THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Banned Anti-Dazzle High Beam Headlight AD

04-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Banned Anti-Dazzle High Beam Headlight AD

Lately, I've I had a keen but passing interested in the operational function of modern day headlight systems, in general, not just BMW and what the future holds for this evolving technology.

A much debated topic is in the BMW world is if the anti-dazzle high beam (Not VLD) function is possible of being coded and functioning properly in the US, due to unconfirmed hardware limitations. I personally have the Xenon adaptive headlights and I can confirm that post-coding, the Anti-Dazzle High Beam feature is operational, as described. As far as blinding oncoming drivers, that I can't confirm with absolute certainty but I honestly doubt it "dazzles" anyone, based on my own observations.

I know the reason this function is decoded before it hits US bound vehicles is because of an outdated US law that prevents the beam pattern from having motion. After reading between the lines on the commentary from the National Highway Institute on the subject, I highly doubt this law will change anytime soon, as it not a priority, and they already felt they made a mistake by approving LED tail and headlights (Google it)...

This unfortunately stumps the growth of any future highlight technology from evolving, at lease in the US. Although the US government is not sold on benefits of new headlight technology, based on the fairly recent article I stumbled on below, it seems like even in countries where the Anti-Dazzle HB option is fully legal, there are still some who believe that the feature is not 100% effective...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html

Last edited by Poochie; 04-02-2018 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Yes. Certainly the automatic dimming thingie (I'm sure BMW gave it a better name) can be slow to respond when someone pops over a hill or around a curve, and I've seen a variance in how soon it notices a car ahead and dims for them.

That being the case, I have no doubt that the more advanced anti-dazzle would have the same issues, since it uses the same camera and (probably) logic, just with more clever hardware and shutters and such.

So yeah, they probably do go too far if they say it'll never dazzle you. Whether the public need protection against such things is a topic for another day.

As for operational in the US, I suspect it doesn't have everything needed. On some of the in-garage videos I've seen, there is an opaque shutter that drops down to blank the center of the lighted area, an absolute square cutoff. My car doesn't do that at all, so I suspect the shutters aren't in there.

With your coding, in a garage, do you see that absolutely square cutoff on the wall?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
Yes. Certainly the automatic dimming thingie (I'm sure BMW gave it a better name) can be slow to respond when someone pops over a hill or around a curve, and I've seen a variance in how soon it notices a car ahead and dims for them.

That being the case, I have no doubt that the more advanced anti-dazzle would have the same issues, since it uses the same camera and (probably) logic, just with more clever hardware and shutters and such.

So yeah, they probably do go too far if they say it'll never dazzle you. Whether the public need protection against such things is a topic for another day.

As for operational in the US, I suspect it doesn't have everything needed. On some of the in-garage videos I've seen, there is an opaque shutter that drops down to blank the center of the lighted area, an absolute square cutoff. My car doesn't do that at all, so I suspect the shutters aren't in there.

With your coding, in a garage, do you see that absolutely square cutoff on the wall?
I would be lying if I said I seen the 'square' beam cut off you're referring to, so there is that... However, I did with certainty saw the beams actually split into two separate directions, as the feature describes.

I attempted to see if anyone might be blinded by the Anti-Dazzle HB and flash me, to possible confirm some people's theory but I live in NYC where it is just infested with inconsiderate drivers, so they might just be numb to this.

Some people claims that the US headlights lack a "walze" or micro shutters for the Anti-Dazzle to function properly but I am going to have to agree to disagree until someone has some irrefutable proof that this is the case. There just isn't enough official evidence to support this claim, except for fact there are different part numbers for the Euro counterpart.

I read that the Audi Matrix LED headlights (Awesome option BTW!) is allowed in Europe but when Audi ships their vehicle to the US (Not Approved) they use different hardware. I don't get how the Audi people can confirm this with such certainty but us BMW folks are ambiguous on this subject...

