E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looking after Alloys ? - in UK

03-19-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

Question Looking after Alloys ? - in UK

Appologies if a little off topic.

But I am interested in what methods other E90 users use to keep their car looking great, and especially thier alloys. The day I took delivery of my new E90 lats week, my dealer (Cooper BMW) offered some special paintwork/leather treatment with the expectation that I would only need to wash for the first year or so without polishing waxing. Has anyone else taken this offer up ? - does it really avoid polish waxing.

I have orders some Swissol products for Car Wash, Alloys, and Leather care to get me started - cots me £106, and that without Polish/ Wax products.

What sort of wash Polish/ wax regime do typical users do (Not die hard fanatics) Does anyone use local valet services to save time ? Would you recommend using them ? - I have little/no intyention to send my car through an automatic car wash (I am not sure if the valet service would do just that on the sly !) And what treatment do you use to keep alloys looking good. I don't know if valet services do this.

Appologies,just interested in what attitudes other typical E90 owners in the UK do. And how often

Donny.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Hi DonnyGirl.

I was told by my local dealer that their showcars have an optional protective coating to reduce the need for polishing & waxing.
I didn't believe it would work & I imported the car anyway, so I wasn't bothered!

I use Autoglym products & love them.

Here's a few shots of my car after using their Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Vinyl & Rubber Care, Super Resin Polish & finally the Extra Gloss Protection.

I've got their Leather Care Cream also, but haven't yet used it on the Dakota Black leather- it still looks like the day I got it 6 months ago.

I wouldn't use a valet service, because I like doing it myself & I wouldn't use a carwash, because I don't trust them!

My 162s have been very easy to keep clean, although that might be because I never leave them dirty for more than 2-3 weeks at a time!

I just use the bodywork shampoo on them to take of the grime- I've NEVER yet needed anything stronger- just a tougher brush & using it like a toothbrush occasionally for the alloy corners.
I let the alloys dry & then wipe them with a small amount of the super resin polish- they come up clean & dirt just comes off them very easily the next time they are cleaned.

If you just wany to use the minimum for an easy life, then I'd recommend the bodywork shampoo & the super resin polish- I think you'll love the long-lasting finish they provide.

I aint a die-hard fanatic by any means, but I still fancy trying out some Zaino somtime maybe!

Viv

PS- are you coming to the first UK meet, DonnyGirl ?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Hi DonnyGirl.

I was told by my local dealer that their showcars have an optional protective coating to reduce the need for polishing & waxing.
I didn't believe it would work & I imported the car anyway, so I wasn't bothered!

I use Autoglym products & love them.

Here's a few shots of my car after using their Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Vinyl & Rubber Care, e Extra Gloss Protection.Super Resin Polish & finally th

I've got their Leather Care Cream also, but haven't yet used it on the Dakota Black leather- it still looks like the day I got it 6 months ago.

I wouldn't use a valet service, because I like doing it myself & I wouldn't use a carwash, because I don't trust them!

My 162s have been very easy to keep clean, although that might be because I never leave them dirty for more than 2-3 weeks at a time!

I just use the bodywork shampoo on them to take of the grime- I've NEVER yet needed anything stronger- just a tougher brush & using it like a toothbrush occasionally for the alloy corners.
I let the alloys dry & then wipe them with a small amount of the super resin polish- they come up clean & dirt just comes off them very easily the next time they are cleaned.

If you just wany to use the minimum for an easy life, then I'd recommend the bodywork shampoo & the super resin polish- I think you'll love the long-lasting finish they provide.

I aint a die-hard fanatic by any means, but I still fancy trying out some Zaino somtime maybe!

Viv

so you use the Extra Gloss Protection.Super Resin Polish for the alloys wheels then
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch
so you use the Extra Gloss Protection.Super Resin Polish for the alloys wheels then
Hi jj.
I use the Extra Gloss Protection (minimum amount) on the paintwork, after applying a couple of coats of the super resin polish. That stuff works like a wax coating & keeps the polished layers intact for a good while & gives a cleaner finish. I only use it every couple of months, when I really want the paint pristine, so I'll use it for the first UK meet!
Using too much doesn't make it any cleaner & just takes longer to remove after it dries off.

I only use the super resin polish on the alloys, because it works great on its own, witout the need for the extra gloss protection on top- maybe I should try it & see if the alloys stay cleaner for longer?!

For darker colours, like SG , you could try the Ultra Deep Shine.

Other UK members have got hold of Zaino stuff from http://www.advancedcarproducts.com

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Hi jj.
I use the Extra Gloss Protection (minimum amount) on the paintwork, after applying a couple of coats of the super resin polish. That stuff works like a wax coating & keeps the polished layers intact for a good while & gives a cleaner finish. I only use it every couple of months, when I really want the paint pristine!
Using too much doesn't make it any cleaner & just takes longer to remove after it dries off.

