BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

06-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
ericld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3, Alpine White

Synchronizing dual climate? How?

Since there are 2 climate (temp) knobs on the dash of the BMW, one for left and one for right, how can I get these to sync. In my Lexus I can sync them and just alter one knob and it changes the other side. OR I can set them to be independent of one another.

Currently I cannot figure out (yes I read the manual) how to get them to sync. I don't want to roll both knobs to 65* or whatever my desired temp is when I am in the car by myself.

Anyone know how to do this?

THANKS!!!

Eric
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericld View Post
Since there are 2 climate (temp) knobs on the dash of the BMW, one for left and one for right, how can I get these to sync. In my Lexus I can sync them and just alter one knob and it changes the other side. OR I can set them to be independent of one another.

Currently I cannot figure out (yes I read the manual) how to get them to sync. I don't want to roll both knobs to 65* or whatever my desired temp is when I am in the car by myself.

Anyone know how to do this?

THANKS!!!

Eric
A truly annoying little idiosyncrasy of BMWs for quite a few generations. I do not think there is a good solutons but am really keen to know if there is.

How about the iDrive controls for the heating and cooling? What are the mild, medium and intense settings and do they actually do anything at all? Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A truly annoying little idiosyncrasy of BMWs for quite a few generations. I do not think there is a good solutons but am really keen to know if there is.

How about the iDrive controls for the heating and cooling? What are the mild, medium and intense settings and do they actually do anything at all? Ugh.
those mild, medium, and intense settings are redundant selections. they do the same thing that you can do with the fan button that adjusts the strength of the a/c.

i do not believe that there is any way of syncing the two temp knobs...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

My wife's Sienna has 3 zones (2 front + 1 rear) a simple push of the button and they all sync.

I was unaware that the M lacked such a basic feature
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

the AUdi S4 had this - BMW ....not that I know of.
      06-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

can you tell a huge difference when you only turn one knob?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

I find this rather annoying too, I have learned just to rotate both knobs when I am changing the temperature.
You can set the two independent of each other, I believe there are two separate ducts for the left side and right, it only really matters when you have a passenger.
      06-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMPOWER View Post
I find this rather annoying too, I have learned just to rotate both knobs when I am changing the temperature.
You can set the two independent of each other, I believe there are two separate ducts for the left side and right, it only really matters when you have a passenger.
I usually keep the passenger ducts closed and then ignore the passenger controls. If somebody gets in the car they can set it how they want it.
Appreciate 0