Also, I believe there are coding perimeters to shorten the time for which the Anti-Dazzle HB deactivates after it senses an oncoming vehicle; it's set at 600 microsecond or so by default, so their is a slight delay written in the software for some reason. Also, when you code the Euro VLD/HB settings, supposedly the headlights get a tad bit brighter, in addition to a few other benefits that's not allowed in the US. So there are other advantages to the headlight Euro coding beside what is explicitly stated.

As far as US regulations go, I believe Dr. Gregory House said it best; "Rules are just helpful guidelines for stupid people who can't make up their own mind."

Last edited by Poochie; 04-02-2018 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Auto Dimming Headlights

Very interesting discussion and comments concerning your success in the activation of the auto high beam controls on your M235. I find the restrictions a little strange as I remember cars in the 50's and 60's having this option. There was a small device mounted on the dash, probably a light sensor. Honestly can't recall later models having it but they may have.
Would you mind sharing what options your car has. It would be interesting to compare it to mine and others who have tried coding the function. Also if you have the opportunity to evaluate the function further, your comments and opinions on its usefulness would be interesting.

I previously owned an Audi and followed some of the discussion of their advanced lighting system and the restrictions the TSB/NTSB was imposing on them. Having a background in aerospace design certification, I'm familiar with the problems caused by the introduction of new technology to replace existing. Typically it boils down to no existing standards that cover the technology and not being directed (funded) to test, evaluate and develop new standards, a very long and expensive process. I'm sure once they are more commonplace we will see North America adopt the European standards but for the interim we'll just have to wait.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
Ron Jeffries
Rep

Well, I reckon if you don't get the square shutter shadow in the middle, odds are you've not got the full hardware for the feature. I tend to agree on the rules but on the other hand House was really kind of an ******* even given how smart he was, and most of us here on earth aren't that smart and don't have such good dialog written for us.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #6
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Cumberlandjames

Hey, thanks for your feedback, cliffs notes version; we're discussing "Anti-Dazzle High Beam; in the US on the 228/235i with Xenon headlights its labeled as "High Beam Assistance" and was listed as a $250 option. On the new 240i, it is included when you opt for the $800 "Adaptive" LEDs, HBA is 'free.' The US version uses a camera to automatically deactivate/activate the HB when it senses an oncoming vehicle, saving one the trouble of having to constantly flip back and forth..

I had to Wiki it but I figured out what you're referring to; apparently back in the day, some automobiles had a control lever that allow the driver to manually override the beam pattern of the headlights. This option was eventually eliminated but it is a similar concept to what I am alluring to when I speak of the 'Anti-Dazzler' feature except nowadays, European vehicles 'automatically' control the beam pattern (high/lo) based on different algorithms (Speed, steering angle, on coming vehicles, ect). They are also able to "tunnel" the beam pattern around oncoming vehicles, avoiding glare, without completely shutting off the high beam(s).

1968, when the NHTSA was formed; their engineers wrote the rule that a US vehicle could only switch from high/low beam. When the laws was written, they didn't envision a time when a vehicle headlights would be capable of using a camera and lasers to control the beam patterns. As a result, before a European vehicles are allowed to be sold in US, all the headlight features (Anti-dazzle HB) must be decoded the features to adhere to NHTSA antiquated law. "Coding" basically changes the vehicles software to allow European standard of "tunneling" beam headlights from what is restricted. Lots of info on the subject, on this forum.

Based on the current administration's trajectory, I see anything federally related as being on auto-pilot, so I don't expect anything happening anytime soon, as far as NHTSA is concern. Audi and Lexus has been petitioning the NHTSA for years to change the law, with no success. The NHTSA has said recently that LED brake lights causes more rear-end accidents because people mistake them for taillight-only and they don't exhibit the same "warm glow" incandescent bulbs do, to the human senses. Same with LED headlights, they claim that Xenon bulbs allow more lumens in light outputs, even though LEDs are whiter, cheaper, and last longer. So I don't expect them to make unnecessary luxury headlight testing any kind priority, especially since it doesn't involve any sort of mandatory safety issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
Well, I reckon if you don't get the square shutter shadow in the middle, odds are you've not got the full hardware for the feature. I tend to agree on the rules but on the other hand House was really kind of an ******* even given how smart he was, and most of us here on earth aren't that smart and don't have such good dialog written for us.
I am aware that Dr. House is just a character; I saw interviews of Hugh Laurie on Late Night; he has a heavy London accent and he didn't know his butt from his elbow. The bald, fat, thankless Harvard graduates writers in the back is who deserves the credit for that witty remark..

