THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Catted Downpipes

09-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Catted Downpipes

Curious if anyone has installed a catted downpipe and what they think. I have been trying to decide between the ER and VRSF, big price difference and they seem to be a similar product.

I have jb4 and a dinan midpipe. I understand I will get more power from a downpipe but I really don't feel the need to make the car much louder, why I'm interested in a catted downpipe vs no cat.

Any insight is always appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

I have a catted akrapovic dp and love it. Great sound, performance gains and no cel.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI688.50
      09-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scadam View Post
I have a catted akrapovic dp and love it. Great sound, performance gains and no cel.
this might be a stupid question, but how do you pass inspection? also, do you remove it every time you take it in to the dealer?
thanks
      09-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
this might be a stupid question, but how do you pass inspection? also, do you remove it every time you take it in to the dealer?
thanks
it,s catted, so i think he does not have to change it for inspection .
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
it,s catted, so i think he does not have to change it for inspection .
pretty sure, depending on the state, you can no displace Cats, BUT, i know very little about it.
I thought all after market downpipes were not street legal, is this true? I feel like everytime someone has posted about the catted downpipe they put on their BMr, and I ask if it is street legal, the response is NO, .... am I wrong?
      09-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

Quote:
pretty sure, depending on the state, you can no displace Cats, BUT, i know very little about it.
I thought all after market downpipes were not street legal, is this true? I feel like everytime someone has posted about the catted downpipe they put on their BMr, and I ask if it is street legal, the response is NO, .... am I wrong?
I don’t remove it since it is still within epa regulation. Now cattless is another story, those are for off-road use only and will not pass emissions. Btw, Bmw is the one that installed my dp. It’s to my understanding that it is street legal.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scadam View Post
I don’t remove it since it is still within epa regulation. Now cattless is another story, those are for off-road use only and will not pass emissions. Btw, Bmw is the one that installed my dp. It’s to my understanding that it is street legal.
I thought the CAT is in the downpipe, which then removing the original CAT, or in a sense displacing the CAT, which I believe in some states, would cause it to not be street legal, .... Like putting long tube headers on a vehicle, which displaces the CATs, making it no longer street legal, .... but, I must say, I am not 100% suer about any of that
      09-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

Quote:
I thought the CAT is in the downpipe, which then removing the original CAT, or in a sense displacing the CAT, which I believe in some states, would cause it to not be street legal, .... Like putting long tube headers on a vehicle, which displaces the CATs, making it no longer street legal, .... but, I must say, I am not 100% suer about any of that
Yes the cat is located in the dp but some aftermarket companies make a low cell count of 200-300 for their catted dp’s. That’s the route I choose, therefore making it street legal as far as emissions are concerned. Had I went with a cattless dp, it would not pass emissions and would be for off-road use only. I’m sure this info will vary from state to state though.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      11-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

installed today my wagner 200 cell hjs downpipe for my m240i , the car now sounds how it should be, when removing first the midpipe the sound increase was around 5% , but now with the downpipe i think 20% more. throttle respons ( changed my jb4 to map 2 ) is much better, car is running smooth , feeling the extra hp also
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
ivegotklas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Pa follows the same CARB rules as California. I'd be willing to be that some cars in our state that have aftermarket DPs don't pass. The ones that do probably shouldn't have. I mean everyone knows a guy right!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotklas View Post
Quote:
Pa follows the same CARB rules as California. I'd be willing to be that some cars in our state that have aftermarket DPs don't pass. The ones that do probably shouldn't have. I mean everyone knows a guy right!!
We will find out next September if mine passes, ..... the installer said it will pass a visual, that it will pass the ODB, and he also added if he hooked a sniffer up, it would, stating "Sh:t, these new cars run so clean now, you could straight pipe it, and it would pass the sniffer test"
PS: he is a state inspection station
      11-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
ivegotklas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
We will find out next September if mine passes, ..... the installer said it will pass a visual, that it will pass the ODB, and he also added if he hooked a sniffer up, it would, stating "Sh:t, these new cars run so clean now, you could straight pipe it, and it would pass the sniffer test"
PS: he is a state inspection station
Keep us up-dated. I work with a guy who has a straight piped 97 Camaro. I don't know what Greensburg garage he takes it too. But like I said someone always knows a guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph.Darco View Post
Curious if anyone has installed a catted downpipe and what they think. I have been trying to decide between the ER and VRSF, big price difference and they seem to be a similar product.

I have jb4 and a dinan midpipe. I understand I will get more power from a downpipe but I really don't feel the need to make the car much louder, why I'm interested in a catted downpipe vs no cat.

Any insight is always appreciated.
Wagner uses Euro 6 cats, very slim chance of CEL even if you do not have a tune.
If you do not wish to spend $950 on the downpipe, get VRSF

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Running VRSF catted for roughly a month now, driving hard, ....... no CEL, no smell, ....... LOuD, crisp and clean!