THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Car Keeps Going Into Comfort Mode During High Speed Turns

05-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

Car Keeps Going Into Comfort Mode During High Speed Turns

I have a 230i 6MT with Track Pack which comes with an adaptive m suspension.

I have noticed multiple times that the car keeps going into comfort mode during high speed turns/twisties at 60mph +. I am almost positive I am not doing this by accident but often times after high speed turns and twisties I notice the car is in comfort mode when I know I was in sport mode just prior. I almost never go into comfort mode to begin with. The screen doesn't change when the proposed driving mode changes.

From a safety perspective I can see where a dialed back throttle response would be good for linear throttle modulation when tires are at a max grip and where sudden throttle input might cause a loss in grip. However, it wouldn't make sense for suspension to be in comfort mode either.

Has anyone noticed anything with theirs 230s / 240s? I may be going crazy, but curious either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
I have a 230i 6MT with Track Pack which comes with an adaptive m suspension.

I have noticed multiple times that the car keeps going into comfort mode during high speed turns/twisties at 60mph +. I am almost positive I am not doing this by accident but often times after high speed turns and twisties I notice the car is in comfort mode when I know I was in sport mode just prior. I almost never go into comfort mode to begin with. The screen doesn't change when the proposed driving mode changes.

From a safety perspective I can see where a dialed back throttle response would be good for linear throttle modulation when tires are at a max grip and where sudden throttle input might cause a loss in grip. However, it wouldn't make sense for suspension to be in comfort mode either.

Has anyone noticed anything with theirs 230s / 240s? I may be going crazy, but curious either way.
Any chance you are below 1/3 of a tank of fuel when this occurs? The BMW 2ER is notorious for fuel starvation in turns when the gas tank is low. Any fuel starvation situation would most likely cause a fault and shift the driver experience setting back to comfort mode.
      05-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

^^ Usually the fuel level issue would come with a "drivetrain malfunction", at least it did for me, when I was on a track. Required me to pull over and re start the car, in order to get my mode back to where I wanted it.

If you're not getting any "chassis stabilization errors" and you can confirm that the dampers and throttle pedal are not doing as you've selected, I'd book it in for diagnostic, as it's something which requires the proper scan tool by BMW, or an indie shop with Autologic, etc to pin point. The car should behave as you've selected it, to do so, nothing more, nothing less. It sounds like the module could be the culprit, based on other similar cases I've seen, of strange behaviours with BMW EDC equipped cars without codes/error lights.

D
      05-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

2 reasons i can think of.

1- fuel which was mentioned, this will throw a cel. Im pretty sure you would know if that happened.

2- tire pressures... this is a long shot. But if you reset tpms sitting in the paddock, you can be on track in sport +, than when it sees pressures are under 29, it will throw you into comfort mode until they warm up. Than you have to reselect sport+ or dsc off again.

3- You sure you took it out of comfort?
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0