E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > need help with tape!

06-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
phile92
pok gai, ho fai
United_States
Rep
Drives: truck-boat-truck

need help with tape!

i am leaving for southern california to hang out with my cousin and to go to my freshman orientation monday morning. i taped off the front bumper with 3m painters tape and i am planning on leaving it on for the whole trip.

OK so what i am really curious/worried about is the possiblity that the tape will leave residue on the paint due to heat from the engine or heat from the 100+ degree weather in socal. (i really dont want to take it off when i get there and then have to put it back on when i come back)

anyone have any experience with leaving painters tape on for more than 14 days in hot weather?
      06-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
dude your driving from norcal to socal.... as long as u dont tailgate people constantly and keep your distance the most your going to have is a bunch of bugs!! Put a good seal/wax on before u go and wash the bugs off once u get here!!
I wouldnt even waste my time with the painters tape your not driving that far...
Seems like u already put it on so I would just take it off once u get down here and if your that worried about it put it back on before u leave! I personally wouldnt leave the tape on my car for two weeks just cause it looks horrible!!
The tape wont do any harm to your car it will just look like shit after a couple days and start peeling!!
      06-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile92 View Post
i am leaving for southern california to hang out with my cousin and to go to my freshman orientation monday morning. i taped off the front bumper with 3m painters tape and i am planning on leaving it on for the whole trip.

OK so what i am really curious/worried about is the possiblity that the tape will leave residue on the paint due to heat from the engine or heat from the 100+ degree weather in socal. (i really dont want to take it off when i get there and then have to put it back on when i come back)

anyone have any experience with leaving painters tape on for more than 14 days in hot weather?
I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen cars with lots of decals on (which are already more sticky than painter's tape) drive daily for a long period of time. When you remove the tape, it may be sticky, but after a car wash it will be good as new.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen cars with lots of decals on (which are already more sticky than painter's tape) drive daily for a long period of time. When you remove the tape, it may be sticky, but after a car wash it will be good as new.
+1

gotta agree with this guy as always.
      06-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
phile92
pok gai, ho fai
United_States
Rep
Drives: truck-boat-truck

ill just take it off when i get there. i hate rock chips
      06-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile92 View Post
ill just take it off when i get there. i hate rock chips
If you truly hate rock chips, get a clear bra while your car is still flawless. Sooner or later you will get chips..just no way to avoid it. I just don't care anymore since my car is a daily driver.

LOL Law-I see you went pro and got your own site for your pix! NICE!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it... I'd worry more about speeding tickets along the way up and back.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

invest in a clear bra if you're worried about chips.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
dude your driving from norcal to socal.... as long as u dont tailgate people constantly and keep your distance the most your going to have is a bunch of bugs!! Put a good seal/wax on before u go and wash the bugs off once u get here!!
I wouldnt even waste my time with the painters tape your not driving that far...
Seems like u already put it on so I would just take it off once u get down here and if your that worried about it put it back on before u leave! I personally wouldnt leave the tape on my car for two weeks just cause it looks horrible!!
The tape wont do any harm to your car it will just look like shit after a couple days and start peeling!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
invest in a clear bra if you're worried about chips.
+1,000

What part of SoCal are you coming to?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
If you truly hate rock chips, get a clear bra while your car is still flawless. Sooner or later you will get chips..just no way to avoid it. I just don't care anymore since my car is a daily driver.

LOL Law-I see you went pro and got your own site for your pix!
NICE!
thanks! yea i just finished up the site today and when it went live the server was having problems so it takes like 10mins to load haha. Hopefully it will be up and running again soon.