E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wiring bracket clip mount damage, come on!

08-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

So I discovered that my wiring bracket that runs horizontal at the rear of the hood seal isn't damaged, it is the doggone locking triangles on the firewall that are. Yep, bought another bracket and no-go, then I realized the metal was broken. I have yet to understand why so-called engineers design this way.

Any suggestions on an easy repair or am I stuck with it marring the top of my intake?
09 328i
      08-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Do you mean the clips that hold the harness duct to the cowl?

If so, the clips should be on the cowl 64316924277
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Let's get some nomeclature straight first. There is a wiring harness case (cable tray) that clips into the lower cabin air filter tray. The lower cabin air filter tray is what most people call a "cowling"; it's the tray that sits in front of the windshield and holds the cabin air filter. It is removed by releasing the cable tray, the two (2) 8mm bolts at the sides near the fenders.

The cable tray holds a thick red wire which is the (+) battery cable. It slides and snaps into the lower cabin air filter tray. All of it is plastic, not metal. If the plastic clips on the cable tray break, or the female side breaks on the lower cabin air filter tray, you can drill holes through the cabin air filter tray and use course-thread automotive screws to hold the cable tray in place.

Or get all new parts...
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep

cable bracket
Attached Images

08-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep

Under the lip. There were several metal arrows that the bracket clips to that are partially broken. These appear to be permanent fixtures in this location.
Attached Images

08-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Let's get some nomeclature straight first. There is a wiring harness case (cable tray) that clips into the lower cabin air filter tray. The lower cabin air filter tray is what most people call a "cowling"; it's the tray that sits in front of the windshield and holds the cabin air filter. It is removed by releasing the cable tray, the two (2) 8mm bolts at the sides near the fenders.

The cable tray holds a thick red wire which is the (+) battery cable. It slides and snaps into the lower cabin air filter tray. All of it is plastic, not metal. If the plastic clips on the cable tray break, or the female side breaks on the lower cabin air filter tray, you can drill holes through the cabin air filter tray and use course-thread automotive screws to hold the cable tray in place.

Or get all new parts...
Mind tossing up a photo? I suspect we are talking about the same part.
      08-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyphertext View Post
Part number from my post:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...BoC5pUQAvD_BwE

This is the lower cabin air filter tray from efthreeoh's post.

Eight screws with 8mm hex heads are all that hold it and the upper in.

Last edited by GATORB8; 08-07-2018 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Diagram here:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...28#64316924277
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Your photos are exactly what parts I was referring to. If the locking tabs are completely broken off the cable tray, then you need a new cable tray. If the mating female receiving slots are broken, then use the fastener method I suggested. If both parts are broken beyond reasonable repair, then you need new parts.

You keep referring to metal; there are no metal parts of the components, they are completely made of various plastics. The cabin air filter tray is a fiber reinforced plastic, which is very hard. The cable tray is some type of polyvinyl/polystyrene or perhaps ABS injection molded plastic.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Your photos are exactly what parts I was referring to. If the locking tabs are completely broken off the cable tray, then you need a new cable tray. If the mating female receiving slots are broken, then use the fastener method I suggested. If both parts are broken beyond reasonable repair, then you need new parts.

You keep referring to metal; there are no metal parts of the components, they are completely made of various plastics. The cabin air filter tray is a fiber reinforced plastic, which is very hard. The cable tray is some type of polyvinyl/polystyrene or perhaps ABS injection molded plastic.
I may have a lead on the part locally, but it might cost me a set of wheels....as in I may have to buy them.