BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > bmw m2 brand new - paint issues!!

06-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
boxdoc88
Rep
Drives: m2 lci 2018

bmw m2 brand new - paint issues!!

Hi guys,
all new to this - but advice / some guidance would be much appreciated!
1st week of april got my m2 2018 brand new (cars on 3 year finance PCP). its in black sapphire - approximately a month later (2nd wash) i noticed what looked like 'water marks' all over the roof, bonnet and the boot. On certain angles , in the sunlight the car looks almost like a leopard!. Being naive and not the biggest car nut i thought it was simply water marks - and my local car wash (been with them for 7 years) decided to wax/polish it off- nothing happened - the marks remained. I rang bmw - and a week later got it down to the dealer. They took in to the body shop with me, and machine polished the boot - as a test with '3m cutting paste' - (what the bottled said anyway). The aim was - 'lets see if it works' and bring it back after the weekend to do the rest of the car. At first it seemed to have all gone - but about 3 days later i saw it again -in the same distribution - so clearly had not worked.Car had not been washed in between

the car has the autoglym paint protect - previously i think bmw used supra guard??. I had a m135 for 4 year before this - from new and had no such issues - that was in grey.

the paint feels smooth - its not rough to the touch . in my basic knowledge i think the paint protect failed and what ever got on to my car - seems like it came with the rain as the droplets are all over and fine - took the lacquer with it

the chaps at bmws in the body shop seemed to agree.

the car is now back with them - (delayed due to my own work issues) and the plan is to keep it for a week - to 'sort it out'

questions which i hope you can help me with?
1) would the paint protect fail? was it put on? would i even know? - i have the bag with bar code which comes in the boot
2) is this covered under warranty? what are my rights?
3) if they send it to a detailer - how does it not happen again?
i need to be clued up when they call me back with the solution - i feel/from what I've been hearing re customer services i may be fobbed off/hence pay when i shouldn't

yes I'm an idiot i have no pictures! and it much more clearer in person!!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Very difficult to give advice without seeing the problem. I would have said put a post up on detailingworld website where you would get the best advice.

1) no way of knowing one way or the other apart from how the water beads off the car. No beading = no protection, if it was done the water should bead nicely off the car. Doubt it's a failure in the protection personally.

2) seems like the dealer is trying to rectify it which means they have accepted some responsibility so if it happens again then take it back to them.

3) check your local area and find a good detailer who can take a look and advise you.Have a look on detailingworld to see if there's a decent one near you.

I guess the question is, has something been sprayed on the car by mistake/accident to cause the milky reaction? Sounds like the clear coat might have been damaged in some way, but it's all a guess.

Rubbish situation for you fella, I'd be gutted, hope this helps and you get it back to perfect!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure how close these are to you but seem to get good reviews.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=59868
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Mikegm2
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 lci

I picked mine up a week before yours and it’s exactly the same I’ve mopped and ceramic coated the whole car and it’s still there it’s definitely a paint defect mine is mineral grey so it’s harder to spot but It’s definitely there should imagine it looks worse on the black though. I’m a paint sprayer by trade so I’m now going to investigate it but I’m pretty sure it’s dirty rain and it’s been baked into the fresh lacquer when it’s been sat at port,when I viewed my car in the dealers compound there wasn’t any plastic wrap on it according to the dealer they don’t wrap them any more which is a lie!! alarm bells should of rang then to be honest,also it’s covered in stone chips at only 1500 miles the paint seems to be very soft. let me know how you get on with yours ����
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
On my 1er I had a situation where a sprinkler system at a marina got my car while we were out for the weekend.

Came back and the car was completely covered in spots. Paint, glass, everything. I had "waxed" the car with a synthetic a week before which gave me a beautiful beaded spot pattern.

Cleaning and claying helped some but I finally had to polish the entire car a couple of times, glass included, to get it cleaned up.

If you have dirty water and you let it dry on the car, it can do ugly things.

Never again parked the car anywhere near a sprinkler head.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
boxdoc88
Rep

thanks for all your help guy

mike - thanks for letting me know, because mines picking up odd scratches left, right and centre- places where it would not have contact with anything - and i take a lot of care with it!
I'm starting to think the paint is defective or the finish.
This is compounded by what you have just told me !
whats the way around it you reckon?
from what i know about detailing (not much) it will be quite a job getting rid of it all as well?
I'm going to raise this with the dealer = I'm positive they will find it hard to rectify. My argument to them will be its clearly not pain stripper (as the pain has not been stripped hence was not deliberate / along with the rain like distribution), and how can i guarantee this won't happen again - the answer for them will be the 'paint protection' - but its already got it - according to them, so what went wrong??. I'm quite cautious about giving them any more money, for me the product is defective.
thoughts?
my 135i for 4 years was treated a lot worse,and nothing like this happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoc88 View Post
thanks for all your help guy

mike - thanks for letting me know, because mines picking up odd scratches left, right and centre- places where it would not have contact with anything - and i take a lot of care with it!
I'm starting to think the paint is defective or the finish.
This is compounded by what you have just told me !
whats the way around it you reckon?
from what i know about detailing (not much) it will be quite a job getting rid of it all as well?
I'm going to raise this with the dealer = I'm positive they will find it hard to rectify. My argument to them will be its clearly not pain stripper (as the pain has not been stripped hence was not deliberate / along with the rain like distribution), and how can i guarantee this won't happen again - the answer for them will be the 'paint protection' - but its already got it - according to them, so what went wrong??. I'm quite cautious about giving them any more money, for me the product is defective.
thoughts?
my 135i for 4 years was treated a lot worse,and nothing like this happened.
Take it to a pro like autodetox, they will give you an impartial opinion. It will cost you nothing.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      06-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

I'll never get a Supaguard/GuardX/Protect X product again.