However, rules and laws are in place so stupid don't f---k up though... A smart person doesn't need them... But like you said, that's a whole other discussion. We'll save that one for the SociologyAddicts forum.. Back to dem purrrty headlights
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

Seen some discussions regarding high beams in a couple threads now. Maybe I misunderstand what you are discussing, but the 2-series does not come with BMW Selective Beam. Not in the US, not in any other market. The high beam assistant on the 2-series is only an automatic on/off feature.

You have to move up to the 3-series and higher to get Selective Beam. This is adaptive headlights with no-glare high beam function. The (high) beam is actively controlled/adjusted to not dazzle other drivers rather than just turning the high beams on/off.
It is not in any way possible to code Selective Beam on a 2-series. Edit: -Well, turns out I was wrong about this! My bad

Last edited by OveN; 04-04-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #9
Ron Jeffries
Rep

It's in the manual, as are videos of how it works ...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveN View Post
Seen some discussions regarding high beams in a couple threads now. Maybe I misunderstand what you are discussing, but the 2-series does not come with BMW Selective Beam. Not in the US, not in any other market. The high beam assistant on the 2-series is only an automatic on/off feature.

You have to move up to the 3-series and higher to get Selective Beam. This is adaptive headlights with no-glare high beam function. The (high) beam is actively controlled/adjusted to not dazzle other drivers rather than just turning the high beams on/off.
It is not in any way possible to code Selective Beam on a 2-series.

Edit: I realize this thread is more on a general level than 2-series specific, but I have seen some posts where it seems some think this feature can be coded in on a 2-series. Hence, my 0.02.
The feature we're referring to is officially called "Selective Beam." In the US, it's decoded off. However, I see you're in Norway, so I am almost positive that as long as you have 'adaptive headlights' option on your vehicle, Selective Beam is already active from the factory.

From the 1 - 7 series, the headlight system is the same hardware just shaped differently to contour each vehicle's design. On the 5 and 7 series, vehicles equipped with the optional Night-Vision, they also uses feedback from the radar feature, to allow for a more accurate operation.

Also, on the i8, BMW offers another feature called "Laser Lights" which pretty much the next level to LED headlight. It cost about $8,000 in the US and it's decoded sooo badly before it hit our shores (US Laws ) that makes it becomes just a water-down version of how it's engineered and designed to officially operate. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
The feature we're referring to is officially called "Selective Beam." In the US, it's decoded off. However, I see you're in Norway, so I am almost positive that as long as you have 'adaptive headlights' option on your vehicle, Selective Beam is already active from the factory.

From the 1 - 7 series, the headlight system is the same hardware just shaped differently to contour each vehicle's design. On the 5 and 7 series, vehicles equipped with the optional Night-Vision, they also uses feedback from the radar feature, to allow for a more accurate operation.

Also, on the i8, BMW offers another feature called "Laser Lights" which pretty much the next level to LED headlight. It cost about $8,000 in the US and it's decoded sooo badly before it hit our shores (US Laws ) that makes it becomes just a water-down version of how it's engineered and designed to officially operate. Sad.
If you talk about regular driving lights I agree. I have understood that this feature is disabled in the US market. And I know this feature is active on my car as it can be observed with the naked eye

I disagree regarding high beam, but that was maybe not part of this discussion. I have a 2018 model with Adaptive LED. When I activate the high beam assist, the car simply turns the high beam on/off automatically corresponding to the surrounding traffic. There is no beam control as in blocking/steering part of the high beam to avoid dazzle. This corresponds to the description and animation for Adaptive LED lights for the 2-series on the Norwegian BMW website.

