E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > White Smoke

03-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

White Smoke

Recently tuned and deleted. I'm now getting a rather large cloud of white smoke on the first acceleration after idling for a little while. If I'm waiting for a long time at a light or leave it idling for a while I get a rather large cloud of whitish smoke on acceleration (not limited to WOT). It seems to clear up quite quickly and I don't notice it when driving or after a short stop. It seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of weeks. No codes (and yes my codes still work). I would have to assume it's oil burning. If it's oil I would guess CCV or valve cover gasket (highly doubt turbo seals). My first guess would be CCV and potentially oil pooling in intercooler and the acceleration (and boost) blows it into the intake at once? How would I go about checking this theory? Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

https://youtu.be/_tiCMywSF5s

So it was dark when I got around to doing this but it will give you an idea of the quantity of smoke. I'll try to get a similar video tomorrow in the daylight.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Here's a couple links that might help (there's also threads on here with discussions on various forms of smoke). Based on having full deletes and what you're describing and the ambient conditions and your short video, I'm not sure it's actually a "problem"...

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/reading-exhaust-smoke/

https://costeffective.com.au/2017/03...s-you-a-story/

Here's a thread from 335dsleeper regarding a valve cover replacement helping a "smoke" problem, but it seems to be different characteristics than what you are describing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456308
      04-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
https://youtu.be/_tiCMywSF5s

So it was dark when I got around to doing this but it will give you an idea of the quantity of smoke. I'll try to get a similar video tomorrow in the daylight.
You ever find out the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

does it do this only when the motor is cold, or does it do the same thing after you drive for along time all the time?

To check to see if the CCV is leaking pull the tube off the intake pipe and plug the hole on the intake.. drive around and see if it stops it would probably be best to run a tube into a well vented bottle and that way you could see how much oil is coming out the CCV at the same time..

valve cover gaskets tend to leak more under boost conditions if i remember right... almost sounds like a valve seal is bad...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

So I replaced the valve cover gasket but I haven't driven it much. Right now it's at the dealer for FRM. My valve cover gasket was in terrible shape and it appears that oil was leaking down the side of the motor. I've put less than 20 miles on it since, but I was still getting some white smoke. I hope it's just oil that was left in the intercooler. Hopefully this next week I will be able to put some miles on and see if the smoke goes away.

As to the conditions that would cause smoke, it started smoking a little at idle. On acceleration after idling the amount of smoke increased to a large plume. Much more than in the video. I didn't notice smoke while driving, but I assume there was some smoke there too. It also started leaking oil.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Exactly how "tuned and deleted" we talkin' here? More specifically, what happened to the EGR cooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Exactly how "tuned and deleted" we talkin' here? More specifically, what happened to the EGR cooler?
Tuned with Malone 2.9. All stock emmission equipment is gone. Turbo back exhaust, EGR deleted, and def tanks removed. The EGR coolant lines were capped and don't appear to be leaking. Stock turbos and stock fuel system.

I didn't notice any more oil leaking, so I think the valve cover was indeed bad. If the smoke doesn't clear up it may be a bad CCV system or turbo seals. Hoping it's not a turbo at this point (in a year or 2 I would like a reason to upgrade).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I'd be watching the oil level very closely.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

Another follow-up. The white smoke is now gone without any other changes. I noticed it become much worse after treating with diesel extreme. I've since a full tank after the diesel extreme (with EDT) and the smoke just disappeared one day. My best guess is that the white smoke was unburned fuel caused by a sticking or piddling injector. My rings must still be pretty good as I didn't notice a rising oil level. I will do an oil analysis to determine the amount of dilution.

I think the fuel treatment was both the cause of and solution to my problem. I would guess that during the cleaning process it got worse before it got better. Next time I treat with diesel extreme I will post back if the same thing happens again. Just glad I didn't spend $43 per injector getting them tested when there doesn't seem to be a long term problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
rbreding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328d, 335d, x5d

When I upgraded my IC to the ATM at 65k I drained out about 8oz of oil in the factory IC. That problem should be nearline solved with the catch can installation.

What is your current mileage on the vehicle? I would probably do another extreme dose at the 5-6k mark to give the injectors another cleaning. In a similar note I am halfway through a tank of extreme on a VW tdi I just dosed at 170k.
Appreciate 0