E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Does RTAB tool work in inner bushing too?

06-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
minaret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP

Garage List
Does RTAB tool work in inner bushing too?

I've searched and viewed dozens of DIY for the outer trailing arm bushings, but haven't seen anything for the inner trailing arm bushing at the subframe. Does the Bav Auto bushing kit and the other kits replace the inner bushing too?
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I have the Koch kit and I think it's identical... I have done the outers, and have been pondering the inboard bushings as well.

The tool will not remove the bushings(without any modification or extra peices)*edited to add: when the subframe is installed. The pressed shape of the subframe causes the capture tool to tilt when used on the aft side that had the clearance*. It MIGHT work if the peice that captures the bushing was either threaded or a thin nut used that will fit between the SF and the fuel tank.

BUT, I am pretty sure I will be able to do them if I drop and tilt the sub frame(without actually removing it). I did that to do my rsfb's and had no issues.

Just waiting for my diff parts to arrive and I'll be tackling it along with the inboard brake lines (SS conversion).

If no one posts up any definitive answers I'll post up when I do it!

Last edited by avocet; 06-23-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      06-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
I have the Koch kit and I think it's identical... I have done the outers, and have been pondering the inboard bushings as well.

The tool will not remove the bushings(without any modification or extra peices)*edited to add: when the subframe is installed. The pressed shape of the subframe causes the capture tool to tilt when used on the aft side that had the clearance*. It MIGHT work if the peice that captures the bushing was either threaded or a thin nut used that will fit between the SF and the fuel tank.

BUT, I am pretty sure I will be able to do them if I drop and tilt the sub frame(without actually removing it). I did that to do my rsfb's and had no issues.

Just waiting for my diff parts to arrive and I'll be tackling it along with the inboard brake lines (SS conversion).

If no one posts up any definitive answers I'll post up when I do it!
The best way to take the bushings out of the subframe, in the rear, and put new ones in is to take the subframe completely out of the car.

You can make a tool(s) with black pipe, grade 8 bolts & plates or lots of washers, or you can rent them & buy them. Schwaben just made a new subframe tool. I know you can rent the "subframe" tool from HP autosport that takes the big 4 out, on the corners.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...SABEgIYNPD_BwE

https://www.hpashop.com/Bushing-Tool...g-tool-kit.htm

The differential tool is the same diameter as the ball joints & front/rear control arms attached to the rear subframe.

The rear/ rear control arms, in the rear, which determine camber & toe, you just replace the entire arm.

Make sure you mark the subframe with whiteout where the slot currently is located with the existing bushing. The slot for the new bushing should be in the exact same spot.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
lab_rat394.50