F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Ride comfort change from 2007 335xi to 2015 435i xDrive?
GetBMWParts

04-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
scorp508
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Question Ride comfort change from 2007 335xi to 2015 435i xDrive?

Hi All,

My wife and I traded my 2007 335xi daily driver in towards another vehicle, and we are now thinking of replacing her daily driver for something like a certified pre-owned 2015 435i xDrive or an Audi S5. She likes the hard top of the 435i convertible so we aren't yet set on coupe or convertible for a BMW. An S5 would be a coupe as the soft top and roof line of the 'vert isn't pleasing to her.

I loved our 335xi with the sport and cold weather packages. My wife also really liked the 335xi, but she wasn't a fan of how hard the ride was over potholes and rough roads. I think 2007 was one of the first years BMW started putting run flat tires on vehicles. In her opinion was more tolerable when I swapped the RFTs out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports in spring/summer, but still a bit harsh for her liking.

As this vehicle would be her daily driver I want to make sure she is in something she's comfortable in.

Eight model years later how would you say the ride has changed if we go with a 435i xDrive? From the research I've done so far it looks like the Sport Line only comes with the stiffer suspension in the RWD models. I don't see anything related to suspension on the build sheets for CPO Sport Line 435i xDrive units I'm looking at even though some dealer ads seem to inaccurately list "M Sport Suspension."

Most of the loaners we had from the BMW when getting service over the years were stripped down 3-series or the random grand coupe so we haven't yet had a chance to compare. There isn't much for certified 435i xDrive inventory around us to go try and I'm looking at units a few hundred miles away.

Thank you in advance for any opinions on option combinations to look for.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I traded my 2007 335xi daily driver in towards another vehicle, and we are now thinking of replacing her daily driver for something like a certified pre-owned 2015 435i xDrive or an Audi S5. She likes the hard top of the 435i convertible so we aren't yet set on coupe or convertible for a BMW. An S5 would be a coupe as the soft top and roof line of the 'vert isn't pleasing to her.

I loved our 335xi with the sport and cold weather packages. My wife also really liked the 335xi, but she wasn't a fan of how hard the ride was over potholes and rough roads. I think 2007 was one of the first years BMW started putting run flat tires on vehicles. In her opinion was more tolerable when I swapped the RFTs out for Michelin Pilot Super Sports in spring/summer, but still a bit harsh for her liking.

As this vehicle would be her daily driver I want to make sure she is in something she's comfortable in.

Eight model years later how would you say the ride has changed if we go with a 435i xDrive? From the research I've done so far it looks like the Sport Line only comes with the stiffer suspension in the RWD models. I don't see anything related to suspension on the build sheets for CPO Sport Line 435i xDrive units I'm looking at even though some dealer ads seem to inaccurately list "M Sport Suspension."

Most of the loaners we had from the BMW when getting service over the years were stripped down 3-series or the random grand coupe so we haven't yet had a chance to compare. There isn't much for certified 435i xDrive inventory around us to go try and I'm looking at units a few hundred miles away.

Thank you in advance for any opinions on option combinations to look for.
I came from an x drive E90 as well. Ride was about the same on 18s. A one size up tire profile helped the harshness on my F30, so did ditching run flats (if you're running stock 18s). I didn't really notice a change in ride quality on stock suspension at all really...

If you're set on x drive there's only one x drive suspension. It's not great but it is soft. I upgraded to coils pretty quickly but the standard suspension on the wife's car I should think it will be plush enough while offering a decent level of control/feedback
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
VT-man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

Idk about 335xi but my 435xi is comfy. I run faster over bumps without feeling much. That's one of the reasons I am still holding out on getting lower springs.
I want to save for Coils because I want that smooth ride still, somewhat.