BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First track day done in the M2, some driving questions

08-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

First track day done in the M2, some driving questions

Hi all,

Just had my first track day on Saturday just gone.

My car is stock, but I switched out pads to Pagid RS29 for the day after heeding advice of many on this forum, and glad I did. I'm going to switch them back out for the stock pads for daily driving, as I find the squeal and clunking sounds to be a little intense for day to day driving.

Just had a few questions for those more veteran to driving on track in this car, specifically for DCT users:

-Are you guys using MDM or DSC off? I left MDM on for this day, seemed to work fine, would only see TC kick in out of some corners. I imagine DSC off is better once more experience is had though.

-For manual shifting, at what RPM are you mostly shifting up, or shifting down?

-When braking from a long straight (high speed heavy braking), when do you start to shift down? I seemed to struggle with the timing of shifting down in braking, I seemed to do it too early and force engine braking, which I didn't really want to do.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
My experiences on the track with 6 MT is that I usually shift with sound of engine when shifting up. When downshifting on corners, brake, trail brake, then downshift, ease on power.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

If you’re comfortable with the car, DSC off. You’ll find it more rewarding and that the car is actually easy to drive at the limit with DSC off.

On a stock car you can gain a little time if you shift around 6-6.5k, when you start to feel the car lose power in the upper RPMs.

If you’re engine braking while downshifting, you’re either not braking hard enough or downshifting early.

My advice is to run DSC off, keep the car in auto mode, get a good instructor, learn the limits of the car, pay attention to how the car is shifting, and then try shifting manually.

There’s much more time to be gained learning the car and driving at the limit, vs manual shifting the DCT. The car does a better job with shifting with DSC off, too.
Appreciate 3
M2guru374.50
CrashFL136.50
      08-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
If you’re comfortable with the car, DSC off. You’ll find it more rewarding and that the car is actually easy to drive at the limit with DSC off.

On a stock car you can gain a little time if you shift around 6-6.5k, when you start to feel the car lose power in the upper RPMs.

If you’re engine braking while downshifting, you’re either not braking hard enough or downshifting early.

My advice is to run DSC off, keep the car in auto mode, get a good instructor, learn the limits of the car, pay attention to how the car is shifting, and then try shifting manually.

There’s much more time to be gained learning the car and driving at the limit, vs manual shifting the DCT. The car does a better job with shifting with DSC off, too.
Good advise. The car basically has AI built into the DCT....as you drive faster and brake harder it will adjust the shifts appropriately. I race my DCT in time trials and the auto mode is just as quick as shifting except in a very few situations. I run DSC off but had euro MDM coded and this is a great option for many...including me in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the advice!

I think I would be comfortable with DSC off, I was running MDM for the day mostly because it was wet, and I hadn't driven on track in the wet before.

I'll take it onboard and try your suggestions for the next track day.

Had another thought - if I switch back to my street pads, is there anything I need to do when I switch? Is it required to bed in the street pads again? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codylikerice View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I think I would be comfortable with DSC off, I was running MDM for the day mostly because it was wet, and I hadn't driven on track in the wet before.

I'll take it onboard and try your suggestions for the next track day.

Had another thought - if I switch back to my street pads, is there anything I need to do when I switch? Is it required to bed in the street pads again? Thanks!
There’s a little bedding that needs to happen, but it’ll work itself out after some street driving.

Try some PFC 08s or 11s next time. You’ll like them more and no bedding required.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
norberts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, D5

Garage List
For folks who coded Euro MDM, what did you use to do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norberts View Post
For folks who coded Euro MDM, what did you use to do it?
Okee at www.codemycar.com. He’s great. He’ll code everything you want for one price.

Might as well go M4 GTS MDM if you go that route. Less restrictive than Euro MDM.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #9
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
There’s a little bedding that needs to happen, but it’ll work itself out after some street driving.

Try some PFC 08s or 11s next time. You’ll like them more and no bedding required.
Okay thanks. PFC 08s/11s - these are track or street pads?

Also assuming after my stint back in the street pads, once I go back to the track pads for a track day (maybe in a month or so), I need to re-bed in correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Okay thanks. PFC 08s/11s - these are track or street pads?

Also assuming after my stint back in the street pads, once I go back to the track pads for a track day (maybe in a month or so), I need to re-bed in correct?
Track pads. The PFCs are really good about not needing to rebed. They’re usually good to go after a few hard braking corners.

Personally, I really dislike Pagid. Compared to PFC, the braking feel is worse, they don’t hold up as well under high heat, and they require more bed in when switching bn track and street pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Track pads. The PFCs are really good about not needing to rebed. They’re usually good to go after a few hard braking corners.

Personally, I really dislike Pagid. Compared to PFC, the braking feel is worse, they don’t hold up as well under high heat, and they require more bed in when switching bn track and street pads.
Thanks. I'll try new PFCs for the next pads I buy, will wear out the Pagids first. I just swapped out to the OEM street pads last night.

Just a thought I had looking at the rotors last night, there's a crap tonne of rust in the middle section between the contact parts, is there normal with everyones?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try new PFCs for the next pads I buy, will wear out the Pagids first. I just swapped out to the OEM street pads last night.

Just a thought I had looking at the rotors last night, there's a crap tonne of rust in the middle section between the contact parts, is there normal with everyones?
Yeah, that's normal. I think that's oxidation caused by the extreme heat.
Appreciate 0