E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328i cranks but won’t start

07-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #1
asiemers
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

328i cranks but won’t start

I have a 2010 328i with a no start issue and was looking to see if anyone can help me. The car never had any prior issues or work done that could be connected to this issue. it just randomly wouldn’t start this morning. The car cranks strong and I also tried jumping it just Incase the battery was weak. it’s very unlikely it’s a battery issue. The car has fuel but I don’t hear the fuel pump priming and the car doesn’t appear to have spark. I only have two codes for steering angle sensor and a EWS4 error that only appears after trying to start more than three times. So far I’ve checked every fuse,
disconnected the battery for ten minutes,
registered the battery,
jumped the car,
I looked over every connection in the engine bay, DME box and trunk. At this point I’m at a loss. If anyone can help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

what ews error?

have you popped the rear seat and checked for voltage at the pump? It's super easy to get at.

Go down to auto zone and rent the fuel pressure test kit. Hook it to the fuel rail and see if you have fuel pressure. Gonna guess no.
so either the DME isn't turning on the pump because of the ews error, or there's omething failed in the pump or the pump module.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
asiemers
Rep

There’s no fuel pressure but it is getting power

Last edited by asiemers; 07-27-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiemers View Post
There’s no fuel pressure but it is getting power
What Scan Tool/Software are you using to read codes, and what code numbers (either/both P-codes & BMW FC's) are you seeing, along with any definitions of those codes provided by the Scan Tool?

If you determined that "it" is getting power, what exactly was getting power, at what pin/connector, and HOW was that measured? See this link for the N52 Fuel Pump & EKP circuit. If you have N51, go to its separate circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...module/vFnKcli

At ANY time since this issue began, do you get ANY sputter or attempt to fire & run, or does the starter just crank at the same RPM without ANY variation?

When you said in your initial post "the car doesn't appear to have spark" was that based on any test, or simply the fact that RPM does NOT change during cranking?

If you have any Scan Tool or software that can connect to the EKP Module (Fuel Pump Module), such as INPA, that would likely tell the story, but a proper Multimeter test should as well. If you do in fact have 12V+ at Pin#2 of Connector X5078, AND continuity to ground at Pin#1 (Brown wire) of Connector X5078 with ignition on, then it appears the problem is in the pump or its wiring/connectors from X5078 down into the tank. If NO voltage at Pin#2 (Red/White wire) then check fuse F70 (20A) & scan EKP for faults.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
asiemers
Rep

I’ve been using Carly, the only codes I get are 006EC4 and 00A10A. I tested the pump with a multimeter with the ignition on. Fuse was good. I tried firing the car up with a coil and plug out and saw no sparks, tried three different ones. Also the rps don’t change, they sit at about 200 when cranking, no sputter at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

have you tried another key?
have you inserted the key into the dash?

the EWS fault may be the cause of the no start. It is the anti theft after all.
it's odd that you have no spark and no fuel. That's a pretty big coincdence to have two separate engine management systems just fail completely. I'd think that the DME is not firing coils and fuel pump because it's gone all anti theft.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
masterkenlove
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i N51 6MT

I have just expericance somthing similar. no signs of anything starting to fail. just one morning wouldnt start. Same as OP, strong starter, just not firing. Traced my issue to fuel pump not running at all. replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure restored, but now magically have no spark. Its getting some spark as it will stumble as if engine is going to start, then just cranks over as if no spark. Also like OP, I have check all fuses, grounds, just seems to not be getting spark to plugs. I Will try the other fob, as well as pull the plugs to visually check for spark. Was there ever any resolution to this issue?

plugs and coils have 15k miles on them, for all 6 to suddenly stop working seems very iffy.

Last edited by masterkenlove; 08-25-2018 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: left out detail
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkenlove View Post
...one morning wouldnt start...strong starter, just not firing. Traced my issue to fuel pump not running at all. What tests, codes, etc. suggested a fuel pump fault? replaced fuel pump, fuel pressure restored, how was fuel pressure tested? (before & after pump replacement) but now magically have no spark. HOW determined? Its getting some spark as it will stumble as if engine is going to start, then just cranks over as if no spark...I have check all fuses, grounds, just seems to not be getting spark to plugs. Have you checked for injector pulse/click? I Will try the other fob, (NOT the issue) as well as pull the plugs to visually check for spark...plugs and coils have 15k miles on them, for all 6 to suddenly stop working seems very iffy.
Coils or plugs do NOT fail in such a way as to go from starting/running fine on day A, and then it won't start on day B.

