BimmerSFo
BimmerSF
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: BMWs ONLY

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
WANTED: a bmw i3 key replacement

Hi, I lost my key and I need to get a key from a dealer direct for my vin number

I know there is a dealer on here that does very good discounts so I am hopping they will this this ad and let me know.

looking for a replacement key for i3s with comfort access - will buy asap programmed to my VIN

thank you
'17 i3 ///'15 F02 B7///'14 i3 ///'15 F85 x5M///'15 F15 x5 50///'03 E39 540i///'08 E70 X5 4.8///'06 E60 550i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
kpblade
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i e39, 335i e93, M550i G30

This is a copy from Bi...fest

Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
View My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
For anyone reading this thread, if you are in california, there is a special phone number you can call on BMWs website where you can get an additional keyfob fairly reasonably. I believe it is still sent to the dealer in california closest to you, and suspect there is likely some legal reason why BMW is doing this (they wouldnt otherwise).

https://www.bmwusa.com/contact-us/key-replacement.html

Ok.... "taking one for the team" I called the california specific number and pretended I needed a key. I AM in california so this is relevant information for me, but also feel it might be relevant for others.

1. The cost for a comfort access key for a california resident is $250. Non comfort access is $150 ( I did not get costs for display key as I felt they might start asking for vin numbers etc, and neither of my BMWs use the display key).

2. Key comes directly from BMW distributor, and is normally sent to the closest dealership for pick up. It CAN be sent directly to you but then you need to scan a copy of your license and registration (likely proving california registration and license).

3. Comfort access features still need to be programmed by the dealership per the rep. Cant hold it to the steering colum and program it. Key IS programmed to your vin from the factory so will start your car, and unlock it, but the comfort access needs to be programmed in a key programming thing at the dealership (per the rep).

4. This program through BMW is only for california because there is a california law stating they have to offer it here (as I suspected).

Hope this info helps someone.
Appreciate 0