E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace Koni FSD Rears Only?

04-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Replace Koni FSD Rears Only?

Hey Guys,

I have an '09 E90 RWD, with the Eibach/Koni FSD kit purchased about 4 years ago, now with 50k miles on them, love the ride. One of the rear shocks is leaking and I would like to just replace both rears, not the whole set as the fronts are still fine.

I'm only seeing the full set available online. Does anyone know if I could get rears individually, and if not, other suggestions?

Thanks.

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

The current FSD line is only available as a set. Koni is re-releasing them around the end of the month and they'll be available for purchase individually or as front/rear pairs. The pint color will change and Koni was vague on whether there are any substantial differences in the construction, though they were clear that valving did not change.
Appreciate 2
gxe2se37.50
      04-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
The current FSD line is only available as a set. Koni is re-releasing them around the end of the month and they'll be available for purchase individually or as front/rear pairs. The pint color will change and Koni was vague on whether there are any substantial differences in the construction, though they were clear that valving did not change.
Thanks. Source/links for this info?

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrewh View Post
Thanks. Source/links for this info?
Email from Koni. I emailed them because I ordered FSD's and my first order was canceled. I found another vendor showing them in stock and turns out they didnt. After I received a ship date in May, I reached out to Koni to check on availability.

From Koni, "Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. You will find the FSD dampers are coming more difficult to acquire as the FSD (Gold) product line is currently going through a transition period which in the end will see all the complete FSD (Gold) kits being discontinued. The new generation of FSD Technology which is set to release and be available the end of April, early May and is known as our new Active product line with FSD technology. The newer generation of the FSD feature and function remains the same, in filtering road harshness, and high frequency shock input of overall improved road handling and ride comfort. The most noticeable change that will come with the new Active line will be that the struts and shock will now be painted Red instead of the FSD gold color, as a homage to the original KONI Special shocks. The struts and shocks will also become available for purchase individually or as front/rear pairs, instead of only as a fully kit of four. The part numbers for the individual dampers will be 8745 1234L&R for the front, and 8245 1015 for the rear."

I exchanged additional emails but gleaned no additional useful information.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Perfect, thanks.

I was reminded that Koni have a lifetime warranty, so I just emailed in my claim form, with pictures. Will be interesting to see how they handle it assuming the claim is accepted - if they send me an identical FSD replacement or a red 'Active'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
Email from Koni. I emailed them because I ordered FSD's and my first order was canceled. I found another vendor showing them in stock and turns out they didnt. After I received a ship date in May, I reached out to Koni to check on availability.

From Koni, "Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. You will find the FSD dampers are coming more difficult to acquire as the FSD (Gold) product line is currently going through a transition period which in the end will see all the complete FSD (Gold) kits being discontinued. The new generation of FSD Technology which is set to release and be available the end of April, early May and is known as our new Active product line with FSD technology. The newer generation of the FSD feature and function remains the same, in filtering road harshness, and high frequency shock input of overall improved road handling and ride comfort. The most noticeable change that will come with the new Active line will be that the struts and shock will now be painted Red instead of the FSD gold color, as a homage to the original KONI Special shocks. The struts and shocks will also become available for purchase individually or as front/rear pairs, instead of only as a fully kit of four. The part numbers for the individual dampers will be 8745 1234L&R for the front, and 8245 1015 for the rear."

I exchanged additional emails but gleaned no additional useful information.

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Normally I believe their warranty applies to the original purchaser with receipt but doesn't hurt to try!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

I am the original purchaser, with receipt. My papers are in order :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Normally I believe their warranty applies to the original purchaser with receipt but doesn't hurt to try!

Appreciate 2
tlow982188.00
gxe2se37.50
      04-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
I am the original purchaser, with receipt. My papers are in order :-)
nice! i need to better apprehend while i read :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep

Four days after submitting the claim I received a new FSD. Installed it, all good, sending the old one back in the same box. Return shipping is on me but I've no problem with that.
A+ for Koni customer service.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #10
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Four days after submitting the claim I received a new FSD. Installed it, all good, sending the old one back in the same box. Return shipping is on me but I've no problem with that.
A+ for Koni customer service.
Had you already installed the old suspension before sending it back?
Appreciate 0