E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Audio advice needed for my E92

05-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Scorpion78
Rep
Drives: 2020 F32 430i

Audio advice needed for my E92

So finally got my E92 LCI the other day and I love it, however WOW the speakers are shockingly rubbish!!

I also have a 2005 Vauxhall Astra and speakers on there are honestly amazing and this car worth seriously more has speakers that even my headphones put to shame!

So as im broke from forking out for this beauty, any ideas on the cheapest option to get better sound?

I was thinking just getting new speakers but not sure if that will help because it may be the HU that is actually just weak?

Anyone out there tried this and got better results?

Any advice is welcome you guys have been really helpful so far!

Nim
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
nemz
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31N 320d & E92 LCI 320d

I can only go by what I've read, which you may have already seen - there's 3 level's of spec/quality. Get your VIN and run it through the online BMW decoder to see exactly what you have installed and you could also take a look under the left boot panel for an amp (black factory/silver HK).

1) Base (no door tweeters no amp)
2) Pro (with door tweeters and factory amp)
3) HK 13 speaker setup (cola can speakers that hurt my ears)

Some good threads that go into detail, I might not be 100% correct

Ideally you'd need an amp for MB Quart/Focal components, however, there are many comments that suggest replacing speakers (using direct fit speakers that follows BMW speaker impedance) vastly improve sound quality even with the base system

I've got the HK in mine (e92 2012) sounds so thrashy, logic 7 adds a bigger sound but takes away from the sound quality massively (stereo only seems better to me) all subjective I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Bmwguy82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335d

What's your budget?

If you have the base stereo, adding Tweeters is a cheap upgrade and that will make a difference.

The best upgrade would be adding an amp but I don't know your budget is so can't make any suggestions yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Does sound like you have the base setup so only underseat sub and mid in the door. If this is the case then there's a couple of options you have. There is an Alpine upgrade which adds an amp and upgraded mids and additional highs.
You could an aftermarket amp and speakers but again that is budget dependant.
Adding a set of tweeters in will help lift the front end with no other additional components.
      05-21-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemz View Post
I can only go by what I've read, which you may have already seen - there's 3 level's of spec/quality. Get your VIN and run it through the online BMW decoder to see exactly what you have installed and you could also take a look under the left boot panel for an amp (black factory/silver HK).

1) Base (no door tweeters no amp)
2) Pro (with door tweeters and factory amp)
3) HK 13 speaker setup (cola can speakers that hurt my ears)

Some good threads that go into detail, I might not be 100% correct

Ideally you'd need an amp for MB Quart/Focal components, however, there are many comments that suggest replacing speakers (using direct fit speakers that follows BMW speaker impedance) vastly improve sound quality even with the base system

I've got the HK in mine (e92 2012) sounds so thrashy, logic 7 adds a bigger sound but takes away from the sound quality massively (stereo only seems better to me) all subjective I guess.
There's also a level 4 - individual audio that sits above the hk logic 7. I have this in my e92 and is actually not bad
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
Scorpion78
Rep

Thank you gents, been crazy busy so not had a chance to check what audio setup I have as nemz suggested, but will do on the weekend.

Budget right now is maybe up to £100 as my savings went just for the deposit for the car and paying finance.

I may try a speaker upgrade and some tweeters as you guys have mentioned. Being a novice do this need to be cut into the door or sit on the edge where the door frame is, sorry don't know how to describe it better.

It's a pity as the car is well speced out so was surprised how rubbish the speakers are!

Will also look into the logic 7 upgrade, and costs.

Thanks for all advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion78 View Post
Thank you gents, been crazy busy so not had a chance to check what audio setup I have as nemz suggested, but will do on the weekend.

Budget right now is maybe up to £100 as my savings went just for the deposit for the car and paying finance.

I may try a speaker upgrade and some tweeters as you guys have mentioned. Being a novice do this need to be cut into the door or sit on the edge where the door frame is, sorry don't know how to describe it better.

It's a pity as the car is well speced out so was surprised how rubbish the speakers are!

Will also look into the logic 7 upgrade, and costs.

Thanks for all advice!
So I had the same dilemma when I bought my car, I couldn't believe how bad the stereo was.... I actually thought there was something wrong with it...

The first thing I did was swap out the front door mids for these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-...wEK9TyQNy#rwid

They are a straight swap with the OE speakers and because they are coax, there is a tweeter to add some clarity, they won't set the world alight but they will work just fine off the standard head unit though they do sound better when amped.

I have since added a new head unit and sub etc and moved those MB Quarts to the rear shelf as I have now added the tweeters in the doors, this required the purchase of the "tweeter sails" which is both the housing for the tweeter and the inner door trim around the window though I don't think the E92 has these and instead just has the corner housing.

Basically, the speakers linked above are your easiest and most likely budget friendly solution that doesn't require additional parts though a fellow forum member may have some parts kicking about that you could get on the cheap, maybe ask in the classified section.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #8
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Will be a struggle with £100. Think you will just about get some new upgraded door speakers which will be plug and play and even then don't think it would be worth it. Unless you add an amplifier at a later stage.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Scorpion78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
So I had the same dilemma when I bought my car, I couldn't believe how bad the stereo was.... I actually thought there was something wrong with it...

The first thing I did was swap out the front door mids for these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-...wEK9TyQNy#rwid

They are a straight swap with the OE speakers and because they are coax, there is a tweeter to add some clarity, they won't set the world alight but they will work just fine off the standard head unit though they do sound better when amped.

I have since added a new head unit and sub etc and moved those MB Quarts to the rear shelf as I have now added the tweeters in the doors, this required the purchase of the "tweeter sails" which is both the housing for the tweeter and the inner door trim around the window though I don't think the E92 has these and instead just has the corner housing.

Basically, the speakers linked above are your easiest and most likely budget friendly solution that doesn't require additional parts though a fellow forum member may have some parts kicking about that you could get on the cheap, maybe ask in the classified section.

Hope that helps.
Thanks mate, and Blue, for the advice, as my budget is limited I'm probably going to go the same route and change it in bits, speakers first, then tweeters etc... hopefully get better sound soon so it does not sound like I'm playing music off my mobile phone when driving!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I’d personally see if you can stretch the budget a touch and just a set of mb or focal components for the front doors. You’ll need the tweeter housing but that would certainly lift the front end with no other upgrade at this stage. Then when funds allow add an amp in.