I only use the super resin polish on the alloys, because it works great on its own, witout the need for the extra gloss protection on top- maybe I should try it & see if the alloys stay cleaner for longer?!
thnx for your reply i will use the resin polish next time and have got the autoglym tyre dressing from the shops do you use that stuff on your tyres too
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch
thnx for your reply i will use the resin polish next time and have got the autoglym tyre dressing from the shops do you use that stuff on your tyres too
I've used the instant tyre dressing a while ago on other cars & it's great stuff, but this time I couldn't be arsed buying that & an interior cleaner as well, so I use the vinyl & rubber care for both the inside & the tyres.

I've used the Turtlewax tyre stuff in the past as well- the Wet n black works well, but doesn't last for that long.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

Quote:

Would that be the AutoGlyn Super Resin Polish you used on the Alloys ?

I maybe able to do the Rockinhgham in April, but its a bit far for me in Surrey

Cheers

Donny
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyGirl
Would that be the AutoGlyn Super Resin Polish you used on the Alloys ?

Cheers

Donny
Yes Donny.
I use the shampoo conditioner to remove the surface dirt first, let the wheel dry, then apply a small amount of the Autoglym Super Resin Polish (great stuff) with a microfibre cloth.
Use several layers on the bodywork, letting it dry before re-applying, if you want a really nice finish.

Would be good to see you & your car Donny, if you can make the meet.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyGirl

Cheers

Donny
Donny, I live very close to you and I'm going to the meet in April. We could drive up in convoy if you're interested?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Just for a change from Autoglym, I bought some Meguiars stuff today- went to Halfords (cos I couldn't be arsed waiting to order it from the net) & bought the combo case- NXT car wash, NXT tech wax, NXT glass cleaner & wash mit; and also the High gloss tyre shine.

I've only had it on a couple of hours, but it looks great. I'll see if it really does provide longer protection than the Autoglym stuff or not.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #11
matthewr
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i M-Sport

Wax for Wheels

Hi, has anyone had the time to try that Turtle wax wax for wheels? Does it help keep brake dust off the wheels, is it worth spending all that time waxing the wheels?
      05-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

An insider tip..............

The best thing for cleaning wheels is WASHING POWDER!!

I kid you not. You won't believe how well it works. Its got such strong degreasing abilities, just brush on and rinse off. (great for tar spots too). Half a cup full in a bucket of hot water, cheaper than all these nasty expensive acid cleaners that sting your eyes etc. (Wonderwheels!)

Wheels are a lot tougher than clothes and they spend hours sloshing round in the stuff.

When I'm going to wax the car, then use washing powder to wash the paintwork. It's gets all the old waxes off down to a squeaky clean surface which dries very quickly. New wax goes on like a dream.

On a new car, don't use polish (abrasives) - just some sort of wax / resin coating (make sure is says 'non abrasive)
      05-03-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
Beefy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Trotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
An insider tip..............

The best thing for cleaning wheels is WASHING POWDER!!

I kid you not. You won't believe how well it works. Its got such strong degreasing abilities, just brush on and rinse off. (great for tar spots too). Half a cup full in a bucket of hot water, cheaper than all these nasty expensive acid cleaners that sting your eyes etc. (Wonderwheels!)

Wheels are a lot tougher than clothes and they spend hours sloshing round in the stuff.

When I'm going to wax the car, then use washing powder to wash the paintwork. It's gets all the old waxes off down to a squeaky clean surface which dries very quickly. New wax goes on like a dream.

On a new car, don't use polish (abrasives) - just some sort of wax / resin coating (make sure is says 'non abrasive)
As what I've been told by many most domestic washing products contain salt that will harm the paintwork and body shell, not sure if it is lots of rubbish
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:

Even a new car car benfit from a polish.

I've used Zymol on my E46 from the day after I got it. Although expensive I would highly recommend it. It lasts longer than the Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and as it's formulated using natural ingredients and will make the outside of your car smell great .

The shampoo (Clear Autobathe) has been formulated to avoid removing any wax layer from the car, so you can go for longer between apllications.

The polish (HD_Cleanse) is a lovely chocolate like sauce that brings the surface to absolute smoothness. Even the day after picking up the car the areas not polished were significantly rougher, and the polishing cloth would slide straight off any surface with the slightest camber when polished.

The wax (I use Z3) contains 21% Carnauba Sap and 22% Brazillian Carnauba (the toughest known wax). You can use the heat of your hands to melt it and rub it on (if no one is looking). It buffs up easily to a great shine that lasts. It smells of coconut, and whilst putting the first coat on my neighbour even complimented me on the smell of the car!

