E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 series parts costs

07-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
wmbxi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

3 series parts costs

I have my eye on a 7 to 10 year old 328xi. My experience is mostly with mk4 vw tdi

I was just curious about cost of parts / maintinence as compared to say an audi a4 of the same era or older . I will be doing all my own wrenching and have access to quality aftermarket parts .

I really like the 3 series and am looking for an awd that will be a pleasure to drive.

Are there any years that are more reliable on average than others

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

buy a post LCI model.
parts cost is on par with VW.
I find it to be far easier to work on, and the electrical connectors actually come apart and go back together again without disintegrating.

and the motor is the right way in the chassis, so that helps. No "put front clip in service position"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476

Excerpt from this post:

"If you want a dependable daily driver I would purchase a N52 (LCI or non LCI) powered car with around 80k to 100k miles. Preferably a car that has had all of the major service items completed already. I bought my car with 80k on the clock that just had the water pump, thermostat, VCG, OFHG repaired and a brand new set of run flat tires put on. Yearly operating cost should be around $2,000 for maintenance and repairs at a trusted, independent mechanic. People who try and DIY everything can push the costs down to bellow $1000 a year. Turbo cars will have slightly higher operating cost. All E9X cars require 91 octane so that should be considered at purchase as well. You now should have all of the information you need to buy a good example of an E9X or any car for that matter. If you can take your time with the car buying processes; wait until you find "the car". Many forum members who bought a good E9X and DIY their repairs as much as possible will spend no more a year then on a Camry"
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you are considering owning a 10+ year old, high mileage BMW and the cost of ownership (i.e. parts costs) is a concern, then consider another brand. Now, if you like to and have the capability to DIY, ownership is a little better regarding the cost of ownership. If you are going to rely on a BMW dealership or a BMW independent mechanic to maintain and repair the car, then you may find it difficult to tolerate the expense of owning a BMW.

If you are not well funded and can't tolerate or have financial difficulty taking a $2,000 hit in one month to your bank account, then you might not find enjoyment owning the brand even if you appreciate the BMW driving experience.

Take this as sound advice from a BMW enthusiast with 30 years of BMW ownership experience.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      07-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
3srsntswngr
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 beige 328xi

so yeah. the parts are more than a camry and the little things break more often. is true

But, compared to an a4? Its mostly opinion, but I could make an arguement for the timing chain and the in line, longitudinal configuration. Robust, room to work. No "service position" as previously mentioned. (i think audi's service position refers to one being bent over forward with hands on ankles)

Seriously, Nicko's post is right on, per usual. if you want no hassle, forget BMW and VAG, but between those two, in the hassle dept, i think Audi may provide more of them. I would avoid turbos in either car, just because its more to look after, but the NA audi seems to have more timing chain issues than the NA bmw
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2425.00
      07-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I would say that the parts are fairly similar in price, but they break about the same, and the BMW is easier to work on. The parts that are shared between engines (A4 and Jetta) might be a bit cheaper.

The TDi is a good engine in the MK4, but my experience with those year VWs hasn't been great. My sister had a 2001 Jetta 2.0 and it was a nightmare. VW has come a long way though. Her 2013 Jetta is a tank.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I've been buying E90 parts for 12 years now. I've noticed BMW has really been jacking up part costs. For instance, because I drive a zillion miles a year, I've had to replace some parts early, and repeat another buy later. The O2 sensors are one instance. In November 2010 at 1206,000 I lost the Bank 2 O2 sensor. The online price for a OE sensor was $55. The current on line price is over $200. Simply a matter of mark up now that the E90 is 10 years old and O2 sensors are starting to need replacement.

Another example, the engine belly pan. Mine got damaged about a year after I bought my car in 2006. The replacement pan from the dealer without a discount was $56. The pan now is $250 on line for the OE part.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #8
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've been buying E90 parts for 12 years now. I've noticed BMW has really been jacking up part costs. For instance, because I drive a zillion miles a year, I've had to replace some parts early, and repeat another buy later. The O2 sensors are one instance. In November 2010 at 1206,000 I lost the Bank 2 O2 sensor. The online price for a OE sensor was $55. The current on line price is over $200. Simply a matter of mark up now that the E90 is 10 years old and O2 sensors are starting to need replacement.

Another example, the engine belly pan. Mine got damaged about a year after I bought my car in 2006. The replacement pan from the dealer without a discount was $56. The pan now is $250 on line for the OE part.
This could also be because there are fewer E90Xs on the road now and there is less of a market for the parts. Less of a market means the suppliers have to make their profit on a smaller pool of customers...
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
This could also be because there are fewer E90Xs on the road now and there is less of a market for the parts. Less of a market means the suppliers have to make their profit on a smaller pool of customers...
I'm pretty sure it's just BMW jacking up the prices. I've been buying BMW parts for 30 years for 4 different cars. I've never seen part costs quadruple like the E90 parts have.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's just BMW jacking up the prices. I've been buying BMW parts for 30 years for 4 different cars. I've never seen part costs quadruple like the E90 parts have.
I think it is the case with all brands across the board, although BMW always commands a premium for their parts, especially anything performance related. $1000+ for a performance exhaust? Yeah okay. There is a reason they stopped selling them.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
^ I'm with you, but it is a well built exhaust. I mean, most performance cat-backs from a reputable brand are $800+. That's not far from what I paid for my PE. MSRP though? Give me a break.

Exhaust systems shouldn't be so expensive IMO, but they are. Hey, at least for these little 'basic bimmers' we aren't having to shell out M3 exhaust prices. Look into Akrapovic, etc. if you aren't already familiar.

Anyway, the reason they stopped selling them is because a $1000 exhaust for a new $50,000 BMW is a much different situation than a $1000 exhaust for a 10 year old, $10,000 BMW. 99% of the guys (kids) that pick up an E9x 328i are just going to throw on an aftermarket 'Frankenstein' exhaust system as it's much more cost-effective, and frankly, reasonable.

OP - I have a big piece of advice for you, if you plan on grabbing a 328. Learn the differences between the two motors that were offered in the car. The N51 vs. the N52. Former is SULEV while N52 is ULEV. N51 carries a long-term warranty on certain parts (assuming you're in one of the correct "SULEV States"), but has slightly lower compression. It comes with an 'upgraded' intake manifold though, to offset the lower compression and keep the power output the same. Of course, this same intake manifold can be easily placed on the N52 to make even more power, though, a la 330i. There are other small differences between the motors, such as different secondary cats, and the N51 has a SAI system, but that's about it.

Last edited by atmosphericM; 07-25-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Have you checked out Getting the belly pan from Tischer and just pick it up in store whenever you head that side. ( fit in your back seat, trunk won't do) I got an msport for $100~ the other day.

I do agree though the mark up has been crazy lately.
      07-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Have you checked out Getting the belly pan from Tischer and just pick it up in store whenever you head that side. ( fit in your back seat, trunk won't do) I got an msport for $100~ the other day.

I do agree though the mark up has been crazy lately.
Had I known then... I'd have bought 4 of them for $56 each.

I've been pricing new belly pans. Seems there's a few after market units that are cheap knock offs...
Appreciate 0