It was thrown in on our Merc and my wife has it on her Fiat.

In both cases there was a horrid milky/glassy effect in places, not everywhere but splodges.

Its also pretty noticeable on the interior. Terrible stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Mikegm2
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve managed to machine polish the roof and bonnet again,it’s a lot better but still needs another going over as after I waxed it at the weekend I could still see the marks in it.
I’m confident the marks will come out but will be very hard work I’ve decided with all the chips in it already it will need painting soon, so I’ll paint it and get it Matt wrapped for the winter
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #10
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

I may go along with the post above that suggests dirty rain I'm afraid.

I had my car in at Auto Detox in the West Midlands and he has heard of a couple of cars in the West Midlands area that have exactly the symptoms you describe.

One of them, a Porsche RS3 in white, I saw with my own eyes and it was horrendous, all over the car and I know the owner was taking it up with Porsche themselves.

Last edited by renny73; 06-08-2018 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Mikegm2
United Kingdom
Rep

If I remember rightly we had that sandy rain in March and then a really couple of hot days with on/off rain which would be enough to cause this to new paint. I’ve looked at mine today it’s the tops of the front wings/roof/bonnet/boot lid I’m thinking the sandy rain has Been baked into the clear coat by the hot sun as like I’ve said I’ve Machine polished with hard and soft pads and cutting compound and it’s still there I’m going to flat and polish the worst front wing at the weekend to see if that removes it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegm2 View Post
If I remember rightly we had that sandy rain in March and then a really couple of hot days with on/off rain which would be enough to cause this to new paint. I've looked at mine today it's the tops of the front wings/roof/bonnet/boot lid I'm thinking the sandy rain has Been baked into the clear coat by the hot sun as like I've said I've Machine polished with hard and soft pads and cutting compound and it's still there I'm going to flat and polish the worst front wing at the weekend to see if that removes it
Good luck. I remember all too well how much work it took to polish the junk off my 1er. Slow and easy does it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegm2 View Post
If I remember rightly we had that sandy rain in March and then a really couple of hot days with on/off rain which would be enough to cause this to new paint. I’ve looked at mine today it’s the tops of the front wings/roof/bonnet/boot lid I’m thinking the sandy rain has Been baked into the clear coat by the hot sun as like I’ve said I’ve Machine polished with hard and soft pads and cutting compound and it’s still there I’m going to flat and polish the worst front wing at the weekend to see if that removes it
Sounds around the same time mate yes.

Nothing would save the car apart from PPF, it marked a car with Gyeon MOHS+ like it didn't exist, sounds like really nasty stuff.

I could of cried when I saw the RS3 and it wasn't even mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #14
boxdoc88
Rep

hi guys

update from bmw 'they have been polishing it and put in near an oven lamp'
i will find out next week what it looks like but apparently its working.
the dirty rain is certainly something i remember! late march/april within 1st week i bought it.
lets hope it works!
thanks for everyone advice and help appreciate, will post pictures once i get it back
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:30 AM   #15
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoc88 View Post
hi guys

update from bmw 'they have been polishing it and put in near an oven lamp'
i will find out next week what it looks like but apparently its working.
the dirty rain is certainly something i remember! late march/april within 1st week i bought it.
lets hope it works!
thanks for everyone advice and help appreciate, will post pictures once i get it back
How did it go mate, were you able to get it sorted?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #16
boxdoc88
Rep

hi guys
sorry been busy at work! - the car is back, the marks have gone, guessing they spent a lot of time polishing it with the DA machine mentioned above by the chaps.
i was not charged.
however if it happened again the salesman stated they would have to look at is a 'product defect' issue
thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #17
miss pitstop
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 F87 LCI DCT

New Black Sapphire paint spots

I bought a new M2 in black sapphire and a few days later I noticed in sunlight tiny white spots on one side of the bonnet. They seem to be under the paintwork and I took the car back to the dealer. they say that it is a factory fault during the mix of the silver particles in the paint and they say it is covered under the warranty, however we will see..

Anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
DLT222
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCi

Mine is black sapphire and I have no issues at all!

Would i let anyone go near it with a polisher though?... NO absolutely not. I would rather do all that my self as i have 20 years experience with rotary polisher!

Ive seen some proper horror stories where someone puts a polisher to a car and has no idea!
Appreciate 0