THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Carvana - 2015 M235i check engine light

04-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
N757AF
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Carvana - 2015 M235i check engine light

So I'm in the process of buying a 2015 M235i w/ manual trans from Carvana, and everything was on track for delivery on 4/5. Last night, got an email from them saying "We've detected an issue with your vehicle. An imperfection was found on your vehicle that requires our attention and meticulous repair." Fast forward to this morning and I spoke with them to ask what the issue was. Apparently when they turned on the car to put it on the truck, the check engine light was on and my delivery has now been delayed two weeks.

The only reason why I bought from Carvana was because this car was the exact model/color/interior that I wanted, with the packages that I wanted as well. However, if it's already throwing a CEL and I haven't even taken delivery, I'm second guessing my first BMW purchase. My dad owned two 5 series when I was growing up and swore up and down he would never own a bimmer again so now I'm worried.

Carvana is going to call me back after they've talked to their service center to see what code it is throwing, but given the 2 week delivery delay, I'm assuming it's not a gas cap. How reliable have your 2015 M235i's been, and would you just cancel this transaction and find another car?

Link for reference: https://www.carvana.com/search/2000110533
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I wouldn't get too nervous about this. They will likely get if fixed quickly and probably quote two weeks delay just to cover themselves in the unlikely event it's an issue which requires more extensive service or waiting on parts. Even so, you still have significant warranty left if the problem reoccurs after you take delivery. My 2016 m235 has been rock solid and as someone who is on this and other 2 Series forums, I can say these 2 Series cars don't seem to have many issues compared to issues reported on other forums for other cars. Even Consumer Reports lists the 2 Series as a "Best Buy" and as above or much above average for reliability. The N55 motor in the 2015 and 2016 cars has proven to be very good and very reliable. Take a breath an wait patiently for the car you have chosen. I will be worth the wait.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
N757AF5.00
      04-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

CEL could be minor. They might be quoting the 2 weeks based on trucking schedule.
I would not get too upset yet.

Find out what the CEL is all about and proceed accordingly.

These cars are not like the BMWs of old. The reliabiilty is much better. I have a 2013 335 with 50k Miles. Only had to replace one bad shock under warranty. Other than that, oil and brake fluid changes only.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Have a 2015 coming up on 30-K miles and never a CEL. I haven't had any real issues except I paid to have sensatec vinyl on my drivers seat patched - repairer thought it was due to manufacturing ( tautness and thickness of upholstery)
Also wanted to point out that it seems your car comes with 4 tires all the same size and 130moh top speed, if you had wider rear tires you'd have a 155 mh top speed - but w/o seeing the car in person or it's O.E. window sticker not positive.

Also looks like car has Yokohama tires which look kind of grand touring not high-performance.

I don't think there is a whole lot someone can tell you except either through modifications, accident or malfunction during warranty your getting a CEL.

Last edited by overcoil; 04-03-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My 2016 M235 with 22K miles is now 26 months old. It's had one CEL 1.5 years ago which was related to a tuning issue with respect to Midwest winter gas. The ECU was reflashed and that was it. No other issues to report.

These are not overly complex cars and the 2 Series has proven to be quite reliable by industry standards; however, it is a German car thus you should be prepared to have to deal with annoying electrical glitches/failed sensors and cooling, fuel injection, and ignition system component replacements as these cars age. And things are about twice as much to repair as a domestic/Japanese make. It's the price you pay to drive a fun and engaging car.
      04-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

PM sent
Appreciate 2
N757AF5.00
8Bmw168.00
      04-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
N757AF
Rep

Engine Control Module

Finally got a response from Carvana... they said the check engine light was on because the ECM (ECU) needed to be reset by BMW. That's all I was able to get from them about why the check engine light was on.

Can't help but wonder if the car was tuned/modded then driven hard and put up wet. Previous owner probably took off and sold his mods, then turned in his lease. Sounds like Carvana probably had to take it to BMW to reset the ECM back to factory.

I know I could still take delivery of the car, get a purchase inspection done then return it within the 7 day window if I wanted to, but that will also mean I will have wasted a month with Carvana's BS when I could have already gone to a few dealerships, test driven the cars on the spot, and driven off the lot the same day happy as a clam. What would you guys do?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I think your supposition regarding some type of tune being removed by the PO prior to lease return is probably a good guess. I'd be cautious myself and it sounds like you are thinking the same thing. I guess it comes down to how badly you want a 6MT car or how willing you are to wait for what you want. I would guess finding a good 6MT car on a dealer's lot in your area may be difficult. I'd at least do a search of the used cars at various BMW dealers within a reasonable drive of where you live and see what's available and at what price and go from there. The Carvana car may still be the one you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Since the ECU has been reset it needs to be driven around for a while to make sure there isn't still a problem.

Think I would back out of this if it was me, unless I was willing to get a really good warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
N757AF
Rep

Thanks for response p912guy. That's my biggest issue... I wanted a black M235i with the coral interior and manual transmission. Jumped on this car as soon as I saw it because it also had the packages I wanted. Like you said, now have to decide if this car is worth the gamble or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N757AF View Post
Finally got a response from Carvana... they said the check engine light was on because the ECM (ECU) needed to be reset by BMW. That's all I was able to get from them about why the check engine light was on.

Can't help but wonder if the car was tuned/modded then driven hard and put up wet. Previous owner probably took off and sold his mods, then turned in his lease. Sounds like Carvana probably had to take it to BMW to reset the ECM back to factory.

I know I could still take delivery of the car, get a purchase inspection done then return it within the 7 day window if I wanted to, but that will also mean I will have wasted a month with Carvana's BS when I could have already gone to a few dealerships, test driven the cars on the spot, and driven off the lot the same day happy as a clam. What would you guys do?
IF this car had a high power tune and was driven hard/put away wet as you suggested, I might have some concerns about the driveline/clutch with the 6MT.

Some people drive manual trans cars properly but I have also seen alot of clueless manual trans drivers.

I would keep looking. A car that may not be exactly the color combo you want when buying used may not be ideal BUT buying a bad BMW is a disaster. Take it from someone who did that once. Ironically, most of the trouble stemmed from the previous owner not knowing how to drive a manual trans BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Without knowing the previous configuration and use, I wouldn't touch it. Personally, I wouldn't touch a tuned car unless I knew the owner and history of the car. That's just me.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #13
N757AF
Rep

Decided to roll the dice. Wish me luck! Within two weeks of owning the car already experiencing a few "bugs," but overall very impressed with the car so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #14
p912guy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Looks great, hope it works out well for you. At least you still have some factory warranty left to help you get it all sorted out.
Appreciate 0