E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Misfire in cylinder 2, 4, and 6.

03-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #1
Occ224
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Misfire in cylinder 2, 4, and 6.

Please read all I am stumped
I recently changed valvecover my self.
When I did it ran fine for a few hours then all of a sudden a crazy amount of white smoke, it could be blue I havent gotten the best look at it. It started misfiring aswell. I wwnt to autozone to have my codes ran and it said vacuum leak bank 1 and 2 (ive had and cant seem to get rid of) and misfire cylinder 2 and 4. I figured I should swap the ignition coils in bank 2 and 4 to bank 1 and 3 and see if it were my ignition coils or spark plugs. I drove it around and it ran fine with no misfire and then as soon as I did a slight pull in 3rd at 2.5k rpms eased into the gas around 50% maybe a little more it misfired to Where i couldn't accelerate and smoke dumped out the back. I went back to autozone and now it says misfire cylinder 2, 4, and 6. 2 and 4 spark plugs were the only ones with fresh oil on top of them but it was the smaller amount you can think of. Cylinder 6 had pieces of like a fuzzy flower leaf thing in it. I checked the tips of the plugs and they were fine. I put everything back together and it runs fine for now but i didnt do any sort of pull with it I'm scared all that smoke might be oil or coolant but im not low on coolant and I cant trust my oil gauge. What is causing this misfire??? Could it be my valve cover/spark plug well gaskets not being on correctly? Is it a fuel injector? Could all 3 spark plugs just go out? Please help any effort is greatly appreciated. I will literally send you a tip if you tell me the answer. Thank you. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
GEOS07335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occ224 View Post
Please read all I am stumped
I recently changed valvecover my self.
When I did it ran fine for a few hours then all of a sudden a crazy amount of white smoke, it could be blue I havent gotten the best look at it. It started misfiring aswell. I wwnt to autozone to have my codes ran and it said vacuum leak bank 1 and 2 (ive had and cant seem to get rid of) and misfire cylinder 2 and 4. I figured I should swap the ignition coils in bank 2 and 4 to bank 1 and 3 and see if it were my ignition coils or spark plugs. I drove it around and it ran fine with no misfire and then as soon as I did a slight pull in 3rd at 2.5k rpms eased into the gas around 50% maybe a little more it misfired to Where i couldn't accelerate and smoke dumped out the back. I went back to autozone and now it says misfire cylinder 2, 4, and 6. 2 and 4 spark plugs were the only ones with fresh oil on top of them but it was the smaller amount you can think of. Cylinder 6 had pieces of like a fuzzy flower leaf thing in it. I checked the tips of the plugs and they were fine. I put everything back together and it runs fine for now but i didnt do any sort of pull with it I'm scared all that smoke might be oil or coolant but im not low on coolant and I cant trust my oil gauge. What is causing this misfire??? Could it be my valve cover/spark plug well gaskets not being on correctly? Is it a fuel injector? Could all 3 spark plugs just go out? Please help any effort is greatly appreciated. I will literally send you a tip if you tell me the answer. Thank you. Good day.
Based on what your saying did you recheck the vacuum lines to the boost solenoids and brake booster and canisters? did you clean out your pcv valve ? Sounds like you might have gotten some contaminates in when you took off the VC or put it back on. Also the oil on the plugs were probably already there since you had a leak right? How many miles on the plugs and coils? If your getting oil on plugs after you cleaned them and put them back in sounds like you still have a gasket leak. Did you make sure to snug on all the bolts check the ones closest to the plugs on the inside and the three nearest to the firewall.

I just did my VCG and got vanos errors . I also got a lot of smoke. Let me know what you find the smoke on mine concerns me