F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Front Struts Collapsing
proTUNING Freaks

04-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Front Struts Collapsing

Hi All,

I have a 2014 F32 428i xDrive with aftermarket rims (specifically Aodhan LS007 18" (18x9)).

I heard back from the dealership today after doing my last check before my warranty expires and they told me my front struts are going to collapse soon because of the the rims he says my car should has 18x8 and anything bigger is going to mess up the suspension. What do you guys think? What should I do in this case? Let insurance replace it (cause will be potholes). Go aftermarket? To support the aftermarket rims?
2014 Black Sapphire Metallic F32 428i xDrive M Sport | Gloss Black Striped Dual Slat Kidney Grills | CF M4 Style Mirror Caps | CF M4 Style Trunk Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | Rohana RFX5 Gloss Gold 20" | CF Wrapped Interior | BM3 Stage 2 93 Agg Tune | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe | Pheonix Racing Intercooler | K&N Drop In Filter|
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon428i View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2014 F32 428i xDrive with aftermarket rims (specifically Aodhan LS007 18" (18x9)).

I heard back from the dealership today after doing my last check before my warranty expires and they told me my front struts are going to collapse soon because of the the rims he says my car should has 18x8 and anything bigger is going to mess up the suspension. What do you guys think? What should I do in this case? Let insurance replace it (cause will be potholes). Go aftermarket? To support the aftermarket rims?

sounds like a bunch of bs to get some money from you, dumbest shit ever, don't go back to that SA or dealership
      04-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

sounds like a bunch of bs to get some money from you, dumbest shit ever, don't go back to that SA or dealership
It's weird because he's been a great SA to me. I originally told him that my ride has been pretty harsh and this was what he replied to me with. He said it'd cost about 6k but if that's the case I'd just go aftermarket.

If what he's saying is true and my struts are failing, how can I make sure and what would I do from there.
2014 Black Sapphire Metallic F32 428i xDrive M Sport | Gloss Black Striped Dual Slat Kidney Grills | CF M4 Style Mirror Caps | CF M4 Style Trunk Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | Rohana RFX5 Gloss Gold 20" | CF Wrapped Interior | BM3 Stage 2 93 Agg Tune | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe | Pheonix Racing Intercooler | K&N Drop In Filter|
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Hi All,

Yes sounds like BS. Have another mechanic take a look.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
It's weird because he's been a great SA to me. I originally told him that my ride has been pretty harsh and this was what he replied to me with. He said it'd cost about 6k but if that's the case I'd just go aftermarket.

If what he's saying is true and my struts are failing, how can I make sure and what would I do from there.
6k???? please run!!!!... so it costs more to replace your struts than buying a used engine???....I'm sorry dude but your SA is a con artist
      04-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:

How many miles are on your car?

Wheels causing your shocks to wear out is plain nonsense unless the offset is wrong and it is physically impacting the strut. The OE shocks in the F cars wear out quicker than any car I have ever owned. I replaced mine with KW V2's at 60k (704 suspension) and literally, all of them were seeping and had barely any compression or rebound performance left. For what it's worth, my car rode more harshly on the worn out shocks than the KW's.

I'm not sure how he thinks changing your wheels would help a failing strut, that's like getting a foot surgery to cure a meniscal tear.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:

Wheels causing your shocks to wear out is plain nonsense unless the offset is wrong and it is physically impacting the strut. The OE shocks in the F cars wear out quicker than any car I have ever owned. I replaced mine with KW V2's at 60k (704 suspension) and literally, all of them were seeping and had barely any compression or rebound performance left. For what it's worth, my car rode more harshly on the worn out shocks than the KW's.

I'm not sure how he thinks changing your wheels would help a failing strut, that's like getting a foot surgery to cure a meniscal tear.
About 49,970

I also live in NY so potholes here are bad, he said this may be the cause too, or a combination of both.

I am not even considering letting them work on my car anymore because my warranty is up, I just made this post to get more iinfo and see if i even have to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Quote:

About 49,970

I also live in NY so potholes here are bad, he said this may be the cause too, or a combination of both.
These roads around us are gnarly in some places, I never take my car into work in Manhattan.

Indy's in our area can be very good.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

You can buy 20" wheels for your car directly from BMW. Maybe your roads are wearing the car out, but your wheels are not. Maybe the Service Advisor got some bad info from a bad tech, but either way, it's BS.
      04-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
You can buy 20" wheels for your car directly from BMW. Maybe your roads are wearing the car out, but your wheels are not. Maybe the Service Advisor got some bad info from a bad tech, but either way, it's BS.
So 20" rims fit just fine on stock suspension? I just have to find the correct offset ?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

20" rims and potholes are a bad combination.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #12
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
20" rims and potholes are a bad combination.
Not for a masochist

I wouldn't run any more than an 18" in NYC, OP. Any larger and you're asking for cracked or bent wheels and wallet (again).
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I got 17s specifically to handle NYC potholes, and I don't even live there, I just visit regularly. The last thing I need is to bust a sidewall and/or bend a rim 5 hours away from home.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
So 20" rims fit just fine on stock suspension? I just have to find the correct offset ?
These are available for your car from BMW.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/3...-FORGED-WHEELS

So yes, 20s fit.
      04-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

this thread is all f'ed up.

starts off about a dealer saying your 18x9 wheels are blowing your struts and how the roads and potholes in the area are really bad

somebody mentions 20's out of the blue and now you're interested in 20" wheels in an area where you wouldn't want them.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I never said I was interested in 20" wheels.... I'm just taking in the information I'm getting from this thread, so I can go back to the dealer and tell him what I know... alohasurftoad If you have nothing relevant to add to this thread get off of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

it isnt about the size of the rims, its about sidewall hight
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #18
ez2c
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Frozen silver

Such bs I cant even believe those words came out with a straight face.
And if your shocks are failing and your still under warranty shouldn't they replace them?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #19
carbon428i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2c View Post
Such bs I cant even believe those words came out with a straight face.
And if your shocks are failing and your still under warranty shouldn't they replace them?
He told me over email and then in person but I figured since my car is now out of warranty they just wanted to get some money out of me.

He said since the struts failing are caused either due to the aftermarket rims or NYC potholes those are not covered.

Honestly I might just go the coil-over route, if i ever see my ride quality going down.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #20
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
He told me over email and then in person but I figured since my car is now out of warranty they just wanted to get some money out of me.

He said since the struts failing are caused either due to the aftermarket rims or NYC potholes those are not covered.

Honestly I might just go the coil-over route, if i ever see my ride quality going down.
Please do not tell this was Ralleye BMW.
The pothole insurance thing is the biggest racket that is going on for them to get a lot of money from the insurance company. Just been through it. To be honest after all the money they charged the insurance company to fix my car it still has this terrible clunking noise it originally had prior to them raping my insurance company.

In spite of claimed changing shocks,springs,hubs and one control arm, car still handles sloppy as hell in sport mode and worse in comfort mode, car still has annoying loud sound it had before when going over speed bumps.

Rims will never and could never do what they are trying to tell you.

Taking the damn car back this week coming.
      05-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
it isnt about the size of the rims, its about sidewall hight
The larger the rim the shorter the sidewall. Rubber and air combine to absorb shock, aluminum doesn't, so yes, the larger the rim the greater the potential for both wheel, tire and suspension component damage from bad roads. However, 18 inch rims aren't large enough to be problematic. Wider than stock rims aren't a problem so long as the wheels/tires still have sufficient clearance. Since $6k for front struts is at least $4k more than they should cost the dealer's intent here is pretty clear.
Appreciate 0