You don't mention checking for codes saved in the DME. If you don't have INPA/ISTA or other BMW-specific software, you can still get basic P-codes with a cheap generic code reader, even one that can only connect to the DME, which is where any pertinent codes would be anyway.

If you have NEITHER injector pulse NOR spark, the Crankshaft Position Sensor, or its connector/wiring/fuse, is the first suspect. It would probably set code P0335 = BMW FC 2A94. If the DME does NOT receive a proper signal from the Crank Sensor, it NEITHER pulses the injectors, nor fires the coils/plugs, as it needs that timing input (along with cam sensor signal?).

TIS Circuit Diagram for Crank Sensor (B6203a) & F11 Fuse:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ording/vOpiTYU

TIS Coil Circuit Diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/vBlJ2fy

Injectors:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/vQegKNb

TIS Circuit Diagrams are interactive -- you can click on any BLUE component ID# and get more information on that component, such as Installation Location, Connector View, etc.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
VinoRed
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I have a similar problem with my BMW (325i 2006) and trying to repair it ..
the scanner says :2f44 : DME: EWS preventing manipulation

Stopped the car in front of the house for 45 mins and the did not start afterwards... The car cranks but does not start... I don’t see any fuel on fuel rail... not sure if the fuel pressure regulator may be out...

The positive battery cable was corroded... I put in a new battery.. (I tried to register the new battery using Foxwell NT 520 scanner)... changed water pump and thermostat and competed the coolant bleeding cycle.. earlier due to water pump issue, the car was occasionally over heating..

Checked Fuel pump relay and fuse.. both are good
Changed the fuel pump with another used one and the scanner activates the fuel pump....

Thanks for your suggestions..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
mile201
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 323i

2006 323i e90 no start

I'm having the same problem. Car has spark, but low pressure pump does not run when starting. Changed ekpu2 unit, attempted to code, but no change. Anyone else resolve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile201 View Post
I'm having the same problem. Car has spark, but low pressure pump does not run when starting. Changed ekpu2 unit, attempted to code, but no change. Anyone else resolve this problem?
LOTS of folks have "resolved the problem" of Crank, NO Start. However there are DOZENS of things that can cause it. Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) is designed to assist in that diagnosis.

Even if you do NOT have such a Tool, if you have a Multimeter and "Patch cords" with alligator clips on the ends to "Jumper" pins or connectors, we can suggest HOW to test to try to identify the fault. If you will answer the following questions, someone can suggest Next Steps for your situation:

1) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN (so we can lookup correct ISTA Wiring Diagrams)?
2) When did the car last run properly?
3) Any faults or performance issues when it last ran?
4) Have you heard the fuel pump run at ANY time since it failed to start?
5) If you "Hotwire" the pump (CAREFULLY ;-) can you hear it run? Do NOT try that UNLESS you have proper Pump wiring diagram and basic electrical & DIY skills.
6) Do you have any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) that can read Fault Codes, FF Data, Live Data, or do Activations?
7) ANY data from above to report? (Codes, FF Data, etc.)
8) Any Warning Lights or CC-ID Codes to report?
9) Do you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter)?
10) Have you checked Fuse F40 on the JB (Junction Box) Fuse Panel? F40 provides power to the EKPS.
11) Have you used Multimeter to test Voltage at Pin #1 (Red/Black wire) at Connector X13663 at the EKPS Module, for 12V+ with Ignition ON?
12) Have you tested for Continuity to Ground at Brown Chassis Ground wire, Pin#2 of X13663?

ISTA ScreenPrint for 2006 323i is attached to NEXT Post. References to Pin & Connector Numbers, and Wire Colors, are based upon designations in THAT ISTA Wiring Diagram.
George
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

2006 323i Fuel Pump Control, ISTA SSP

2006 323i Fuel Pump Control Circuit per ISTA, as discussed in Prior Post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #13
Elianne205
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91

Did you end up solving the issue?
Having the same problem and still no solution
Appreciate 0