BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

New to the X5, could use some guidance.

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the X5 world and I'm looking for some help. We've had Jeep Grand Cherokees for the last 10 years, but I think we've finally outgrown them. We looked long and hard at the RR Sport, but everywhere I turned I kept hearing that they are a reliability nightmare. With 2 young kids I can't be going back and forth to the shop on a regular basis. The Q7 doesn't do it for me and I am not old enough to drive a Mercedes so we're onto the X5.

I know all the in's and out's with JGC's, but diving into the X5 world feels like going on vacation to a new place for the first time; you can do all the research in the world, but you know you're still going to miss out on something. With that said I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you could answer for me regarding the 2019 X5.

1. What are the major differences b/w the 40i and the 50i besides the V-8 engine? What exactly am I paying $15k for and is it worth it?

2. What accessories/options are must haves?

3. Can I live with DHP? Seems like I'll have to if I choose the 40i

4. I'm a big (loud) music person. The BW upgrade seems amazing, but at $3500-$4200 it also seems absurd...will I be happy the standard sound system?

5. We are dog people and they're often in the car...does BMW off a dog grate that keeps the dogs in the back and if so is it solid without any rattling?

6. What exactly does the 'leather credit' I've read about cover? Can I pretty much upgrade to the 'extended leather package' for no additional charge on either the 40i or 50i?

7. Seems like I can expect about $3k off msrp...sound right?

8. Does anyone have a solid guess at the cost of the M40i when it gets released?

That should be all for now. Hope you can help, and thanks in advance,

Jason
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
jbx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 XDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the X5 world and I'm looking for some help. We've had Jeep Grand Cherokees for the last 10 years, but I think we've finally outgrown them. We looked long and hard at the RR Sport, but everywhere I turned I kept hearing that they are a reliability nightmare. With 2 young kids I can't be going back and forth to the shop on a regular basis. The Q7 doesn't do it for me and I am not old enough to drive a Mercedes so we're onto the X5.

I know all the in's and out's with JGC's, but diving into the X5 world feels like going on vacation to a new place for the first time; you can do all the research in the world, but you know you're still going to miss out on something. With that said I have a few questions I'm hoping some of you could answer for me regarding the 2019 X5.

1. What are the major differences b/w the 40i and the 50i besides the V-8 engine? What exactly am I paying $15k for and is it worth it?

4. I'm a big (loud) music person. The BW upgrade seems amazing, but at $3500-$4200 it also seems absurd...will I be happy the standard sound system?

5. We are dog people and they're often in the car...does BMW off a dog grate that keeps the dogs in the back and if so is it solid without any rattling?

6. What exactly does the 'leather credit' I've read about cover? Can I pretty much upgrade to the 'extended leather package' for no additional charge on either the 40i or 50i?

8. Does anyone have a solid guess at the cost of the M40i when it gets released?

Jason
Having owned both engines in every generation X5 ever (except the F15 when I decided the v8 was no longer worth the extra $) I can probably help answer your questions. My g05 is ordered for week 43 and will be my 7th X5 besides having had multiple 3s/5s/and a 740i as well as a first week of launch 640i GranCoupe over the last 24 years.

1. Probably not worth the extra $ if you are used to the performance of your JGC the 40i will blow that away.

2. For me M Sport is not negotiable as are premium, comfort, and executive package are minimum requirements always. Anything else over is nice. 21” wheels are a must.

3. Unless you drive with and without DHP back-to-back you’d probably not know or notice. Once you do, you probably will always prefer to have it.

4. The standard audio is very good. HK used to be too bass-y but now it’s also very good. The BW is way overpriced and overrated in my personal humble opinion.

5. Clueless about dog crates

6. The leather credit is temporary. It exists while sensatec is unavailable. It will disappear shortly.

7. You should join the BMW club of North America and you can get back another 1000. 3000 off list is the bare minimum I would accept. I frequently have gotten more.

8. I think you mean the M50i. There won’t be an M40i in the X5 unfortunately. It will likely be a small amount of difference between the current XDrive50i unless they suddenly decide to make all of the options standard which is highly unlikely.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Hello everyone,

Jason
There will be no m40i. The 50i will be replaced by M50i in about a year with a much more powerful engine so if you are considering 50i consider waiting. If you do decide go get 50i it seems to be the only way to get the best suspension system (DHP With m adaptive pro and integral steering). The 40i cannot get it but since the 40i is a lot lighter maybe it's still good enough since it's more powerful than the old 35i. People here are lamenting the lack of this suspension on 40i but truth is no one has any idea what the 40i with air suspension and active steering will be like to drive and maybe it will be better than the old f15 35i with DHP. We won't know until the demo cars are at dealerships since no one has driven these cars.

Extended Merino leather is not a cheap upgrade. You can use the online configurator to see prices but I think it's cheaper on the 50i than on 40i.

My personal take is either get a loaded 40i or wait for M50i.

Regarding RR sport the interior is nice but dated. I recently rented a velar for 3 day weekend and drove the English countryside and I wish I had my F15 instead. X5 is just a sportier car and the interior with merino extended dash leather is just as nicer of a place to be and the tech with live cockpit is about equivalent I think.

If u want better tech and better drive and cans spend a. It more get a cayenne. It's no looker outside but the interior is way better and the suv is more sportier with the expensive suspension upgrades.

I have a very expensive 20k plus stereo at home and HK is fine at medium volumes. At high volumes it's not great. Base stereo is total shit unless you don't listen to music and only listen to talk shows. BW is worth it if you get custom stereo upgrades with JL audio subwoofers. Else hk is probably fine.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
maze446
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

The only things I would add to the above are as follows:

1. Once you option the car up, the effective price difference between the 40i and 50i comes down to about $10K. I went with the 50i because I've never had a V8 X5 and wanted to have that experience.

2. Options are a bit of a personal preference. For me, I tend to take a value approach, meaning I won't get an option unless I think I'm actually going to get some good use out of it or it will make my life easier (exceptions on my current order are the M Sport Brakes and Laserlights -- I just got those because I thought they looked cool). That being said, there is also nothing wrong with loading a car up with everything just because you are the type of person that wants everything (budget permitting of course). Full disclosure, I've already revised my order 5 times since submitting it about 3 weeks ago.

5. Also know nothing about dog crates, but perhaps the luggage package might be a worthwhile option for you. It has rubber skids on the floor of the trunk that inflate (or pop up) to prevent things from moving around.

7. For the BMWCCA rebate, you used to need to be a member for at least a year, but now you can qualify for the rebate immediately by purchasing a 3-year membership ($134 for a $1000 rebate is a no brainer).
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Great info guys, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

For someone new to BMW, I’d like to add a comment about tires. Earlier in this thread, 21” or larger wheels were recommended. Keep in mind that BMW includes summer performance tires on all wheels over 20”. I see from your provided info that you live in the Northeast and these tires are unsafe for year-round use in cold weather climates. They must be swapped out for winter (or all-season) tires.

Theoretically, your BMW client advisor would tell you this, but I’ve seen people post on this and other forums who are unaware of the tire differences. They have put themselves and others at risk. Please ask here if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
fxoffroad
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 X3/'18 i3s/'12 X5/'03 Z8

I would recommend calling BMW directly and getting some of your questions answered by staff. Based on my experience, they are great at answering questions to help you make the best decision/build for your specific needs.

https://www.bmwusa.com/contact-us.html
Appreciate 0