F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is this sound? Loud noise from braking
ARMA SPEED

09-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i x drive, M-Sport.

Exclamation What is this sound? Loud noise from braking

https://youtu.be/IqS1JoZQFrs

Brought it into my mechanic and he said its normal but my friends F30 doesn't make this sound.
Bought the car 2 weeks ago and didn't realize it at the dealership so I have no idea what it could be.
The car is a 2013 328i X-Drive

Last edited by BlvckSaint; 09-14-2018 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
KOWTOWN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Is it that drone sound after you lift your foot off the brake? Have you checked your fluid?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

In what context is it making that drone, speed, braking effort, etc.

Just looking and listening to the video, looks like very light braking. The sound you can sometimes 'deliberately' make, letting the car creep on the brakes, down a slope. How do I know?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWTOWN View Post
Is it that drone sound after you lift your foot off the brake? Have you checked your fluid?
I haven't checked the fluids yet, ill check and update you.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In what context is it making that drone, speed, braking effort, etc.

Just looking and listening to the video, looks like very light braking. The sound you can sometimes 'deliberately' make, letting the car creep on the brakes, down a slope. How do I know?
Breaking, I happens with very very light breaking. It does it no matter what, if i get off the breaks fast it does it slightly and it drags out like in the video when im creeping forwards or backwards in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
KOWTOWN
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like it's groaning when you lift off the pedal. There are cars that technically do that for some odd reason. Not really sure what the remedy is
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvckSaint View Post
Breaking, I happens with very very light breaking. It does it no matter what, if i get off the breaks fast it does it slightly and it drags out like in the video when im creeping forwards or backwards in the car.
"It does it no matter what..." is the concerning bit. I mentioned my 'forced' example, but it doesn't "just do it", it is on demand.

I'm suspicious of a slightly sticking calliper. Or the brake pad assemblies are in need of removing and cleaning/greasing, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
EVOMAN
Rep
Drives: 328i

I Have The Same Damm Problem!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOMAN View Post
I Have The Same Damm Problem!!!!
Did you ever figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Break fluid is fine. Tried the 40-0 break test to see if it was the rotors that needed a little breaking in and when you slam on the breaks it feels like there might be something on one of the rotors and they creek hella loud
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
"It does it no matter what..." is the concerning bit. I mentioned my 'forced' example, but it doesn't "just do it", it is on demand.

I'm suspicious of a slightly sticking calliper. Or the brake pad assemblies are in need of removing and cleaning/greasing, etc.
I'll bring it back in on Monday to get checked again. It's the only thing really bothering me
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
KOWTOWN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update: Break fluid is fine. Tried the 40-0 break test to see if it was the rotors that needed a little breaking in and when you slam on the breaks it feels like there might be something on one of the rotors and they creek hella loud
Ya, this sounds like something isn't right with the caliper/pads/rotor. Pull off the wheel and see if something stands out to you. See if you can have someone outside the car see where the noise is actually originating from
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #13
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya, this sounds like something isn't right with the caliper/pads/rotor. Pull off the wheel and see if something stands out to you. See if you can have someone outside the car see where the noise is actually originating from
Will definitely be doing that when i get off of work. I'll update you then
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #14
BlvckSaint
BlvckSaint
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Update: Did the whole 40-0mph break test a couple times on the way home. Breaks no longer make the sound as much but now the breaks screech when slowing down. My theory is that the dealership did put new breaks on(probably some cheap breaks) and it needs to be broken in?

Will update again if the problem persist
Appreciate 0