The description and animation for Adaptive LED lights on for example 3-series is different compared to the 1- and 2-series. For the 3-series the animation shows that the high beam is being partially "masked" to avoid interfering with other traffic, rather than just turning the high beam completely off like it does on my 2-series.

Translated from BMW.no, 2-series:
If the high beam assistant detects the tail lights of a car in front of you or if a car is coming towards you, the system automatically switches the high beam off and then on again.

Translated from BMW.no, 3-series:
The BMW Selective Beam automatically adjusts the high beam after the situation, so you have optimum visibility in the dark. The system monitors traffic in front of the car and oncoming traffic and regulates the high beam so that other road users do not get blinded.

Last edited by OveN; 04-03-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #12
greatness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: (F22) 2018 M240i

in that case, what exactly does 5AP and 8S4 disable on my 230i?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveN View Post
If you talk about regular driving lights I agree. I have understood that this feature is disabled in the US market. And I know this feature is active on my car as it can be observed with the naked eye

I disagree regarding high beam, but that was maybe not part of this discussion. I have a 2018 model with Adaptive LED. When I activate the high beam assist, the car simply turns the high beam on/off automatically corresponding to the surrounding traffic. There is no beam control as in blocking/steering part of the high beam to avoid dazzle. This corresponds to the description and animation for Adaptive LED lights for the 2-series on the Norwegian BMW website.

The description and animation for Adaptive LED lights on for example 3-series is different compared to the 1- and 2-series. For the 3-series the animation shows that the high beam is being partially "masked" to avoid interfering with other traffic, rather than just turning the high beam completely off like it does on my 2-series.

Translated from BMW.no, 2-series:
If the high beam assistant detects the tail lights of a car in front of you or if a car is coming towards you, the system automatically switches the high beam off and then on again.

Translated from BMW.no, 3-series:
The BMW Selective Beam automatically adjusts the high beam after the situation, so you have optimum visibility in the dark. The system monitors traffic in front of the car and oncoming traffic and regulates the high beam so that other road users do not get blinded.
The both you mention is same feature, I just found out, from you actually, that the official name is "Selective Beam" I refer to it as "anti-dazzle."

The "2 series" you mentioned is how it's coded in the US (High Beam on/off only). "3-series" is how it behaves AFTER coding (High Beam "tunnels" around vehicles). 2 or 3 series, it's all the same. If you want the coding perimeters, it's buried somewhere here on this forum or I could find it for you. He's a link that helped me at first, check it out, there's a wealth of information.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1086530&page=7
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #14
Ron Jeffries
Rep

That link, and the ones I've found nearby, use terms that I don't understand, probably relating to the earlier coding hardware in use at the time. For example, I don't understand what this means:

Remove 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and VO code the following ECUs: FEM_BODY, FLA or KAFAS (whichever is present), both TMS and both LHM.

What's a VO? How does one VO-code those items? Where are those items found in a bimmercode kind of world?

I still suspect that the shutters are absent but I'd sure give it a try if this stuff were translated into the simple language my tiny brain can understand.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Quote:
The both you mention is same feature, I just found out, from you actually, that the official name is "Selective Beam" I refer to it as "anti-dazzle."

The "2 series" you mentioned is how it's coded in the US (High Beam on/off only). "3-series" is how it behaves AFTER coding (High Beam "tunnels" around vehicles). 2 or 3 series, it's all the same. If you want the coding perimeters, it's buried somewhere here on this forum or I could find it for you. He's a link that helped me at first, check it out, there's a wealth of information.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1086530&page=7
I figured there actually was a hardware difference, due to the information given from BMW and the fact that the Adaptive LED option is same price for 1- and 2-series, but 20% more expensive on the 3-series. If you say coding to enable Selective Beam (for high beams) has been done on a 2-series, and it works, I believe you
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

*FEM_BODY* *Expert Mode* *3073*

In C_HBA_GRHB_ENA I made no changes. The default seems to be having the two lines that contain "F020Codierwert" and "F030Codierwert" checked.

