent repair job.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

The above is a good point IMO. A good local body shop should be able to repair both areas of the car and blend it in reasonably well. If it’s an insurance job then they may let you use BMW, but their is no guarantee of this.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerous_al View Post
Not sure where you are, but my wifes Fiesta (dark blue metallic) was hit by bin wagon at Christmas. I asked a friend of mine who works in a paint shop where to take it and he recommended a local firm. They did a great job, fully guaranteed and not expensive. Painted the rear bumper, offside rear quarter and blended the rear door - £480. Last week, a neighbour on our street reversed into it, same corner on rear bumper, this time no panel damage but broken fog light. £270, of which £35 is for the fog light. Just goes to show you don't have to pay through the nose for a decent repair job.

Excellent point and its true what they say

Its not what you know but who you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:45 AM   #8
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

Bad luck. A new rear bumper from BMW will set you (or the insurance company) back about £1500.
      10-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #9
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

you don't say whether you own the car or not - or how long you want to keep it.

Think I would just use a recommended approved body shop and not BMW one. £300 and he probably pays for it himself. More and its a full insurance job.

get your boot sprayed at the same time and its probably only another £100?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
Elrond
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

To try and answer a couple of questions, I unfortunately don't know anyone in the trade and I'm near London Gatwick airport. The car is on PCP and this is planned to be a keeper.

I've spent today getting a couple of quotes. Chips Away have quoted £170 for the bumper and £205 for the boot. To which, several people have said that is very cheap. My problem is that I used them over 10 years ago and because they mixed the paint, after about a year, the paint on the area that was sprayed started to "watery" compared to the rest of the car. They may have improved though.

BMW have quoted £831 for the bumper and £440 (partial repair) or £608 (full re-spray) for the boot.

All prices include VAT.

Due to the fact that I plan on this car being a keeper, it only being a year old and the history I have with smart repairs, I pretty much want a proper repair. So I'm going to go the insurance route for the bumper and then plan the boot around that. I'm not 100% sure on the boot yet as in my head, because it is more defined edges, maybe a smart repair will be OK.

Insurance handles it all for me and I don't have the worry of making sure he pays me.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
Thanks for the replies.

To try and answer a couple of questions, I unfortunately don't know anyone in the trade and I'm near London Gatwick airport. The car is on PCP and this is planned to be a keeper.

I've spent today getting a couple of quotes. Chips Away have quoted £170 for the bumper and £205 for the boot. To which, several people have said that is very cheap. My problem is that I used them over 10 years ago and because they mixed the paint, after about a year, the paint on the area that was sprayed started to "watery" compared to the rest of the car. They may have improved though.

BMW have quoted £831 for the bumper and £440 (partial repair) or £608 (full re-spray) for the boot.

All prices include VAT.

Due to the fact that I plan on this car being a keeper, it only being a year old and the history I have with smart repairs, I pretty much want a proper repair. So I'm going to go the insurance route for the bumper and then plan the boot around that. I'm not 100% sure on the boot yet as in my head, because it is more defined edges, maybe a smart repair will be OK.

Insurance handles it all for me and I don't have the worry of making sure he pays me.
if you get it into a body shop for the bumper and ask them to deal with the boot at the same time (not under the same ticket as that would be fraud) you may get a better rate as the back of the car will be apart anyway for the bumper re spray -

This is what I have done with mine and it worked out cheaper than sourcing separate repairs elsewhere.

All the best and hope its back to new again for you soon.
      10-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
sound like you made your mind then!

Reminds me - I got a partial repair on my 325 back in 2001. Cut the lacquer off the bonnet, filled/painted a small bit damage and then resprayed with lacquer. You could not tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Elrond
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
if you get it into a body shop for the bumper and ask them to deal with the boot at the same time (not under the same ticket as that would be fraud) you may get a better rate as the back of the car will be apart anyway for the bumper re spray -
Thats what BMW have said they have done. If they actually have or haven't is anyones guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
sound like you made your mind then!
I'm sure a smart repairs have come a long way since I last used one but for peace of mind knowing proper paint rather than mixed is being used etc. I just decided on BMW. My insurance company did offer me a list of other places but I'm sure thats because they get "favourable" rates.

Just need the 3rd Part to not change their mind on what happened. If it comes to it, hopefully the CCTV on the lamppost about 5 meters away covers the whole junction.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

So sorry to see OP.

The 2nd one I've not read but see the diagram so assume it's an accident fair enough.

The 1st one is a proper keying job from some tosser dammit
      10-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

All prices include VAT.

That sounds far too expensive for the bumper! I damaged mine worse than that and Cooper BMW bodyshop quoted £550 to repair and paint!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
Elrond
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
That sounds far too expensive for the bumper! I damaged mine worse than that and Cooper BMW bodyshop quoted £550 to repair and paint!
When the quoted, they knew it was going to go through insurance so I assume they weren't to bothered about giving their best price. They did also say the next day that there will probably be a bit of back and forth with the insurance company over cost so I assume it will come down.

On the subject of insurance, I have been asked by my insurance company to describe what he looks like should the other insurance company request that information. Is that normal?
Appreciate 0