The water beading properties are the biggest problem. When you wash the car the next time the water beads quickly and runs off before you can chamois down.

Bird Strikes wash off more easily than with Autoglym (normally a hose down is enough) and because it is only a wax you can build up a good coating over several washes.

For the wheels I initially just used the same wash and wax, but didn't keep to waxing the wheels.. Now I just do the best I can and give up.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner

I've used Zymol on my E46 from the day after I got it. Although expensive I would highly recommend it. It lasts longer than the Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and as it's formulated using natural ingredients and will make the outside of your car smell great .
I've used Autoglym Super Resin Polish since I got my car, 6 months ago.
You are right about other polishes & waxes/sealants lasting longer, Matt.
I'e been trying out Meguiars NXT stuff for a while now, for a change.
The wash & polish/sealant seems to last for ages- even when the car is dirty close-up, it still looks clean!

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 05:13 AM   #16
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy
As what I've been told by many most domestic washing products contain salt that will harm the paintwork and body shell, not sure if it is lots of rubbish
You are right, they do contain a little salt. But all the roads in the UK are covered in salt for 6 months of the year and your car is blasted with it at high speed in hideous weather conditions, getting it into every nook and cranny of the vehicle, where it often remains for ever.

So a little salt in a product which gives great results and then is rinsed off immediately with fresh water is not going to do any harm.

I shall be doing mine tomorrow - might try persil!
      05-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #17
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner

I've used Zymol on my E46 from the day after I got it........

The polish (HD_Cleanse) is a lovely chocolate like sauce that brings the surface to absolute smoothness.......
Thats what I meant, Zymol wax is not a polish, nor is the Autoglym super resin coating etc. They are 'waxes' or 'coatings'

(also HD_Cleanse is a stage 2 fine abrasive 'cleanser' for removing oxidised paintwork and road film etc. prior to waxing, with a warning 'Do not drive the car or allow it to stand more than 24 hours without completing the Zymöl process' i.e. after using HD_Cleanse!!!! )

The waxes coat the car in wax/resin. By calling them a polish's its easy to confuse them with real polish which is abrasive. You need to check the contents for chalk and other substances.

'polishing' stage 2: http://www.zymol.com/cleaning.htm

'waxing' stage 3: http://www.zymol.com/feeding.htm

Last edited by 330m; 05-05-2006 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Thats what I meant, Zymol wax is not a polish, nor is the Autoglym super resin coating etc. They are 'waxes' or 'coatings'

(also HD_Cleanse is a stage 2 fine abrasive 'cleanser' for removing oxidised paintwork and road film etc. prior to waxing, with a warning 'Do not drive the car or allow it to stand more than 24 hours without completing the Zymöl process' i.e. after using HD_Cleanse!!!! )

The waxes coat the car in wax/resin. By calling them a polish's its easy to confuse them with real polish which is abrasive. You need to check the contents for chalk and other substances.

'polishing' stage 2: http://www.zymol.com/cleaning.htm

'waxing' stage 3: http://www.zymol.com/feeding.htm
Abosolutely.. the HD Cleanse is a light polish intended to remove everything from the car and get it down to the laquer for you to start waxing. For this very reason I've only done this a couple of times when I knew that I could spend loads of time on the car and the weather was perfect... and then only 1 panel at a time.

...and even a brand new car will have been covered in sealer and protective films, left out in the elements and washed with who knows what sort of stuff by the dealer before you get it. I was shocked just how much effect polishing a day old car had. Perhaps I'm picky, but I prefer to strip all this off and get a few coats of good quality wax on.

Autoglym actually quote on their website that the Super Resin Polish is "the ultimate easy to use combination cleaner, polish and sealant."

I guess it's just a different approach... Autoglym = strip and seal every time. Zymol and other waxes = build layer on layer of wax.

The Autoglym range is great and I used it for years, but Zymol shades it for ease of re-washing and longevity of protection.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #19
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d m sport

Garage List
I use IMO car wash which is unashamedly retro these days
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #20
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

paddywac:

The Hand Job car wash on the Princess Parkway do a great job too!
      05-06-2006, 08:05 AM   #21
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
paddywac:

The Hand Job car wash on the Princess Parkway do a great job too!
With a name like that, I've got to ask, is it the car or the driver they take care of??!

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Beefy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 330d Trotter

I can’t even keep my car clean; we have a hosepipe ban in the south east!! 1000 pounds fine if you are caught. :mad:

I'm not putting my car through a carwash so I'd better quickly become an expert with the primary use of a bucket as washing my car on a Sunday is one of my weekly highlights.
Appreciate 0