E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lane Change Ticket 85 MPH

03-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Lane Change Ticket 85 MPH

Hey people,

I'm pissed, just got a ticket on the highway for speeding and unsafe lane change , just cause i cut in front of a bus without my blinker, such BS! I'm lucky he gave me a warning for speeding and only wrote up the lane change. My question is, He wrote down that I was doing 85 mph, which I was, but don't BMW speedometers show more than what you are driving, so he should have wrote down like 80 right?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
dom1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

You are luck that you only got a warning. Some cops write tickets based on the car you drive. In my previous car, a Pontiac, I always got a ticket when it was brand new. Then when it didn't look new, but in OK shape, I always got warnings. Then when it was old and full of rust, it was like they were waiting for me to do something. In my wife Expedition, I always get warnings, maybe cause I'm driving a soccer mom car. Now I don't know what to expect in my E90.
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
never assume the speedometer is slower then it is. not every car is the same. maybe yours could be on the dot or faster a little. lucky you didnt get the speeding ticket. it would've been a double whammy for you.

btw: so many los angeles e90er, how come you guys dont come out to the meets? i think we can get an easy 25 e90 at the meet if people participate.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I always get upset when I get a ticket even if it is my fault.

Then again, I guess you should be grateful he didn't write you up for speeding. He was being nice to you and sending a message at the same time.

See if you can go to driving school to get rid of the ticket and points. It will save you on car insurance.
      03-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
kickpoint
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

I can imagine that a BMW speedo is essentialy inaccurate. I'm sure if it said 85, you were doing 85. However, if he gave you a warning, it's likely becuase he wasn't sure. As far as the lane change, check with your state driving laws, but in MD, the law actually states that the driver can qualify the safety of the change. In other words, if you feel it was safe, then tell the judge and you should be good to go. Don't say anything about the blinker and deny the speed. Ultimately without anyone elses testimony, radar, witness or otherwise, it your word against the cop, and they have the burden of proof.

Not guilty.

Check with your lawyer but you should be safe. Lucky that is. Unsafe lane change, negelgent driving, these unsubstantiated charges (no accident) should never get ticketed. It had to be a rookie cop.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: F20 M140

Hey! I thought the cop was nice for not writting the speeding ticket also. I thought the failure to turn on signal light would be cheaper... But he gave u the expensive ticket!! The speeding ticket could be around 120-150 but the signal ticket is 161$! I know it because I have the same ticket. My court date is this coming friday 24th. Luckily the cop said he was gonna hook me up and dismiss me, he told me to plead not guilty.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Good. People who don't signal need to be written up.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep

hey shimshim screw you!! you gonna get one too trust me!! you'll see! =P
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep

WTF, people who can't DRIVE! should be written up (i.e. those who cause traffic!!)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No, I won't.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #11
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko
WTF, people who can't DRIVE! should be written up (i.e. those who cause traffic!!)
People who don't signal, cut people off, and cause accidents cause traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
People who don't signal, cut people off, and cause accidents cause traffic.
thats u!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep

No! People who drive like sissies cause traffic!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I ever see you on the road, I will t-bone you because I don't want to be a sissy.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #15
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep
Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

You also said you cut in front of a bus. I think that may be the reason why you could have received the lane change violation. Furthermore, you were traveling above the speed limit (85) and you didn't signal which could have added to the problem.

Accept the fact you were at fault for the ticket and pay the fine, do traffic school, get fine reduced etc... Of course we all get angry for getting caught but it is not a crap ticket. You deserved it and when I speed and get pulled over I deserve a ticket as well. I just say "Thank You" and continue on my way.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
JB 330ci
Resident "Spook"
Rep
Drives: 03 330ci, 08 335i, 08 A5,

Quote:
People who weave through traffic at triple digit speeds cause accidents which cause traffic.

Traffic only happens when a high volume of vehicles use a road which is not trafficable at said volume of traffic. You can have heavy traffic going at 85 90mph (Atlanta I-285) and have no problems and you can have low traffic traveling at 65mph (I-20 Downtown Atlanta) and run into a traffic jam.

Traffic is really not the problem as long as it is moving...jams or "stop-n-go" traffic is what everyone hates.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #17
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Hey guys, let's wake up here.

The cars we drive were made
FOR HIGH SPEED HIGHWAYS IN GERMANY.
Yes, this is a different country, but if more people would just drive with a little bit......
....yes JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE ASSERTIVENESS, then there would be no need for those of us that would like nothing
more than to be on our merry little way, to impose upon getting in front of someone DRAGGING HIS/HER ASS in the left lane.

I am aware of the fact that buses can sometimes go slower than BMWs, but they really have no need to be in the left lane just because idiot lawmakers in the U.S. gave them the right to be in the left lane & obstruct traffic whenever they feel like it.

Those vehicles and others that fall into this category are PART OF THE PROBLEM, they are not the solution. If anything, we here in the U.S. need to be more attentive, because our roadways SUCK and it is critical to other drivers on the road that everyone be 110% courteous to those that would encourage the free-flow of traffic, regardless of speed.

Punishing speeders is the job of cops, not common citizens.....so attempting that on your own will not help the highway problems that we have here in the very least. And the tickets are BULLSHIT...they are just an excuse to STEAL money from taxpayers that never gets put to proper use anyway...which is to make our roadways more like those in Europe. We still have horrible potholes and roads that are not equipped in general to handle the amount of traffic for the surrounding population.

End of rant.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 11:51 PM   #18
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep

Very well said RichReg. I agree a hundred percent
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #19
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg

Yes, this is a different country, but if more people would just drive with a little bit......
....yes JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE ASSERTIVENESS, then there would be no need for those of us that would like nothing
more than to be on our merry little way, to impose upon getting in front of someone DRAGGING HIS/HER ASS in the left lane.

I am aware of the fact that buses can sometimes go slower than BMWs, but they really have no need to be in the left lane just because idiot lawmakers in the U.S. gave them the right to be in the left lane & obstruct traffic whenever they feel like it.

Those vehicles and others that fall into this category are PART OF THE PROBLEM, they are not the solution. If anything, we here in the U.S. need to be more attentive, because our roadways SUCK and it is critical to other drivers on the road that everyone be 110% courteous to those that would encourage the free-flow of traffic, regardless of speed.

Punishing speeders is the job of cops, not common citizens.....so attempting that on your own will not help the highway problems that we have here in the very least. And the tickets are BULLSHIT...they are just an excuse to STEAL money from taxpayers that never gets put to proper use anyway...which is to make our roadways more like those in Europe. We still have horrible potholes and roads that are not equipped in general to handle the amount of traffic for the surrounding population.

End of rant.
That has nothing to do with not signaling.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #20
ThreeBimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325 xi

I can't freakin' stand it when people don't use their blinker. It drives me insane. Is it that friggen hard to hit the stalk to turn your blinker on?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:04 AM   #21
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg

End of rant.
Look at how easy it is to get a driving license in the U.S. Try getting one in Germany. I think we need better driver instruction and testing.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 12:05 AM   #22
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

So when you cut off a bus, and he has to slam on his brakes, and then the guy behind him has to hit the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes, and the guy behind him hits the brakes....

You don't think you cause traffic when you drive like an idiot?
Appreciate 0