E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Which phone?

06-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E61 530d M Sport auto

Which phone?

I have an E91 320d on order with I-drive, I also will be getting a phone upgrade soon.
The recent thread about Nokia E95’s has got me thinking.
What is a good phone to get that works fully with Bluetooth?
I have looked on the BMW website and according to that hardly any phones work fully via Bluetooth..
I currently have HTC 710 which is Window mobile based so I can get all my email, outlook contacts, diary etc.
I am happy to go down the Blackberry route as long as it works. I have been told that Nokia phone don’t synch with Outlook.
The new I-phone was also on the hit list but I hear that if plugged into the USB/I pod, port it stops working as a phone.

Any ideas or recommendations, I need to keep the email/diary synching?

Thanks

Jonny
2008 320d Edition M Sport Touring l Carbon Black l Black Dakota Leather l 18'' WTCC l Pro Nav l Logic 7 l DAB l Bluetooth l USB l Visability Package l Mirror Pack l Front and rear PDC l Sliding armrest
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I've got a Blackberry 8700 (not the latest one but does the job - company issue so I don't get a choice). Had a 320d as a courtesy car with BlueTooth this week and it worked flawlessly with the phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D SE Touring

Garage List
I have an S710 and it works 100%.

Indeed I have yet to find a Windows Mobile phone that does not work with BMW Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have an iPhone and according to several forum users it works fine with Bluetooth as a phone and syncing contacts with iDrive. It also works fine as an iPod when connected with iDrive and simultaneously with Bluetooth. It also syncs with Outlook on your PC.

As a phone it is superb and can't wait for V2.0 to be released in a couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I have a Blackberry Pearl that functions well so far now that all of the limitations have been resolved. I've only had it paired with the car since Thursday when the Bluetooth aerial was discovered to be faulty. As far as compatibility is concerned there appear to be only four limitations.
  1. The user will be unable to carry out the initial pairing process on subsequent occasions in the following scenario:
    1. Handset is deleted from the vehicle pairing menu.
    2. Vehicle is not deleted from the paired devices menu located in the Bluetooth menu.
    Recommended action is to enter Bluetooth Passkey first on mobile phone. Ensure that the handset is deleted from the vehicle’s pairing menu, and the vehicle (i.e. BMWxxxxx) tag is deleted from the paired devices menu, located in the Bluetooth menu of the handset.
  2. After pairing, when the device asks if the user wants to connect to BMWxxxxx, and the user checks the box “yes”, make sure that they also check the option “don’t ask this again” so that the Blackberry gets reconnected automatically.
  3. The telephone directory of the SIM card is not accessible over Bluetooth interface. Recommended action is to copy entries of the SIM card to the telephone-internal directory.
  4. If the Phonebook contains group of contacts, it will cause an error during the connection to the car kit and the handset will disconnect from vehicle issuing "uncaught exception java.lang class cast exception". Recommended action is not tosave your contacts within a group but save them separately.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
alpini
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
I have an iPhone and according to several forum users it works fine with Bluetooth as a phone and syncing contacts with iDrive. It also works fine as an iPod when connected with iDrive and simultaneously with Bluetooth. It also syncs with Outlook on your PC.

As a phone it is superb and can't wait for V2.0 to be released in a couple of weeks
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #7
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy View Post
I have an S710 and it works 100%.

Indeed I have yet to find a Windows Mobile phone that does not work with BMW Bluetooth.
Okay, this is good news, can you confirm that you have access to you contacts in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post

Excellent, I thought that it would not work. I need to work out if I can work the touch pad. Is it okay?

Thanks everyone, it looks as though I have a couple of options that I didn't think I had. If I can get a Blackberry to work fully then I may go that route.

Jonny
2008 320d Edition M Sport Touring l Carbon Black l Black Dakota Leather l 18'' WTCC l Pro Nav l Logic 7 l DAB l Bluetooth l USB l Visability Package l Mirror Pack l Front and rear PDC l Sliding armrest
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

N95 now working OK....also syncs with outlook diary fine, havent tried anything else yet!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari Boy View Post
Okay, this is good news, can you confirm that you have access to you contacts in the car?
Yes I can plus it also allows me to access the different phone numbers in my address book so where I have say a work, home and mobile number for Fred, it lists them all (with the prefix M for mobile, W for work and H for home). It also continues connect to my corporate Exchange server for push mail etc at the same time so I have yet to come across any functionality that is not supported.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
I have a SonyEriccson P1i (smart phone). I've had it 10 months now but the best all rounder I have had. Always connects to the bluetooth and totally trouble free. Has loads of features (but no GPS) like handwriting recognition. In short it's a PDA but the size of a compact phone. Cannot reccomend it enough. There may even be an updated model out now with GPS?

