F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Will FBO void timing chain warranty?
proTUNING Freaks

04-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
Will FBO void timing chain warranty?

Hi guys,

Only issue I’m afraid of my 428i is the N20/N26 timing chain issue. I haven’t seen / heard (from very little data pool) of 4 series having this issue, but there is still a N20/26 inside. I have FBO (intercooler, intake, chargepipes, downpipe and planning to put in the turbo to intake pipe when MSFT comes out with one); no mods on engine.

I have enough money to cover it out of pocket if I catch it early (I heard 2-4K) but I do have 72k mile extended warranty notice.

Will warranty likely / unlikely be active for the TC and what damages TC cause in event of a failure(if it blows up my engine) with my mods?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Typically engine mods void engine failures. Especially for a limited coverage extended warranty. At that point you would be relying on BMW to issue a recall or other official notice to cover just the timing chain.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecitizenfour View Post
Hi guys,

Only issue I’m afraid of my 428i is the N20/N26 timing chain issue. I haven’t seen / heard (from very little data pool) of 4 series having this issue, but there is still a N20/26 inside. I have FBO (intercooler, intake, chargepipes, downpipe and planning to put in the turbo to intake pipe when MSFT comes out with one); no mods on engine.

I have enough money to cover it out of pocket if I catch it early (I heard 2-4K) but I do have 72k mile extended warranty notice.

Will warranty likely / unlikely be active for the TC and what damages TC cause in event of a failure(if it blows up my engine) with my mods?

Thanks
Depends on your SA and the shop foreman. If your SA is mod friendly, he can get your car back there, but it's ultimately up to the shop foreman. Even if he isn't a huge fan of mods, he may realize that FBO isn't the cause and give you the go ahead. Talk with your SA and see what he says. I've already been given the go-ahead from mine, but I do my due diligence and check for the noise for 1k miles or so.

Worst comes to worst, you take it to an indy or do it yourself.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Depends on your SA and the shop foreman. If your SA is mod friendly, he can get your car back there, but it's ultimately up to the shop foreman. Even if he isn't a huge fan of mods, he may realize that FBO isn't the cause and give you the go ahead. Talk with your SA and see what he says. I've already been given the go-ahead from mine, but I do my due diligence and check for the noise for 1k miles or so.

how do you go about checking specifically for the noise? don't you "check for it" every time you drive the car? from what I understand you really can't miss it.
      04-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
how do you go about checking specifically for the noise? don't you "check for it" every time you drive the car? from what I understand you really can't miss it.
The easiest way is to take off the oil cap and listen while someone revs slowly. At least for me, unless it actually pops up, I'm not sure how loud it'll be. Between my turbo spooling, which is loud AF now, and the exhaust, it's hard to tell while in the cabin.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
rjd_F302000.50
      04-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post

Last time I spoke to my SA before the mods, she said the service won't (obviously) cover the modded part or the components that are connected to the modded part. So I'm not sure if that TECHNICALLY covers the engine or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Last time I spoke to my SA before the mods, she said the service won't (obviously) cover the modded part or the components that are connected to the modded part. So I'm not sure if that TECHNICALLY covers the engine or not.
I would follow-up with her to find out then. Typically those parts do void a warranty.

I had a buddy who was turned away from replacing the HPFP because of a downpipe.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
You void anything that is connected or affected. So for example a tune will void driveshaft/axle replacement, even though it's not connected because it is affected by the added power.

I don't always trust shop foremen because it could be a new guy by the time you actually need a warranty repair or they could just change your mind. Use your best judgement, weigh the risk, and worst comes to worst take it to a different shop until you find one that is mod friendly. But in general, it's voided.

However if you're able to swap parts before bringing it in then that would be the best case scenario. Like if it dies on the road, have it towed to your house so you can swap stock parts back on then take it to the dealer.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

If you're thinking it might be void it, you probably shouldn't take the risk.

BMW, you need to pay to play

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Im in the same boat. Not going to mod until...
a) warranty runs out
b) timing chain starts whining and it gets replaced
c) I trade up for a 2/340i when warranty is out lol
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post

Exactly. There are times that BMW will hook you up on the warranty if you know the SA/Foreman well, but never rely on it. Just remember that most things are much cheaper if you do them yourself. Timing chain replacement might be an exception... Getting that front seal out alone is a pain.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post

I guess I already did and I’ll pay for it if it happens and they don’t fix it. Rip. If anything it gives me an excuse to buy a new car.
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00