E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > SA advised me to not change my transmission fluid EVER~!?

06-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
DirtyMcDirt
meat popsicle
Philippines
Rep
Drives: a beater

SA advised me to not change my transmission fluid EVER~!?

had my car into Savage BMW Ontario, CA. for a 30,000 service this morning and when the work was completed i asked for an itemized list of what was done (my best friend is a master tech and asked me to get that for my records so when im outta warranty he knows what needs to be done) anyways, back on topic. i was going over the check list with my SA and asked if a transflush was done or recommended and if not when. he told me they do that at 100k and after its done, most trans' go out a few thousand miles after that. he also explained its expensive because they use a synthetic trans fluid blah blah. he recomended that i just never change the fluid and let it "run its course". is that sound advice? cause it sounds like a crock of sh!t and with a new trans costing 5k+ i think i need a second, third, and fourth opinion

*theDirtiest
      06-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I can't answer this but i can tell you that the service dept at Savage is the 5h1tiest service dept i've ever been to.
I'll never ever go there again
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

dumbest shit ive ever heard !

let me get this straight the tranny will suffer from fluid change? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

are you auto ?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
DirtyMcDirt
meat popsicle
Philippines
Rep

yeah im auto. he said that if i change it at 100k that all the buildup will be flushed out and my gears wont grab and my trans will go out on me shortly after so to just not change it at all =/ he said i could change it at 30k, 60k, 90k etc. but recommended against it and to not change it at all. his name was Remy. having mechanical knowledge and dealership knowledge, i felt he was talking down to me and almost trying to bully me into certain services. overall the service was average.

*theDirtiest
      06-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

They use syn fluid to prolong life. However more durable than standard its still a lubricant and will break down. They do it once on their service because as a business it costs a lot to be changing the fluid out more frequently if you X's it by the number of cars that get service. If they changed the Trans fluid at 30 60 90 thats 3 times they change fluid on the life of hundreds of thousands of cars.....as you can see that gets quite expensive. So if your gonna own your car out of warranty, do your own preventive work as well. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

if you pay for it.........they recommend every 30k miles...........

otherwise......it's lifetime fluid

btw ---- i bought my car from them.......but i take it to riverside for service.......

the first time i went to Savage for an appointment....and i asked one of the SA if I could set up an appointment for my passenger airbag sensor....because it goes off and on regardless who sat in it. the dude gave me his desk phone to call up someone(who knows where) to set up an appointment......and he left to chit chat with his buddies. appointment set --- took the car in....no loaner or whatsoever..........later in the evening....we went to pick up the car --- the SA said there was nothing wrong with the sensor.....maybe it was just a computer glitch.......we drove the car home....of course....the problem was still there. i called them up....and bitched.....but the guy still claimed it was only a computer glitch...it'll go away.....and he wanted "5"s on the freakin' survey. i wrote the manager a nasty note, signed and date.......to this day --- no one has ever responded back to me.

a few weeks later.....i took the car to riverside for the same problem.....and they replaced the airbag sensor.......the SA was cool.....he said the parts will be on ordered from germany.....and if i'm not comfortable driving the car around....he'll get me a loaner.......and i drove a 300C for over a week or so..........

Last edited by NaTuReB0Y; 06-24-2008 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
vtx DANNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
if you pay for it.........they recommend every 30k miles...........

otherwise......it's lifetime fluid

btw ---- i bought my car from them.......but i take it to riverside for service.......enuff said
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
DirtyMcDirt
meat popsicle
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
They use syn fluid to prolong life. However more durable than standard its still a lubricant and will break down. They do it once on their service because as a business it costs a lot to be changing the fluid out more frequently if you X's it by the number of cars that get service. If they changed the Trans fluid at 30 60 90 thats 3 times they change fluid on the life of hundreds of thousands of cars.....as you can see that gets quite expensive. So if your gonna own your car out of warranty, do your own preventive work as well. My 2 cents.
i dont mind doing a transflush but until i asked for an itemized list of what services were done and parts replaced i would have never known. thats when he let me know about the tranny. i have done my own work on all previous cars but this is my first bmw. what are the intervals for preventative maintanence like tranny flush. any other things i should keep my eye on that bmw doesn't let you know about?

*theDirtiest
      06-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

BMW tranny fluid is termed "life time fill."

I have heard of a few stories where autos either needed a tranny oil change at 100K miles or something.

Anyway, here is the deal.

