E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335i brake upgrade: M3 vs. F30 M Performance

04-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: to Drum & Bass

335i brake upgrade: M3 vs. F30 M Performance

I tried searching but couldn't find this specific topic. Which of these upgrades to a 335i gives better braking power? (Note, mine's an E90). I will be upgrading to the M3 Master Cylinder regardless of route.

-M3 Brakes (In this case I'lll be upgrading to M3 rear axles + diff, so this'll plug right on)
-F30 M Performance Brakes

Thanks ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

(e92)M3 uses the same front calipers as 335i, not sure on the rears.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-OP View Post
-M3 Brakes (In this case I'lll be upgrading to M3 rear axles + diff, so this'll plug right on)
-F30 M Performance Brakes
e9x m3 brakes won't mount on none M unless you replace the front and rear uprights. Regardless F30 are better brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
(e92)M3 uses the same front calipers as 335i, not sure on the rears.
Wrong! None M 34116773201 vs M3 34112283361 Only pads are interchangeable.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
e9x m3 brakes won't mount on none M unless you replace the front and rear uprights. Regardless F30 are better brakes.

Wrong! None M 34116773201 vs M3 34112283361 Only pads are interchangeable.
Whoops, they look exactly the same, didn't realize they had different specs. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Whoops, they look exactly the same, didn't realize they had different specs. Thanks for the info.
A lot of calipers look a like because usually they are all made by ATE. Similar design are found on VW/Audi/Bentley, some Jaguars, Volvo and ect. But they are all diffident.
M3 caliper has larger piston thus the larger brake cylinder and also the carrier has different spacing, the bolts won't line up in addition.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A lot of calipers look a like because usually they are all made by ATE. Similar design are found on VW/Audi/Bentley, some Jaguars, Volvo and ect. But they are all diffident.
M3 caliper has larger piston thus the larger brake cylinder and also the carrier has different spacing, the bolts won't line up in addition.
I knew it(M3) had a larger master cylinder and should have figured the caliper had bigger pistons because of that fact. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I was going to replace the uprights too. Any advantage in handling if doing so anyway?

I'll probably go the F30 M Performance route then based on braking power (bonus for how it looks too). Time to search if they fit the M3 rear axles.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I was going to replace the uprights too. Any advantage in handling if doing so anyway?

I'll probably go the F30 M Performance route then based on braking power (bonus for how it looks too). Time to search if they fit the M3 rear axles.
When you go to M3 uprights you will need M struts and M shocks. The front control arms give more negative camber and rear control arms allow for better shock articulation so yes, handling will be improved.
F30 fit the E9x M3 rear but you will need M rotors witch will be bigger than the front rotors so I don't recommend you going that route
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When you go to M3 uprights you will need M struts and M shocks. The front control arms give more negative camber and rear control arms allow for better shock articulation so yes, handling will be improved.
You can swap the rear control arms separately anyway right? Unless I'm mixing that up with the front control arms.

Quote:
F30 fit the E9x M3 rear but you will need M rotors witch will be bigger than the front rotors so I don't recommend you going that route
I'll replace a full set of calipers and rotors, front and rear. Why do you recommend against this?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can swap the rear control arms separately anyway right? Unless I'm mixing that up with the front control arms.
I'll replace a full set of calipers and rotors, front and rear. Why do you recommend against this?
Yes you can swap the rear control arms and have m3 upright with none m3 control but that is giving away the single benefit from having m3 components in the rear. I'm against because F30 won't mount on E9x M3 front upright. Only on none M. So if you go with rear M3 E9x upright and F30 brakes you will need to use F82 rear rotor that will be bigger than your front. All of this has been covered on the F30 brakes thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can swap the rear control arms and have m3 upright with none m3 control but that is giving away the single benefit from having m3 components in the rear. I'm against because F30 won't mount on E9x M3 front upright. Only on none M. So if you go with rear M3 E9x upright and F30 brakes you will need to use F82 rear rotor that will be bigger than your front. All of this has been covered on the F30 brakes thread.
Ya I've been reading up alot about it. I understand the issue a bit. I'm confused why you did it on your own car, but you don't recommend it?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

As much hard driving I do in my 335i I have to wonder why you would ever need to go with anything else than stock. Stock brakes are more than capable of stopping my 335i from speeds in excess of 185mph on the autobahn. If you have no confidance in the stock parts than you are running substandard replacement parts.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
As much hard driving I do in my 335i I have to wonder why you would ever need to go with anything else than stock. Stock brakes are more than capable of stopping my 335i from speeds in excess of 185mph on the autobahn. If you have no confidance in the stock parts than you are running substandard replacement parts.
It's not from a lack of confidence in my brakes. It's simply that I know the brakes were spec'd for this car at the stock power of 300hp. I plan to increase that power to 400-500whp. With greater power, comes greater responsibility. The M3 has stock power of 400hp and has better brakes spec'd. Because I'll be near that power, I believe it necessary and responsible to upgrade my brakes.

I've yet to track this car, but would like to slowly set it up for tracking. Because of the modifications I'm planning for the car, I can easily swap to M3 brakes, but noticed the M-Performance ones are nicer looking, and am now learning they are even better. So in short, I'd like to upgrade my brakes to handle higher horsepower, to be better on a track, and it's simply a bonus if it looks nicer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya I've been reading up alot about it. I understand the issue a bit. I'm confused why you did it on your own car, but you don't recommend it?
You are confusing yourself. Re read your questions and my answers to your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Simple. You aren't driving hard enough. How is speed here the sole factor? Because is 185mph? You cook your brakes doing 18.5mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #15
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
You are confusing yourself. Re read your questions and my answers to your questions.

Simple. You aren't driving hard enough. How is speed here the sole factor? Because is 185mph? You cook your brakes doing 18.5mph.
Speed is never the sole factor, repetition, speed, condition of the equipment, condition /traction of the tires, road surface...
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
It's not from a lack of confidence in my brakes. It's simply that I know the brakes were spec'd for this car at the stock power of 300hp. I plan to increase that power to 400-500whp. With greater power, comes greater responsibility. The M3 has stock power of 400hp and has better brakes spec'd. Because I'll be near that power, I believe it necessary and responsible to upgrade my brakes.

I've yet to track this car, but would like to slowly set it up for tracking. Because of the modifications I'm planning for the car, I can easily swap to M3 brakes, but noticed the M-Performance ones are nicer looking, and am now learning they are even better. So in short, I'd like to upgrade my brakes to handle higher horsepower, to be better on a track, and it's simply a bonus if it looks nicer.
As someone that has done the complete F30 conversion along with the M3 master. It's much easier than a M3 conversion.

Go F30.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50