In C_HBA_ENA Unchecked the line that contain "disable" and checked the the line that contain "F020_enable (0x01)" .

In C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA Unchecked the two lines containing "disable", and checked the line containing "F030_enable".

Code before leaving Expert Mode. Done. Worked for me on Adaptive Xenon. "Selective Beam" AKA "Anti-Dazzle."
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 04-04-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
OveN20.00
      04-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
I would be lying if I said I seen the 'square' beam cut off you're referring to, so there is that... However, I did with certainty saw the beams actually split into two separate directions, as the feature describes.

I attempted to see if anyone might be blinded by the Anti-Dazzle HB and flash me, to possible confirm some people's theory but I live in NYC where it is just infested with inconsiderate drivers, so they might just be numb to this.

Some people claims that the US headlights lack a "walze" or micro shutters for the Anti-Dazzle to function properly but I am going to have to agree to disagree until someone has some irrefutable proof that this is the case. There just isn't enough official evidence to support this claim, except for fact there are different part numbers for the Euro counterpart.
This topic has been discussed on the forum before.

I did the coding similar to you, and believe I have the Anti Dazzle feature working as it's easy to see the headlights moving independently as you described, and it absolutely has improved nighttime visibility versus the set up with which the car was originally delivered.

Can I conclusively say that the feature would not work even better if I had the headlights with a different part number that are used in Europe? I can't because I've never been able to directly compare them, but I would point out that I've seen lots of examples with German carmakers labeling an identical part with more than one part number when used on different models. My own belief is that the different part numbers prove nothing, but of course I'm not an expert on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #18
Ron Jeffries
Rep

When using this feature, is it with high beams on? As opposed to the other VLD thingie with them off? And do you put it in the automatic dim mode with the turn signal switch, or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
shark715
Captain
Rep

Ron, your car needs to be equipped with automatic highbeams, you need to have the headlight switch in the Automatic position, and you need to have the automatic highbeam switch turned on.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #20
Ron Jeffries
Rep

check, thanks. so with these settings, instead of auto dimming, they do all that waving around. sounds worth a try, tho everyone here but me is packing heat. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
shark715
Captain
Rep

Ron, not only do they wave around, they also have the capability to individually switch from low beam to high beam and vice versa. I've noticed that if at least one of the two headlights is in high beam mode, our blue high beam indicator will illuminate.

Another forum member mocked them as "dancing headlights", but this really does improve visibility, whether or not it's as good (or identical) to what can be had in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #22
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

Flawed all the time

Quote:
Lately, I've I had a keen but passing interested in the operational function of modern day headlight systems, in general, not just BMW and what the future holds for this evolving technology.

A much debated topic is in the BMW world is if the anti-dazzle high beam (Not VLD) function is possible of being coded and functioning properly in the US, due to unconfirmed hardware limitations. I personally have the Xenon adaptive headlights and I can confirm that post-coding, the Anti-Dazzle High Beam feature is operational, as described. As far as blinding oncoming drivers, that I can't confirm with absolute certainty but I honestly doubt it "dazzles" anyone, based on my own observations.

I know the reason this function is decoded before it hits US bound vehicles is because of an outdated US law that prevents the beam pattern from having motion. After reading between the lines on the commentary from the National Highway Institute on the subject, I highly doubt this law will change anytime soon, as it not a priority, and they already felt they made a mistake by approving LED tail and headlights (Google it)...

This unfortunately stumps the growth of any future highlight technology from evolving, at lease in the US. Although the US government is not sold on benefits of new headlight technology, based on the fairly recent article I stumbled on below, it seems like even in countries where the Anti-Dazzle HB option is fully legal, there are still some who believe that the feature is not 100% effective...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html
M240 X Drive with LED headlights and auto high beams. Oncoming cars flash their high beams at me frequently. Not sure it it's because the high beams were on and they saw them shut off, or they saw them on and think they are still on, or the LED headlights are so bright they think they must be high beams. I usually briefly flash back to make them aware that my high beams are not on.
Appreciate 0