F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 2 Series Grand Tourer
Studio RSR

09-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

2 Series Grand Tourer

Arrived in Menorca today, booked a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or equivalent from Budget (who use Avis) and ended up as per title.

Plus points:

Familiar BMW UI so easy to set up and sort phone/spotify etc, although not sure I care about the new idrive.
Fitted all our luggage, which is a fair bit with a little un!
It's not a Shitroen.

Negative points:

It's shit. Totally shit. Utterly shit. Looks like shit. And to top it off, drivers area is sooo cramped and to get the seat right and be able to see all the cluster is nigh on impossible. It's an utterly rubbish car and reaffirms my thoughts that it's a market BMW should have left alone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Gosh! That good, eh!
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm not picking up if you like it or not?
      09-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Arrived in Menorca today, booked a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or equivalent from Budget (who use Avis) and ended up as per title.

Plus points:

Familiar BMW UI so easy to set up and sort phone/spotify etc, although not sure I care about the new idrive.
Fitted all our luggage, which is a fair bit with a little un!
It's not a Shitroen.

Negative points:

It's shit. Totally shit. Utterly shit. Looks like shit. And to top it off, drivers area is sooo cramped and to get the seat right and be able to see all the cluster is nigh on impossible. It's an utterly rubbish car and reaffirms my thoughts that it's a market BMW should have left alone.
[QUOTE=SkyJawa;23755715]

"It's shit. Totally shit. Utterly shit. Looks like shit."

That sounds shit mate

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I’ve driven one and didn’t really like it, I was given a B class as my last hire car, I didn’t even know that they existed, I liked it.

Maybe I had no expectations...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Is it shit then?
Plus point your on hols
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

So do you like it or not?

Could be worse. Looks like the panels are all straight which is rare in Menorca
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I had the 2 Active Tourer for a day, and they’re shitting shitty shit too!
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Correct. They're total shit. I had one as a loaner from the dealer about a year ago and couldn't wait for every journey to end.

Do the world a favour and push it off a cliff.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I had one as a loaner for the day, perfectly acceptable for day to day driving felt not unlike most other cooking 1/2/3 series BMWs if I'm honest.

I guess a M/5/6/7/8 user would be disappointed but it's just a standard BM like many others.
      09-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I had one as a loaner for the day, perfectly acceptable for day to day driving felt not unlike most other cooking 1/2/3 series BMWs if I'm honest.

I guess a M/5/6/7/8 user would be disappointed but it's just a standard BM like many others.
But they’re fwd, transverse engined & don’t have the ZF gearbox, which all mounts up to a big heap of shit!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:16 AM   #12
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:

But they're fwd, transverse engined & don't have the ZF gearbox, which all mounts up to a big heap of shit!
I've not driven one, but my expectation would be in line with what Wills said. I'm amazed if BMW have managed to make something that's far off the market norm and that different to similarly priced BMWs.

Transverse makes no difference to the driving experience, granted FWD does and that is what transverse brings. But in a low powered 1/2/3 you are not feeling RWD anyway and don't have the power to especially corrupt the steering if switched to FWD. Steering is rubbish anyway on cooking BMWs.

ZF - yes, that would be a big miss.

Guess I need to drive one

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #13
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Ok to clear it up as I think my first post wasn’t clear enough, I don’t like it!

Lol at straight panels, give it time it’s only done 3k miles, rear bumper is already chipped to fook though! There are some small cliffs nearby I could be tempted!

Within a couple of miles I instantly disliked the stopstart and gearbox moving off from a standstill, it is not smooth at all. Oh and shitty electric handbrake that just seems clunky.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
"All four cylinder models get two tailpipes" so 220i gets 340i style exhaust. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But they're fwd, transverse engined & don't have the ZF gearbox, which all mounts up to a big heap of shit!
I've not driven one, but my expectation would be in line with what Wills said. I'm amazed if BMW have managed to make something that's far off the market norm and that different to similarly priced BMWs.

Transverse makes no difference to the driving experience, granted FWD does and that is what transverse brings. But in a low powered 1/2/3 you are not feeling RWD anyway and don't have the power to especially corrupt the steering if switched to FWD. Steering is rubbish anyway on cooking BMWs.

Honestly they are terrible, you really don't need to drive one! Poor handling, poor ride comfort, slow, steering wheel doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels and masses of tyre roar!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 03:45 AM   #16
ep22jg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

I’m with Wills2 on this one

My mother has one and for her requirements, it perfect.
Yes, it’s not a car I ( or anybody on this forum) would buy, but it’s competitive in its class.

As for the drive/handling, although it’s got a heavier taller body, it’s a Mini underneath.
The 3 cylinder engine is good too!
      09-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #17
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

We are all sitting here passing judgement on a car we will never buy for ourselves and people say it's shit - more like no shit, Sherlock
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

I’ve driven one at the Millbrok test centre. Company Car in Action.
It was OKish, if you need to carry a lot of stuff in the boot.
An alternative to a Nissan Juke/ SUV type of vehicle.
Not a drivers car, but not everybody wants that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Honestly they are terrible, you really don't need to drive one! Poor handling, poor ride comfort, slow, steering wheel doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels and masses of tyre roar!
How does it compare with your Qashqai?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:02 AM   #20
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
"All four cylinder models get two tailpipes" so 220i gets 340i style exhaust. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.
They have to make something good about the car
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Qashqai handling, refinement and steering feel are all better, but obviously the BMW interior is nicer and they're faster as we only have the 1.2 petrol.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #22
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Qashqai handling, refinement and steering feel are all better, but obviously the BMW interior is nicer and they're faster as we only have the 1.2 petrol.
Interesting, cheers poor show by bmw on the refinement front - run flats not helping as usual, I guess.

Appreciate 0