E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Really worried about what I found.

09-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Rubber8er
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9o335iMsportPpK

Garage List
Really worried about what I found.

Hey guys,

Can anyone identify what appears to be a ground strap? Its barely attached as you can see in the pics. I need to know the nut size or bolt size it takes. Looked on realoem and others and no dice

Its on the drivers side about mid engine low close to the oil pan attached to the block. I believe its the engine harness ground. But from what I've researched a torx bolt holds the engine ground harness in place. Maybe this bolt is broken or the cable isn't attached and just laying on top of the bolt.

Its not the chassis/engine ground I can see that fine closer back towards the fire wall.

I'm gonna get her jacked up in the air and take the intake manifold off if I have to. This half ass stuff drives me nuts. I'm glad I found it but, I really need to know the proper way to reattach it or relocate it. Thanks Gonna take some better pics asap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
Rubber8er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a better pic and the stud/bolt this cable hooks to is broken, I think it would be best for me to relocate it vs fighting to get it out of the block. Any Ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Rubber8er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There is a L-Bracket attached to the cable also. This really pisses me off the car is still under warranty and the previous owner only took it to dealerships down in Miami. Makes me wonder what else is Jerry rigged!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

That isn't something Jerry rigged. That is just a broken off trivial bolt.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Rubber8er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the lead Feuer, I've never heard of the Trivial bolt I'll do a search for it. The eyelet is pretty stationary, I'm trying to follow it back but the intake is in the way. I'm gonna feel like a idoit if this isn't a ground strap and just some stationary bracket or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
Rubber8er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok I feel much better now. Looks like it's just a two bolt mounting bracket for the harness. How it broke who knows. Doesn't look like anything to be to concerned with. I'll keep a eye on it. And tackle it when the intake comes off.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

The other poster is right, its not a hack job and no one messed with it. Bolts like that break all the time for a multitude of reasons. It happens. When you start digging into your car more and more you're inevitably going to find stuff thats worn or broken, hell you're going to break some things yourself. Its even going to happn at the most professional and perfect of shops too.

This is a 30 minute fix you can do yourself. Expecially considering the inside of your engine bay is prestine and rust free.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      10-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
The other poster is right, its not a hack job and no one messed with it. Bolts like that break all the time for a multitude of reasons. It happens. When you start digging into your car more and more you're inevitably going to find stuff thats worn or broken, hell you're going to break some things yourself. Its even going to happn at the most professional and perfect of shops too.

This is a 30 minute fix you can do yourself. Expecially considering the inside of your engine bay is prestine and rust free.
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0