E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 Hardtop Problem

07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
tlcoulter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Convertible

E93 Hardtop Problem

The hardtop on my 2011 E93 will not go down. The latch on the left (driver side) releases, but the one on the right side will not. I have noticed the past couple weeks that the right side seemed to be making a popping noise when the top was released. Has anyone had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Sounds like the lock has failed or needs re-adjusting. If you can get it to unlock, apply dry silicone spray over the hook and pin. Spray some in the locking mechanism as well. If nothing changes, I would bring it to the dealer for an estimate; they are the only ones with the proper alignment gauges for this kind of work.
These tops are super reliable as long as you maintain them at least once a year.
      07-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
tlcoulter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Sounds like the lock has failed or needs re-adjusting. If you can get it to unlock, apply dry silicone spray over the hook and pin. Spray some in the locking mechanism as well. If nothing changes, I would bring it to the dealer for an estimate; they are the only ones with the proper alignment gauges for this kind of work.
These tops are super reliable as long as you maintain them at least once a year.
Thank you! I have had the car for two years, and every six months I have treated the gaskets and seals in the top mechanism. I believe I should start lubing the latches also! I have not been able to get it “unstuck”, but I have not applied any pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Releasing the locks is the first process of the hardtop emergency opening procedure.

https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_s...gency_opening/

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
tlcoulter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
I just now was able to open the top. I sat in the passenger seat and pushed up on the top as it began to open. I lubed the pins on the top and the receivers on the windshield frame. There don’t seem to be any moving parts, unless I missed something (which happens frequently at my age!).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcoulter View Post
I just now was able to open the top. I sat in the passenger seat and pushed up on the top as it began to open. I lubed the pins on the top and the receivers on the windshield frame. There don’t seem to be any moving parts, unless I missed something (which happens frequently at my age!).
The latches next to the pins hook onto the stubs right besides the receivers; make sure that those both are lubricated as well. I believe that the (horizontal) stubs should turn easily by finger.