BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
TheBull
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few things

Audi Q8

Has anyone cross-shopped the Audi Q8?
It's slightly more expensive but close enough to consider.
Personally I think the interior is beautiful. Clean lines, sporty, luxurious and understated. Exactly what I look for in an interior.
The fascia is aggressive but still flows well with the body lines.
Audi is offering a 11 colors right from the start which puts BMW's offerings to shame. If they put this interior in the facelift Q7 I might reconsider my purchase next year.

Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I think its very sexy and I do own a 2016 Audi A7 so I may be biased but yes this Q8 has plenty of cool options and colors that put the BMW to shame.. I am considering this. The interior touch screen MMI is amazing, I played with one at an event.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

The Q8 is more like the X6, more a fat wagon than an SUV. lower like a car than suv.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Agreed... the Q8 does look good. Love the interior. Similar to Range Rover sports new interior.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I'd be open to the Q8
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
BH1969
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

I am looking at both. I think the Q8 looks quite nice in the pictures and videos. I also see it more as a competitor to the X5 since it has similar dimensions and not the radical slope of the rear that the X6 has. Kind of a cross between the X5/X6. Would like to see the builder for the Q8 but you can find the order guide and prices. With the Prestige package, it is very comparable to the X5 loaded price, so may come down to discounts to see what is what, with some trade-offs on both sides.

Still not sure if I would like the day to day use of the touchscreens in the Q8, but it does look nice. My wife thinks the X5 interior, when you look at it head on, looks like Darth Vader.

Really need to be able to sit in these cars and drive them to see what I like the best, but I will drive the Q8, along with the Cayenne, and not worry about the GLE. The Q& is out for me as I don't want a car that has 3 rows at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I love the look of the Q8 but wonder what Audi will do for a little better engine to match the new BMW 6. I find the Q7 to drive nice, but not as athletic. Hope they fix that with the Q8.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #8
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I love the look of the Q8 but wonder what Audi will do for a little better engine to match the new BMW 6. I find the Q7 to drive nice, but not as athletic. Hope they fix that with the Q8.
Thats interesting because I found the latest Q7 with standard suspension to be more planted and to handle much better with far less body roll and bounce then my 2015 X5d with dynamic dampers... Eitherway the Q8 will have low center of gravity so it will help alot.

Correction to above, I love the BMW I6 and the supercharger V6 in my A7 but you are right, the Q7 engine needs more grunt for that heavy SuV.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:19 PM   #9
CBx540i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11BoxsterSpyder

Really think they did a great job striking the balance between an SUV and SUV coupe, or whatever they call this niche. Like the stance and proportions. I ordered a G05, after having seen some solid spy shots of the Q8. I've owned 3 audis in a row, never a BMW, so part of this was variety for me. I will say that historically, Audi's haven't been awesome dynamically. Even my current S6 is kind of numb in steering and responsiveness. It's really fast and luxurious, and build quality is amazing. Fun? not so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
The Q8 only looks good in a few of the colors they offer. That black grill with certain colors looks like a gaping mouth.
      10-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
The Q8 only looks good in a few of the colors they offer. That black grill with certain colors looks like a gaping mouth.
Interesting comment because the main compliant I've read about the G05 is the "huge grille".
In comparison to the Q8 it's smaller IMO. But the colors of the grill compliment the x5 better than the colors of the Q8. Assuming the all black out grill on the Q8 is for S line and up, the alternative grill with the grey outline just look tacky with certain colors.
      10-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #12
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Just not feeling the Q8 - or any Audi SUV in their current line up. And I am spoiled with my V8 F15, so I'm impatiently waiting for the M50i...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINISI View Post
Has anyone cross-shopped the Audi Q8?
It's slightly more expensive but close enough to consider.
I seriously considered the Q8 before placing my order for a g05 40i on Wednesday. My last four German cars have all been Audis, but the quality and reliability I've personally experienced has progressively gotten worse with each successive purchase in the past.

Building a similarly equipped Q8 to my built X5 was roughly $8k more expensive, sticker to sticker. I also shopped the 2019 Cayenne, Range Rover Velar and Sport, and ultimately decided to make the switch to BMW. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
BH1969
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I seriously considered the Q8 before placing my order for a g05 40i on Wednesday. My last four German cars have all been Audis, but the quality and reliability I've personally experienced has progressively gotten worse with each successive purchase in the past.

Building a similarly equipped Q8 to my built X5 was roughly $8k more expensive, sticker to sticker. I also shopped the 2019 Cayenne, Range Rover Velar and Sport, and ultimately decided to make the switch to BMW. Fingers crossed!
I built an equivalent Q8 and got very close to the X5 price. My big difference was knowing what the standard leather felt like in the Audi as opposed to the Luxury Package upgrades, which I just will need to see for myself. The quality issues have been my cause of concern for Audi and Range Rover. I own an X3 and have owned an M6 in the past and have had very good luck with the quality and when there are issues, BMW is very good at taking care of them. I have heard issues in dealing with Audi, especially in Charlotte.

I am from Charlotte also. Did you order through Hendrick? My experience is Hendrick in Charlotte doesn't deal as much and was thinking of doing the performance delivery since Spartanburg is so close and shopping around more if I get the X5. Also notice that markets such as Atlanta deal more on the Audis. Audi of Charlotte doesn't seem to work with you as much. If you ordered through Hendrick, what did you negotiate off MSRP?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1969 View Post
Did you order through Hendrick? My experience is Hendrick in Charlotte doesn't deal as much and was thinking of doing the performance delivery since Spartanburg is so close and shopping around more if I get the X5. Also notice that markets such as Atlanta deal more on the Audis. Audi of Charlotte doesn't seem to work with you as much. If you ordered through Hendrick, what did you negotiate off MSRP?
I did not order through Hendrick. I went there on Wednesday with intentions of perhaps doing so, but they simply didn't express any real interest in earning my business. When the CA did not do what I asked him to do, my decision was further justified. I shopped the Carolinas as well as Atlanta, as I've historically fared very well purchasing north of Atlanta.

I ended up ordering from a dealership in North Carolina that was willing to beat the deal I had negotiated in Georgia. I ended up with 6% discount off MSRP and clean wholesale for my trade. Very happy with my decision. I was also able to have an unsold allocation in status 112 modified, so I was able to get a week 44 build.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by ILM_X5; 10-05-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
BH1969
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I did not order through Hendrick. I went there on Wednesday with intentions of perhaps doing so, but they simply didn't express any real interest in earning my business. When the CA did not do what I asked him to do, my decision was further justified. I shopped the Carolinas as well as Atlanta, as I've historically fared very well purchasing north of Atlanta.

I ended up ordering from a dealership in North Carolina that was willing to beat the deal I had negotiated in Georgia. I ended up with 6% discount off MSRP and clean wholesale for my trade. Very happy with my decision. I was also able to have an unsold allocation in status 112 modified, so I was able to get a week 44 build.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Many thanks. I may ping you in the next couple of months to see where you were quoted and ordered once I see the X5 and Q8 and make my final decision. Charlotte is a great place to live, but flight prices from CLT and buying new cars are above other places. Again thanks.
Appreciate 0