E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Would the CEL light or flash if missfire?

08-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Would the CEL light or flash if missfire?

I have been noticing my car when it's between cold and operating temp at a red light for example the car "shakes" and idle isn't stable. Happens ocsaionally every maybe minutes or 2 minute. I read on here that it may be missfire but if it did missfire can I only know with INPA or CEL would light up? It's not a lot though, like I think the car idles a 600RPM and it bumps to 800RPM and drops to 450-500 and back to 600RPM. Randomnly does it.

Also, if I turn on the AC full blast the idle is very smooth at 800RPM and no drops.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
When my 328i misfired, at first there was no CEL. After I pounded her a few times I finally made a CEL come on. No flashing, just lit. Then it went away after a mile or so.
      08-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

CEL comes ON only after a number of Misfore counts have reached. Cars misfire all the time but you dont want to see alot of misfire. If you notice misfires while idling it will get worse. My suggestion is replace all coils and spark plugs proactively.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
CEL comes ON only after a number of Misfore counts have reached. Cars misfire all the time but you dont want to see alot of misfire. If you notice misfires while idling it will get worse. My suggestion is replace all coils and spark plugs proactively.
I'll wait.

It seemed to have fixed itself for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Yeah that doesn't sound like a misfire anyway - sounds completely normal IMO.
      08-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

In my opinion replacing the coils proactively is just a waste of money. I have seen coils fail as soon as installed, after 100 miles , 50k miles ... most of them go over 100k without missing a beat.

Just replace them when they fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I have been noticing my car when it's between cold and operating temp at a red light for example the car "shakes" and idle isn't stable. Happens ocsaionally every maybe minutes or 2 minute. I read on here that it may be missfire but if it did missfire can I only know with INPA or CEL would light up? It's not a lot though, like I think the car idles a 600RPM and it bumps to 800RPM and drops to 450-500 and back to 600RPM. Randomnly does it.

Also, if I turn on the AC full blast the idle is very smooth at 800RPM and no drops.
Had exactly the same issue. Was annoying as hell because I could really feel the shake when it would happen.

RPM's would be good, good, good, then dip. And repeat.

Changed plugs. Issue disappeared. Returned about 6 months later. Swapped coils. Haven't had an issue since.

In hindsight, I also realized I was regularly getting some misfiring just when I would really dig into the throttle at city speeds. Since changing the coils it's much smoother overall.

I'd make a hefty bet that your issue would be corrected by replacing your coils (& plugs if they're due).

Just my $0.02

To add: I agree that replacing coils proactively is unnecessary; however, it doesn't really sound like a proactive replacement in your case, assuming your issue is what it seems on the surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Had exactly the same issue. Was annoying as hell because I could really feel the shake when it would happen.

RPM's would be good, good, good, then dip. And repeat.

Changed plugs. Issue disappeared. Returned about 6 months later. Swapped coils. Haven't had an issue since.

In hindsight, I also realized I was regularly getting some misfiring just when I would really dig into the throttle at city speeds. Since changing the coils it's much smoother overall.

I'd make a hefty bet that your issue would be corrected by replacing your coils (& plugs if they're due).

Just my $0.02

To add: I agree that replacing coils proactively is unnecessary; however, it doesn't really sound like a proactive replacement in your case, assuming your issue is what it seems on the surface.
Thanks for the input.

I'll wait until it becomes much worse then, depending on the price and see where I will order.
Appreciate 0