E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335xi clutch issue

08-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

335xi clutch issue

Having issues with the clutch on my 08 335. Car has 170k miles and has driven OK for the 1500 miles I've put on. When I got the car the clutch felt good no slipping or anything like that, but certainly didn't feel stock (felt somewhat stiff), and the throw out bearing was a little noisy.. but still shifted and drove fine.

Fast forward to today.. I sell the car and not an hour later I get a call that the clutch pedal went to the floor and will not return. The buyer was able to pull it up with his foot, and limp it off the toad, but now the pedal travel gets stiff halfway through and the pedal won't even depress enough to allow the car to start.

Of course I took the car back and now I'm trying to decide if this could be something hydraulic or if the clutch is just gone. I'm fully capable of installing s new clutch kit, but just looking for some input as this car is on the back burners until my b7 S4 is out of the garage.. currently doing timing chains. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #2
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post
Having issues with the clutch on my 08 335. Car has 170k miles and has driven OK for the 1500 miles I've put on. When I got the car the clutch felt good no slipping or anything like that, but certainly didn't feel stock (felt somewhat stiff), and the throw out bearing was a little noisy.. but still shifted and drove fine.

Fast forward to today.. I sell the car and not an hour later I get a call that the clutch pedal went to the floor and will not return. The buyer was able to pull it up with his foot, and limp it off the toad, but now the pedal travel gets stiff halfway through and the pedal won't even depress enough to allow the car to start.

Of course I took the car back and now I'm trying to decide if this could be something hydraulic or if the clutch is just gone. I'm fully capable of installing s new clutch kit, but just looking for some input as this car is on the back burners until my b7 S4 is out of the garage.. currently doing timing chains. Thanks!
You sir are a nice man
      08-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashan90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser124 View Post

You sir are a nice man
Thanks.. Not something I wanted to do, but I felt like I had to make it right. I know how I'd feel in that situation. At least I have the skill set to fix it. Although I sold it cheap at 4700
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
OP3NAIR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i e93, '03 325xiT

If the pedal isn’t coming back up, then I’d bet hydraulic. Either the master under the dashboard or the slave on the trans. I’ve been in a car where the pressure plate broke and the pedal still worked, the clutch just wouldn’t disengage.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Cruiser124
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP3NAIR View Post
If the pedal isnÂ’t coming back up, then IÂ’d bet hydraulic. Either the master under the dashboard or the slave on the trans. IÂ’ve been in a car where the pressure plate broke and the pedal still worked, the clutch just wouldnÂ’t disengage.
The pedal is in the up position. I was just told it had to be pulled up, and now it can only be pressed about half way down before getting firm. I pulled the panel under the driver side and no obvious leaks from the master. I'll have to take a look at the slave
Appreciate 0