BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Question about portable SSD configuration

09-21-2018, 07:25 AM   #1
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Question about portable SSD configuration

I should be getting my F90 in a few weeks. I have the B&W and read that it plays flac files. I picked up a Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I have a few questions:

1. Should I format it to exFAT?
2. Should I create folders or just dump all my music files onto the main directory and let the car sort things out using the metadata of each file?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
I should be getting my F90 in a few weeks. I have the B&W and read that it plays flac files. I picked up a Samsung T5 1TB SSD. I have a few questions:

1. Should I format it to exFAT?
2. Should I create folders or just dump all my music files onto the main directory and let the car sort things out using the metadata of each file?
You can do exFAT or NTFS.

I do folders (artist, then albums in subfolders under artist) as that's how my collection is elsewhere. I suspect iDrive could sort it out by metadata, but that assumes you have good metadata for everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
saxguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
You can do exFAT or NTFS.

I do folders (artist, then albums in subfolders under artist) as that's how my collection is elsewhere. I suspect iDrive could sort it out by metadata, but that assumes you have good metadata for everything.
That would actually be easiest, as my NAS drive is set up that way and I could simply drag and drop the folders onto the SSD.
Appreciate 0