My wife has a N95 - OK but no handwriting recognition
I have a Blackberry for work too - cannot get away with it and prefer my P1i

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #11
1stKnight
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster

We have the Blackberry Pearl, Curve and 8800 and all work very well.
Previous car:
BMW E92 335i SE Manual 2006
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep
Drives: 320d 'Edition' M-Sport Touring

Question

Hi,

I've not posted for a while.

But can anyone give feedback if they are using the following devices via BT:

Nokia - 6300

HTC - TYTN II

I can use either of these devices as a phone but which would be best, or what else can folks put forward as a great BMW mobile.

09-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmw View Post
Hi,

I've not posted for a while.

But can anyone give feedback if they are using the following devices via BT:

Nokia - 6300

HTC - TYTN II

I can use either of these devices as a phone but which would be best, or what else can folks put forward as a great BMW mobile.

I have yet to see a HTC device not work perfectly with the BMW BT setup

I have tried the TYTN II and it worked fine however this is now end of life so you would be looking at the new Touch Pro (which also works).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy View Post
I have tried the TYTN II and it worked fine however this is now end of life so you would be looking at the new Touch Pro (which also works).
The company I work for have supplied us with both these devices, one for mobile calls and one for mobile email.

So I can use both or use the TYTN II for both email and calls.

Do you know if you can get full functions using the TYTN II: ie address book, full contact list and all that good stuff.

The BMW BT list say's not!

09-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The company I work for have supplied us with both these devices, one for mobile calls and one for mobile email.

So I can use both or use the TYTN II for both email and calls.

Do you know if you can get full functions using the TYTN II: ie address book, full contact list and all that good stuff.

The BMW BT list say's not!

Does the BMW BT list says it isn't compatible or does it just not list it.

When we hooked up the TYTN II all features worked fine (can't remember if we had to enable SAP in the menu of the phone though). I can't check however as my current device is an S710 (which again works fine)

The only gotcha I have seen (and I don't think this is specific to the HTC) is that if you don't have the first name AND the surname fields completed in your phone address book, the entry is invisible to the car.

Also, if you keep your phone book in Outlook and sync to the phone make sure your phone number format is not +44 (0) 1234 567890 as the (0) in brackets causes a whole world of pain and not just in the car. Your outlook contacts should be in the format +44 1234 567890
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #16
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep

Hi,

the HTC TYTN II is listed as 'Limited' Compatibility, just like the Nokia 6300.

But in the pasted I've had issues with my A4 only reading info from the 'Sim Card'.

So I was just wondering what other folks have found out.

09-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #17
Atari Boy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

My HTC S710 works okay, infact well with the BT.
Networkguy's point about first name, last name in Outlook is something I missed. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I have a Nokia 6300 and I have no problems with the car reading the phone book, making and receiving calls.

Tony
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, I should have my car by the end of the week.

So I will give them both a spin.

09-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #20
mjbmw
It's Here!
England
Rep

Question

I've been using the Nokia 6300 via BT, however, when a second call comes in you are not made aware of it by the iDrive. Also you get a phone icon pop up when you have missed a call, but no icon to tell you if an answer phone message has been left.

Anyone using a phone that gives additional info of the type detailed above?

What is the difference between 'Limited' and Full' 'Compatibility' as detailed in the BMW BT list?

Is it worth laying out for a SONY K800i which has 'Full' 'Compatibility'?

Any help or feedback please
      09-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #21
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
I've been using the Nokia 6300 via BT, however, when a second call comes in you are not made aware of it by the iDrive. Also you get a phone icon pop up when you have missed a call, but no icon to tell you if an answer phone message has been left.

Anyone using a phone that gives additional info of the type detailed above?

What is the difference between 'Limited' and Full' 'Compatibility' as detailed in the BMW BT list?

Is it worth laying out for a SONY K800i which has 'Full' 'Compatibility'?

Any help or feedback please
K800i was fantastic ime - full compatability with faultless pairing, address book, call logs etc etc...better than the N95 I have now...

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #22
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I'm waiting for the N85 to come out and will post my experiences with that.

I'm also going to get my car Prog Man'd up to latest version soon, if all is good going ahead with the latest USB retrofit, and will report back on if that makes any difference with the N95 (which is currently running V30 after debranding it)
Appreciate 0