F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Map update problem
ARMA SPEED

08-13-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Touring

Map update problem

I cannot find the answers to this anywhere...if i have missed them please point me in the right direction.

I have an F31, 2017 model with Professional Navigation, which is meant to include automatic map updates. Checking the current version shows me I have 2017-1 (as shown in attachment); latest version is 2018-2. BMW Connected helpline tell me that automatic map updates can fail due to size of files and poor signal. But it looks like I have had no updates in more than a year...has anyone else encountered this?

To overcome this, I decided to use BMW Download Manager to download to USB stick (64GB) and do it manually. After successfully downloading and validating I then saved to USB stick using the Download Manager. It completed 100% and then reported unzip0088 error (see attached) and told me not to use the files to do the in-car update. Again, has anyone encountered this?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Do you get the same if you try the download again.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

I haven't no, but will try in the next day or so (takes a few hours, so need the time to do it). I'll let you know how it goes and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just done the download again (uninstalled the Download Manager, deleted the previously downloaded zip file, then reinstalled and re-did the download). That was successful and the file validation completed successfully.

I then spent 2.5 hours unzipping to a 64GB USB stick (FAT32) and got exactly the same problem as previously...completes 100% and then reports Unzip0088 error.

So, still really puzzled (and frustrated!)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
GreenG
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d F31

What software are you using to unzip mate? And you got enough disc space for the original and the unzipped one?

Previous - M140i, ST Estate, EP3 Type R, EJ9 Civic.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW Download Manager itself does the unzip when you "select USB device" after the download validation completes. The USB device in question is a 64GB FAT32 USB stick and has nothing else on it. The downloaded zip file is on my HDD - Download Manager dosen't allow direct download to the USB device.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
GreenG
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d F31

Maybe try unzipping it manually from your HDD onto the USB using Windows or even 7Zip.

Previous - M140i, ST Estate, EP3 Type R, EJ9 Civic.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

My only question on this is...has anyone else done it this way? Does BMW Download Manager do a pure unzip, or does it also do anything else? All my searches have indicated that an unlock code (or FSC code?) is provided which needs to be entered into the car in order to start the download. Or is this no longer needed as the BMW Download Manager id's the car by VIN at download time...and somehow the map update ties to the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:31 AM   #9
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had some partial success...BMW Connected suggested formatting the USB stick using NTFS instead of FAT32. I did this and the unzip worked. But when I put it in the car, nothing - it does not recognise that there is a device with an updated map on it. So, only a small step and no further forward really.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpow View Post
My only question on this is...has anyone else done it this way? Does BMW Download Manager do a pure unzip, or does it also do anything else? All my searches have indicated that an unlock code (or FSC code?) is provided which needs to be entered into the car in order to start the download. Or is this no longer needed as the BMW Download Manager id's the car by VIN at download time...and somehow the map update ties to the VIN?
I did a map update manually with a USB stick for the same reason as you - I have a 2016 model that should get automatic updates but the last one was at the beginning of 2017. The USB-based update worked fine for me. I'm on a Mac so it'll be slightly different software if you're on windows. Do you have a virus scanner running? It could be interfering with the unzipping.

I'm in the UK as well so it would have been the same set of maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
davidpow
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I do have a virus scanner running, so maybe that causes the unzip 0088 error...but as it unzips successfully when I use NTFS as opposed to FAT32, I'm not sure there is a problem with the unzipping then. I will try disabling the virus scanner (though as the unzip takes a couple of hours, maybe I will disconnect from the network before doing it!).
Appreciate 0