The SA wasn't that far off with the idea of not changing it if you have gone like 100K kms. The detergents in the lifetime tranny fluid are very strong and can flush out filth and sluge and really jam shit up.

If you are wanting to change the fluid regularily, you should be doing it every 30K kms to 50K kms. This keeps things clean and avoids the extreme liberation of gunk that might happen by waiting to 100K kms.

Pretty much every SA I have ever spoke to says they won't change the tranny fluid because it is life time fill and they don't do it unless there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
DirtyMcDirt
meat popsicle
Philippines
Rep

so he was correct and BMW tranny's are lifetime and shouldn't be flushed or have its fluid changed? another reason why i questioned him and still do is because when asking question he would stammer and it really sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about almost like he was making names/stuff up. i just wasn't confident in his answers or reasoning.

*theDirtiest
      06-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMcDirt View Post
so he was correct and BMW tranny's are lifetime and shouldn't be flushed or have its fluid changed? another reason why i questioned him and still do is because when asking question he would stammer and it really sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about almost like he was making names/stuff up. i just wasn't confident in his answers or reasoning.

*theDirtiest
HA! SA's always seem slimey to me... way more slippery than salesmen!

According to BMW engineers, he is correct in saying that BMW transmissions are filled with a "life time fill" that is not supposed to be changed.

That being said, if you changed the transmission fluid every 30K kms to 50K kms, I don't see it hurting anything and it might in fact keep the transmission operation more "as new" over the life of the transmission.

I am on the fence as to the transmission fluid issue... I have 47,000+ kms on my car now and coming up to Inspection I. If I were to go to the changing frequently routine, I would be better off to start now. I have a MT. My dad's old E46 now has 115,000 kms with no tranny fluid changes and still works fine.

Its really a question of "do you trust BMWs engineers to have the same expectations you do for the service life of the transmission?" My guess is that many BMW owners would debate this topic heatedly.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

It's true. BMW claims its lifetime, however BMW's lifetime is about 100k miles.

I asked 3 dealerships to change the fluid that I will gladly pay for and all 3 dealerships declined. I also talked to a member who used to be a BMW tech, he also said that he wouldn't do it even if I paid him.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
had my car into Savage BMW Ontario, CA. for a 30,000 service this morning and when the work was completed i asked for an itemized list of what was done (my best friend is a master tech and asked me to get that for my records so when im outta warranty he knows what needs to be done) anyways, back on topic. i was going over the check list with my SA and asked if a transflush was done or recommended and if not when. he told me they do that at 100k and after its done, most trans' go out a few thousand miles after that. he also explained its expensive because they use a synthetic trans fluid blah blah. he recomended that i just never change the fluid and let it "run its course". is that sound advice? cause it sounds like a crock of sh!t and with a new trans costing 5k+ i think i need a second, third, and fourth opinion

*theDirtiest
bring to Center BMW at sherman Oak.. I want to see if i can help you change it .. you need to talk to Joan at the Service advisor or talk to Dan harris. the service manager there. He will gladly help you out. he is a very nice guy. Well how many miles do you have on your car.. Normally it is 30K.. I think we can do a goodwill for you. However, you need to bitch at bmw northern america. You tell them.. you have dirty stuffs in your transmission..
      06-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

Quote:

*theDirtiest
if your best friend is a master tech, wouldnt he know?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 03:04 AM   #16
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
HA! SA's always seem slimey to me... way more slippery than salesmen!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

I asked 3 dealerships to change the fluid that I will gladly pay for and all 3 dealerships declined. I also talked to a member who used to be a BMW tech, he also said that he wouldn't do it even if I paid him.
If 30K miles (48K kms) is a good time to do this, I am 1000 km away from this. When I bring my car for inspection, I will ask my dealer here in Calgary if they will change the tranny fluid for me on my dollar.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

This is a funny, disappointing, amazing and stupid all at the same time. I absolutely believe what wj4 said. My SA told me the same thing a month ago - they recommend not replacing the transmission fluid. I know this question has been asked in the Roundel mag. I am no expect mechanic but it just seems BMW wants your transmission to fail after warranty so you can cough up the $5,000-$8,000 later.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #19
DirtyMcDirt
meat popsicle
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
if your best friend is a master tech, wouldnt he know?
hes a master tech (not psychic) and works for Nissan. during a 30k on a nissan the air filter is changed, after going through my itemized list i requested, they didn't change it and wont for another 7k or something like that. ill read over it on my lunch and let you know what was and wasn't changed =/ stuff like that.

*theDirtiest
      06-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
NaTuReB0Y